Author Topic: Dry and Wet Bulb Thermometers in place  (Read 1377 times)

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
Dry and Wet Bulb Thermometers in place
« on: November 22, 2015, 05:01:36 PM »
Today I finally got my rack finished and my lab-grade mercury in glass thermometers mounted inside my Stevenson screen. One is configured as a dry bulb and the other as a wet bulb. The chart in the middle helps me get a quick humidity reading. I have calibrated my Davis sensor to the dry bulb and so far it has been very accurate in comparison. My humidity is still pretty close, but the sensor is seven years old so I may get a new replacement anyway from Scaled Instruments.
Bud

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Dry and Wet Bulb Thermometers in place
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 05:50:20 PM »
My SHT11 was 7 years old when I replaced it with a 15, and it was time. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely a difference.

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 06:54:45 PM »
On my old wet bulb setup I would refill about once a month. It does not evaporate as fast as you think it would. Here in the summer time the hard part is keeping wasps out of the shelter as they had a nice place to take a drink in the shade..

How much water do you go-through with that setup? Down here in Arid-zona, I'd be refilling that container every couple HOURS (ha,ha).

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 07:13:24 PM »
The only thing I use it for is to compute the humidity to check against my other sensors. The evaporation rate speeds up and slows down and it's pretty cool to see it physically instead of just some random humidity reading on the PC each day.

anything