Author Topic: Vantage Pro 2 Problems  (Read 19688 times)

Offline mikejeep

Re: Vantage Pro 2 Problems
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
I don't have a battery installed right now because they only last a couple of days
It would be interesting to see how long a battery would last if you clipped one of the leads to the capacitor as Dan suggested.
Well in the interest of experimentation, I just cut one of the leads and dropped in a new battery; I did read on another forum that this prevented the battery from draining as quickly, so my fingers are crossed.  It would be nice if this worked, then my station (and others in the future) wouldn't be down while waiting for parts.

FYI, it has been over a week since I clipped one lead, and I haven't had a problem since.  It appears that when the supercap fails but remains connected, it sucks the battery dry.  Based on Davis' claim of 8 months with no sunlight, I would have to guess one could operate like this for at least a year if the solar panels get normal sun during the day.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »

FYI, it has been over a week since I clipped one lead, and I haven't had a problem since.  It appears that when the supercap fails but remains connected, it sucks the battery dry.  Based on Davis' claim of 8 months with no sunlight, I would have to guess one could operate like this for at least a year if the solar panels get normal sun during the day.

Another member with a potential super cap problem has posted recently.  Just curious... is yours still working on the battery only?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:39:38 AM by tomcj2 »

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline mikejeep

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »

Another member with a potential super cap problem has posted recently.  Just curious... is yours still working on the battery only?

Yes it is!  Since I clipped one of the leads it has been working just as it did before I had any problems.  No low battery problems, no outages at night.  The mailman actually delivered my new capacitor today, but since it's working fine I'm not in a big rush to take it down for a few days to have a friend solder it up.