Author Topic: replacement outdoor thermo/hygro for WMR928N  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Suebeesley

replacement outdoor thermo/hygro for WMR928N
« on: December 30, 2010, 06:42:44 AM »
Hi,

After 5 years packed in a box we've just dug out our old WMR928N, replaced the batteries in the components and everything works fine except the outdoor thermo/hygro.  I've looked back through some older threads here and on a few compatibility charts, but the suggested replacement THGR228 looks like an indoor unit to me, with vulnerable seals/unnecessary displays etc. and THGR122 isn't listed as being compatible.

Have I missed something?

Thanks

Sue

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: replacement outdoor thermo/hygro for WMR928N
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:07:57 AM »
I saw this but haven't looked up who sells them and availability.

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/service/sensors/default.asp  )

Welcome to the forum BTW!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:11:43 AM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
I couldn't find much info about a 928.  I don't really know what the differences are with the 968.  I found a picture of the 928 and it doesn't look any different.

What are the differences?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »
I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but thought the two were interchangeable and that the numbers were U.S. and EU models, frequencies the same. Possibly for the atomic clocks?

Found a UK forum with some folks discussing their 928 compatibility with the U.S.'s 968.  http://www.stormchase.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=37370&posts=6&start=1
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:45:55 AM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:34:16 AM »
I couldn't find much info about a 928.  I don't really know what the differences are with the 968.  I found a picture of the 928 and it doesn't look any different.

What are the differences?

Investigating further, I have found this from another posting here from W3DRM:

The following two paragraphs are taken directly from the FreeWX website:

FreeWX and FreeWX-Wi are full featured Windows programs to collect, display, store and upload weather data from electronic weather stations made by Oregon Scientific. Weather stations supported are the WM-918 hard wired station and the identical Radio Shack WX-200 rebadged version as well as the WMR-918/928/968 wireless stations and the corresponding Radio Shack 63-1016 (Accuweather) rebadged version. Sadly it appears that sometime around June 2003 Oregon Scientific stopped manufacturing the very popular WM-918 hard wired station.

The URL for this software is as follows:

http://insvr1.midcoastwater.com.au/FreeWX/_sgg/f10000.htm

It would appear that the 918/928/968 are all about the same (at least from a software point of view).  However, I still don't know if the sensors/transmitters are interchangeable.   :-k

Back to the research.........

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Suebeesley

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
Hi, thanks for all your input.

On the face of it, our WMR928 kit looks the same as the 968 in the picture - presume they were made for EU and US markets as suggested.

The THGR928 unit looks interesting - we'll need to find out if it is compatible. I can't find a UK source though - don't know why.

Another way forward is to get the unit we have repaired.  There's nothing wrong with the solar charger - we swapped it for the rain guage one to test it. But the PCB inside the thermometer unit looks a bit crappy in places. Looks like quite a basic PCB to fix if you know what you're doing (I don't!)

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 04:51:42 PM »
 The big thing with OS systems is the protocol used for their devices. 928/968 are Protocol 2 devices where the new stuff uses Protocol 3 (100,200) so any unit using protocol 2 should be able to talk with each other. Check the manual of them on line with generally in the first page they list the protocol.

anything