Author Topic: Length for WMR-200 Wire Antenna?  (Read 4339 times)

Offline LTCSZ

• Hedgehog Alley
Length for WMR-200 Wire Antenna?
« on: June 01, 2011, 09:00:29 AM »
OK, I apologize in advance...I know this post is in here somewhere, and I have searched for it; I need the length of the wire to use for the WMR-200 antenna fix; The one that is twisted around the antenna and then extends upward...Not the fancy, take the unit apart fix...Just the wire...Thanks...

Steve
Steve
Retired Lieutenant Colonel, USA
Garden City, KS, USA

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
Re: Length for WMR-200 Wire Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:40:27 AM »
Basically the stock antenna is a dipole (think rabbit ears).  If you make an external antenna of the same type, each section should be approximately 6.48 inches give or take.  Anything reasonably close should work quite well.Th shield (braid) of the coax gets soldered to one leg and the center conductor gets soldered to the other.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline LTCSZ

• Hedgehog Alley
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:17:18 PM »
Thanks for the reply, but I don't have the intestinal fortituded to open the unit...I am very dangerous with a soldering iron...I kinow I saw a mod that involves just wrapping a length of wire around the existing external antenna...i just need the length of the wire and how much to wrap and how much to leave sticking out at the top...Thanks again,

Steve
Steve
Garden City, KS, USA

Offline FrozenPenguin

• FrozenPenguin
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what antenna is in question here, and why the mod ( i assume range ?)
Oregon Scientific WMR200A + UV

Weather Site | | CWOP:7791

Offline LTCSZ

• Hedgehog Alley
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
I am referring to the exterior, stock antenna...I am having difficulty receiving the rain gauge at my console...I have read that there is a simple (non-soldering) tweak involving wrapping a wire of a certain length around the external antenna...

Steve
Steve
Garden City, KS, USA

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »
If you are going to passive couple a length of wire to the external antenna I would not be too concerned about the actual length.  I would try a few different lengths and see if the signal improves.  You may very well find that the signal improves sufficiently to make the link to the rain gauge reliable.  Since this changes the characteristics of the antenna, exact results are hard to predict.  Before I added the external antenna, I wrapped random lengths of wire around the external antenna.  All helped.  I wouldn't use too long a wire - say something in the range of 12-18 inches.  Give it a try and see what happens.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Some report good results with a simple paper clip, here:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=4892.0

Or search for "WMR200 Paper Clip" on this forum.

Offline BaronV

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 07:16:35 PM »
an alternative might be to take a length of aluminium foil and wrap it around the current antenna to increase the lenght, but again results will vary quite significantly.

an alternative that is sure to increase your  reception is to make a reflector out of some cardboard and aluminium foil. Depending on where your console and instruments are make cut some cardboard in a parabolic shape and stick some aluminium foil to it. Then place it behind the antenna such that the focal point of the parabola is at the antenna

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 01:17:19 AM »
Take a look down at reply #3. http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,37718.msg308386.html

This worked for me too, but I would advise making a loop in the wire at the top to prevent injury.

Alan
Alan