Author Topic: RED #706 will be going offline today  (Read 997 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
RED #706 will be going offline today
« on: March 24, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
We are in the process of boxing up and getting ready to move. I am taking the RED station down today.
The Green USB6.8 will soon follow.
It might be a few weeks before I get back up and running in the new location. (Rogers City, MI)

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: RED #706 will be going offline today
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
 :twisted: That weird interference has finally driven you out of the area, huh Greg? ;)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
Actually, in the new location I have some big power lines out front. I am going to put the antennas in the garage (max distance) in hopes that the old inverse-square law holds true...

I think that my most serious problem with interference was the neighbor's plasma TV. That was the "big ugly" noise. So at least moving might take care of that, unless my new neighbors have them too. ](*,)

I am also hoping that it will be simple 60Hz harmonics that the HPF can take care of.

If this doesn't work, I might be looking for a cheap lot out in the woods that has power. Anyone running RED on solar? Of course there's that pesky "Internet" problem...

Greg

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:09:15 PM »
We are in the process of boxing up and getting ready to move. I am taking the RED station down today.
It might be a few weeks before I get back up and running in the new location. (Rogers City, MI)

Greg

Best of luck on the move Greg.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:44:59 PM »

Greg

Best of luck on the move Greg.

Joe

+1...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »
Actually, in the new location I have some big power lines out front. I am going to put the antennas in the garage (max distance) in hopes that the old inverse-square law holds true...

I think that my most serious problem with interference was the neighbor's plasma TV. That was the "big ugly" noise. So at least moving might take care of that, unless my new neighbors have them too. ](*,)

I am also hoping that it will be simple 60Hz harmonics that the HPF can take care of.

If this doesn't work, I might be looking for a cheap lot out in the woods that has power. Anyone running RED on solar? Of course there's that pesky "Internet" problem...

Greg

Cable guy just left the house here in Rogers City and thought that I would give the internet a try with the laptop.
I had RED running connected to the laptop (only) and I am happy to report that the noise is actually better here. The fields must be just lower harmonics of 60Hz and the HPF is taking care of it.  :grin:

I can run higher gain and it is still OK. Of course, the house is empty except for Blitzortung and the laptop. Once I get the other cacophony of switching power supplies running here it might be a different story. I'll add one device at a time to be sure.

Thanks for the well wishes on the move. I am enjoying day two of retirement!

Greg

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 03:03:02 PM »
Thanks
for the well wishes on the move. I am enjoying day two of retirement!

Congrats!   =D>

I sure will be glad when I can retire! 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »

Greg

Cable guy just left the house here in Rogers City and thought that I would give the internet a try with the laptop.
I had RED running connected to the laptop (only) and I am happy to report that the noise is actually better here. The fields must be just lower harmonics of 60Hz and the HPF is taking care of it.  :grin:

I can run higher gain and it is still OK. Of course, the house is empty except for Blitzortung and the laptop. Once I get the other cacophony of switching power supplies running here it might be a different story. I'll add one device at a time to be sure.

Thanks for the well wishes on the move. I am enjoying day two of retirement!

Greg

Since I didn't have my router with me, I plugged ol' RED directly into the cable modem and let it pull an IP address. Station #706 is up and running from Rogers City Michigan. This is a lash-up and will be permanently installed in a few weeks. (or when Blitzortung is banished from the spare room...)

Greg