Author Topic: WS-2813U-IT won't download data and rain gauge not working  (Read 3808 times)

Offline raymason

WS-2813U-IT won't download data and rain gauge not working
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:41:17 AM »
So my LaCrosse WS-2813U-IT work good for about a year then the data would no longer download. The currdat.LST updates fine and I can use weather display to log data. LaCrosse wasn't much help beside reset the device. Seems like a common problem with these units. Seems like it must be hardware somewhere just wondering if anybody ever found out the problem. My other issue is the rain gauge, it does not transmit. I check the reed switch and it working. When I take the batteries out, the display unit still shows fully charge batteries for the rain gauge.  Will probably be looking for another weather station. Are there reasonable priced ones out there that will work 10+ years?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: WS-2813U-IT won't download data and rain gauge not working
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »
Define reasonable.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 04:03:27 AM »
As for the rain gauge, I'd double check that the batteries are at least 1.5 volts each (don't assume just because they're new that they're good). Secondly that the batteries are making good contact with the terminals. Remove any foreign substance that may be on the terminals (oxidation, corrosion, etc.). Bend them out slightly if they're not making contact.
Once everything is confirmed good and the rain gauge has its batteries in place, reset the therm/hygro sensor (remove and replace it's batteries) and wait at least 2 minutes before the console gets reset (remove and replace its batteries - not just pressing the up arrow button).

You mention the 'data would no longer download'. You also say that the currdat.LST updates and Weather Display logs the data. This description of symptoms indicates that the weather station is doing its job and working. When you say it would no longer download are you talking about on-line downloads like to WU or website(s)?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:31:25 AM by DanS »

Offline raymason

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:33:27 AM »
Well for reasonable I mean less than 200.00.

Over the winter I let  my batteries die as I wasn't monitoring the station. I replaced all the batteries in all the units about a week ago and checked them with my voltmeter and did a full reset. After first replacing them the history.dat file updated a total of 6 times before stopping permanently which was one of the problems I had last year. Seems like something in the electronics is shot. It is puzzling that the curdat.lst updates but not the history.dat.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »
I can tell you that *I* would not waste money on a Fine Offset (1080, 1090) staton.  Luckily Costco took it back (Nat Geo 265).  I am trying the $115 Acurite station now.  Other than a dud extra sensor that Acurite is replacing free of charge, so far, so good.  But if you are in this for the long haul, Davis is the way to go.  At about 4 times the cost, minimum.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
You can get a very good Davis Weather Monitor II or Wizard III for about the same price on eBay. I had LaCrosse for a few years, and it was pretty much JUNK! Nuff said!!!

anything