Author Topic: WS2812 Outdoor Humidity  (Read 4438 times)

Offline Duck Fan

• UPS Driver, Tool Sharpener, Rock Drummer
WS2812 Outdoor Humidity
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
The outdoor humidity reading on my WS2812 always stays at 1%...never changes...do I need to calibrate or something?

Nick
Nick

Davis Vantage Pro2  LaCrosse WS2812 Modified   
WU: KORSCIO3  PWS: SCIOWX21

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS2812 Outdoor Humidity
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »
Kinda sounds like you're heading down this road again. bummer.

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
I have taken apart twice and rinsed with distilled water and carefully dried and put back together and both times starts off spot on and then slowley drops lower and lower to 15 or so % and thats not correct reading. I am comparing to my VP2, its at Outside temp 57, outside humidity 66, dew point at 46.
Nick

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »
It appears that Modern Outpost has updated their stock for LaCrosse spare parts. Seems like they have even the older (original) WS2800 series sensors which are next to impossible to find. If you order a replacement thermo/hygro sensor (2 types) watch out for the firmware versions, one will work and the other won't. Power cycle your console and the firmware version is displayed for a second or so at the bottom. I'm going to look into a couple postal route options and possibly order some spares while I see them.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:02:36 AM by DanS »

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 01:02:20 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Dan,  Going to give Lacrosse a call in the morning and see if they can do anything for me, (I had such good luck with them last time =D>)...wish me luck

Nick
Nick

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
Received the new Thermo-Hygro Sensor today and all is well :grin:
Nick

Offline kokketiel

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:02:08 AM »
Our 2812 thermo-hygro sensor did the same thing.  The humidity was stuck at 1% for a long time, except for a couple hours in the middle of the day.  That, unfortunately, deteriorated into no temp or humidity displayed on the console, although the sensor still seemed to relay the wind / rainfall data.  This past weekend I opened up the sensor and cleaned everything with alcohol and a toothbrush, but no luck.

I've been checking Costco weekly for a new cheap weather station, but was also looking to get a "real" weather station (Davis Vantage Vue).  Then, to my surprise, Costco had the La Crosse C84612 for ~$80 yesterday.  It doesn't come with a USB stick, but instead comes with their internet gateway. 

I bought it regardless, and was very happy to find that it uses exactly the same sensors as the 2812.  I used the new thermo-hygro sensor, paired it with my existing old sensors and old 2812 console, and everything was back up and running and posting data to Weather Underground.  I also paired the new console to the sensors, so we now have a second console in our bedroom, and I have a spare rainfall and wind sensor.  Not too bad for $80.

I haven't really unpacked the rest of the box yet.  It would interesting to see if somebody is able to hack the internet gateway, although my brief Googling hasn't shown much promise yet.  Maybe if I'm bored over the winter months I can take a crack at it.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:06:04 AM by kokketiel »

Offline JoesHouse

• Joe's House at the Beach
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 06:12:07 PM »
Good deal, sounds like the answer to back up sensors.
Just had my temp-hygro sensor (quit relaying anything) and wind sensor (solar panel had water in it) replaced by Lacrosse.
but that would give me spares for low $$.
Lacrosse WS2813 - Heavy Weather Pro  WUHU :KFLFERNA7

anything