Author Topic: Atlas fan issue.  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Denpat

Atlas fan issue.
« on: June 02, 2019, 08:02:34 PM »
I am curious if anyone is having the same issue with their Atlas fan stopping when the sun goes under a cloud then not wanting to start again when the sun comes out. I have been having this problem for some time, but haven’t been able to diagnose the problem. I think that it is a problem with the solar, but can’t prove its not the fan. 

I have been waiting for someone else to post about this problem but haven’t seen anything so far. I have checked to make sure the temperature module has been installed properly and that the fan turns properly. When the fan runs it is very quite and maintains the proper temperature.
R
I will be interested to see what everyone says about this issue.

Denpat
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:06:07 PM by Denpat »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Atlas fan issue.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »
I am curious if anyone is having the same issue with their Atlas fan stopping when the sun goes under a cloud then not wanting to start when the sun comes out.
This was (don't know now) typical behavior of Davis fans after "a while", hence why I dropped them like a hot rock after too many failures. No idea whether they are the same type fans, but it may be a problem for you folks too....certainly worth keeping an eye on.

Offline Denpat

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 08:26:57 PM »
It was the fan itself with the Davis station and not the solar. I am surprised I’m the only person that has had this problem. Thanks for your reply.

Denpat

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »
It was the fan itself with the Davis station and not the solar.
Oh, without question. IIRC, the commutator is the weak point.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
I've had no problems.

I haven't heard anyone complaining of such a problem on the Facebook forums.

Have you contacted support?

Offline Denpat

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 09:18:44 PM »
I emailed them about this problem today, but of course I won’t hear from them until at least tomorrow. I have been trying to figure this out myself, since nobody else has said anything about this issue.

I have check all connections and see no problem. The fan may cycle several times and then all of a sudden it will stop. After a fairly long time period it has restarted itself.

Denpat

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 09:41:36 PM »
Have you checked the connections and components under the south solar panel?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Denpat

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 09:57:56 PM »
Yes I have taken that apart and all I can say is I didn’t have any loose wires and I wouldn’t know a good solder joint if I saw one. I unplugged the connector and replugged it in hopes at it would create a better connection. There was one wire with connector in there that was taped to the wall and didn’t anywhere. My assumption that is by design.

I have one more concern that I haven’t proven yet, but it seems that this happens more when the sun is south or westerly. I don’t know this to be a true statement, but something I will check out tomorrow.

Denpat

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 10:10:45 PM »
The taped up wire was for the "trace" precipitation sensor that didn't make the feature list.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 08:27:31 AM »
Maybe you just got a bad solar panel? Seems possible and one of them is draining the power for the fan? Maybe check each one by covering them and only expose one at the time to test them?

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
When I first received my Atlas (one of the early units), I had a single solar panel that would not power the fan.  Simple rerouting of the wires from that solar panel fixed the problem and the unit has been working flawlessly for months.

Offline Denpat

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 09:19:33 AM »
I ran many tests on my sensor and the tests point to either a bad fan, bad solder connection, or a bad connector. The tests that I ran apparently was enough information for Acurite to decide to send me a completely new unit. Even though I had this problem with my unit I still believe that they are the best-in-class. I certainly wouldn't let my experience stop anyone from buying the Atlas  weather station. It is a good station and I know we are going to be happy with it.

Denpat