Author Topic: WS-2812-UHT Wind Sensor Not Working  (Read 5390 times)

Offline clifft496

WS-2812-UHT Wind Sensor Not Working
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »
My wind sensor went out after 3 years.  I read about the possibility of replacing the batteries.  I ordered and placed alkaline rechargeable batteries into the assembly.  I measured the voltage which was at 3V, and I assume the correct value.  Is there something I am overlooking if the wind sensor does not work?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-2812-UHT Wind Sensor Not Working
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:00:57 PM »
Yes, 3V is correct and it will be slightly more when they are topped out but 3V is enough to allow it to operate. Did you press the reset button on the bottom after you had the new batteries in place?  After a couple minutes then remove and replace the thermo/hygro batteries so it can 're-learn' the anny again?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:07:54 PM by DanS »

Offline clifft496

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
Does the reset button have the small metal circle in it with the rubber seal?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:51:32 AM »
The reset hole is on the bottom of the anemometer. You can use a straightened paper clip if you don't have the plastic tool that came with it. There is a rubber seal but it's inside the case against the circuit board.

Offline clifft496

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »
OK.  I still have a small metal circle that is loose.  Where does that go?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
By little circle do you mean a little solid bronze looking disc? Shaped like a tiny hockey puck? If yes then that would be the bushing the wind vane shaft sits on, inside the case down at the bottom. 
 I'm now thinking what you may have been referring to earlier when you mentioned 'rubber seal'. This 'seal' has a carbon disc inside that is supposed to align with the reset trace/pad on the circuit board. The rubber seal side faces away from the board toward the case hole where you reset from the outside. Make sense?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:47:43 PM by DanS »

Offline clifft496

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 08:57:28 PM »
Yes, that makes sense.  I'll give it a try. 

Offline clifft496

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
I've tried everything you have mentioned, including restarting the Thermohygro.  Any other suggestions to get the sensor restarted?  I also replaced the batteries, and was able to determine they were recharging.  Seems like the transmitter might not be working anymore.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »
Unfortunately, wind sensor failures are common with this equipment. You are lucky that it lasted 3 years!  :-)
The failure may not actually be at the wind sensor end, BTW. I bought a new wind sensor from Lacrosse when mine died, but couldn't get the new one to connect with the ThermoHydro unit, despite slavishly following the bizarrely complex sequence of actions which is required to resync them.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:13:17 PM »
Since you had to replace the rechargeable Alkaline batteries there may have some deterioration in the circuitry causing the battery failure. I had mine stop recharging from sunlight due to corrosion build up where the solar panel wires connect. This ate the solder joint enough to open the circuit. If you have a multimeter handy, follow the battery terminals on the circuit board to verify the voltage is actually there on the board. Inspect and clean any corrosion / oxidation on the battery terminals and board underside.
When you're done don't forget to verify that the wind vane bushing/puck as well as the reset rubber button are in place.
Anytime the anemometer's batteries are removed and replaced then the reset button needs to be pushed again and after a couple minutes, the thermo/hygro batteries removed/replaced (in that order).
Good luck, hope you get it!

Offline clifft496

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:08:02 PM »
Success!!  I was able to sequence the start up of the thermohygro and the wind gauge and the unit started working.  So everything is running.  Thanks very much for your help.  The instructions were perfect.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 04:31:29 AM »
Good to hear you got it going!  I've also noticed with these systems that the farther you separate the anny and the thermo/hygro sensors the more they can become sensitive with how they are positioned relative to each other. That is they may communicate with each other fine mounted in one position and by just rotating the thermo/hygro sensor a few degrees, in its horizontal plane, can drop the link between the two sensors. It seems the antenna pattern of the thermo/hygro sensor has peaks and dips, like a  star pattern instead of circular.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:57:32 AM by DanS »

Offline clifft496

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »
That makes a lot of sense.  I did, more by accident, rotate the wind gauge after resetting the batteries of the thermohygro sensor.  I also was on top of the sensor, which, I am sure helped.  Thanks again for your help.