Author Topic: Altas Amazon Price History  (Read 1005 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Altas Amazon Price History
« on: October 16, 2018, 08:14:46 AM »
Anyone care to speculate why the price for the Atlas on Amazon can't just stay and be the price? Why does the price have to change seemingly every day or two? Is that so that if you are on the fence you say to yourself, "Better buy it today because it will probably jump in price tomorrow?" Lots of things on Amazon play this game with price. But some things are just steady at whatever the price is forever. What compels Acurite to fluctuate the price...and by so little too?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Wrog

Re: Altas Amazon Price History
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:08:17 AM »
That happens with pretty much anything on Amazon.  Even within a day I've seen prices move multiple times for an item.

Offline Hiline

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
Hard to say how and why with Amazon. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason with them. It could have to do with all the Amazon price tracking apps. People set alerts, then when it changes .05 it sends an alert. So they set it to 2.00 and still get alerts. Changing prices do mess with trackers, but not sure if that has anything real bearing on why they do it.
Atlas and Pro+ 5-in-1

"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 02:23:03 PM »
In today's age of "computer-control" it's not uncommon for prices to be automatically tweeked to maximize profits without reducing sales quantities...all in realtime...as AMAZON is known to do.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:17:19 PM »
The airlines have been doing "yield management" since airline deregulation back in Jimmy Carter's administration. Everybody else has refined it since.
It goes back way beyond the airlines too, have no doubt that Marco Polo got clipped by it on his big shopping trip. Even the ancient Greeks, Romans, Persians, etc., as major traders, did it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_management

(bolding my edit, there is little new under the sun...)
Yield management is a variable pricing strategy, based on understanding, anticipating and influencing consumer behavior in order to maximize revenue or profits from a fixed, time-limited resource (such as airline seats or hotel room reservations or advertising inventory).[1] As a specific, inventory-focused branch of revenue management, yield management involves strategic control of inventory to sell the right product to the right customer at the right time for the right price[2]. This process can result in price discrimination, in which customers consuming identical goods or services are charged different prices. Yield management is a large revenue generator for several major industries...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:20:18 PM by Jstx »

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:29:45 PM »
not  sure if anyone else does this, but often, I put something I want to buy from Amazon in my cart and leave it there, sometimes for days..more often than not, the price drops at least once if not more often and then I buy it..

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 09:36:16 PM »
Then there is camelcamelcamel.com which will track prices of specific items on Amazon and alert you if the price falls below a set price point.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 03:21:13 AM »
Many third-party sellers sell on Amazon, too.  So there's several pricing games going on at any given time.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything