Author Topic: Anemometer vane "stuck" on North  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Islandguy

Anemometer vane "stuck" on North
« on: December 26, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
I noticed my wind direction on my VP2 has been "stuck" showing North for the past 25+ hours. The wind has been blowing out of the SSE with some high gusts and I can see the vane pointing in that direction but...my console shows dead North?
Any thoughts on what to check?
Regards,
Jim

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
Re: Anemometer vane "stuck" on North
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 07:18:39 PM »

Are the other instruments showing readings?
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 07:23:59 PM »
Yes, everything else looks normal. I pulled out my trusty ISS manual and low and behold there are a few steps recommended for my issue. Looks like it could be a short in the cable from the vane to the ISS or possibly there is corrosion in the "Wind" jack on the SIM.
Thanks,
Jim

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »

I wondered about that. That's why I enquired whether it was just the anemometer or all instruments. Best of luck!
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
Mine is stuck on SSW, buy I think it is because it froze after some 35 degree snow the other day. I will find out Sunday when it gets above freeing for an hour or so. May have to get the old skirt gun out and some RV antifreeze.
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 11:50:52 PM »
... May have to get the old skirt gun out and some RV antifreeze.

Just tie the wife's blow dryer to a long pole with an extension cord.  I'm sure she won't mind.    :mrgreen:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 12:41:18 AM »

Just tie the wife's blow dryer to a long pole with an extension cord.  I'm sure she won't mind.    :mrgreen:

And don't stand in a puddle while doing it. :shock: #-o :idea:
Mae govannen!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 12:50:04 AM »

Aw now where's your sense of adventure?  Besides that's what GFI outlets are made for.  Who need the silly test button when you can test it the real man's way?   I know, time I should go to bed now.  :lol:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 01:20:44 AM »
I don't think I will have to worry about any puddles at the moment. Just hit -13.  :-(
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 09:04:33 AM »

Aw now where's your sense of adventure?  Besides that's what GFI outlets are made for.  Who need the silly test button when you can test it the real man's way?   I know, time I should go to bed now.  :lol:

GFI outlets? We don't need no stinkin' GFI outlets!!!
Mae govannen!

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »
Most of our snow has melted and I was able to take a look at my ISS...everything "looks" good. Reseated the "wind" cable still same result...dead North reading.
Jim

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
Most of our snow has melted and I was able to take a look at my ISS...everything "looks" good. Reseated the "wind" cable still same result...dead North reading.
Jim

I'm trying to remember, I think the direction vane uses a variable resistor and only the wind speed uses a reed switch.  If so that would point toward an open wire somewhere.  Might give Davis a call and get their thoughts on it.  It could still though be an issue in the ISS instead of the anemometer itself.  Are you under warranty yet?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:13:33 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 09:18:22 PM »
I noticed my wind direction on my VP2 has been "stuck" showing North for the past 25+ hours. The wind has been blowing out of the SSE with some high gusts and I can see the vane pointing in that direction but...my console shows dead North?
Any thoughts on what to check?
Regards,
Jim

Jim,
Here is what the VP ISS Installation Manual says about the wind vane always reading North...

“The wind direction is stuck on north, or displays dashes.”
It is likely that there is a short somewhere between the wind vane and the display.
Check the cables for visible nicks and cuts. Look for corrosion in the “WIND” jack
on the SIM and on splices in the cable (if any). If possible, remove any extensions
and try it with the anemometer cable only. If none of these steps get the wind
direction working, contact Technical Support and ask for a wind test cable.

Based on the mention above of a "shorted" wire problem, I would suggest unplugging the line from the anemometer/wind vane and then seeing what the console display shows for wind direction. If it moves off of the north indication then it may indicate a shorted line. Look closely at both the plug and the connector for any corrosion which could cause problems. Also check the wiring coming from the anemometer/wind vane for any pinching of the wire that could be causing the problem.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 12:59:29 PM »
Unit is out of warranty  :sad:

Going to head back up on the roof in a bit with a can of compressed air...looked like late yesterday afternoon it read NNE for a while...maybe "drying" out?

Thanks,
Jim

Offline LIWeather

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 01:24:18 PM »
Make sure that compressed air doesnt get too low while you are still blowing your ISS out. That air can get super cold and freeze things up in an instant.

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »
2nd trip on the roof and everything looks good. Inside the cover is nice and dry no corrosion. I rotated the vane to several different directions and the console still showed N. Looking at my history there have been several time where the direction did read NNE though I could not replicate that...so will give Davis a call tomorrow.
Regards,
Jim

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »
I have movement! Now if it will just dry out while the temps are above freezing so it does not freeze in position again. Light snow/rain mix atm.
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 02:18:32 PM »
Are you sure the vane is tight on the spindle?

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
Are you sure the vane is tight on the spindle?

Bob

I know mine is tight. This is the first time it has stuck and it was due to temps @ 31 degrees and heavy snow and then a cold front came through and dropped the temps by 20 degrees in a couple of hours. Today is the first day since the temps have got close to freezing since it stuck and you can see it starting to move a little at a time. I am getting more movement as the temps keep warming.

EDIT: Went out and checked things out. Seems the snow has pulled on one of my guy wires and tilted the mast a bit to the north which would explain why it is point south and why the water would be dripping off on the low side and freezing. Unstuck for now and tightened the guy wires a bit. Have to wait and see what happens with the snow whether or not it slides off and releases the pressure on the guy wire. Not real fun trying to walk on a metal roof with 18" of snow on it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:02:28 PM by prvrt »
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline Islandguy

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »
Checked my station this morning and looks like the vane started to work again around midnight...went back up on the roof and moved the vane to several different directions and the console reported the correct information...hmmm....nothing like an intermittent problem!

Jim

anything