Author Topic: Wind direction question  (Read 1538 times)

Offline superduty

Wind direction question
« on: December 14, 2008, 10:25:51 PM »
My console reads southeast and when I look at the anemometer the pointed side is pointed southeast and the "sail" portion is pointed northwest.  Is this correct?

So, if my console reads southeast, does that mean the wind is coming from the southeast?

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
Re: Wind direction question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 10:28:31 PM »
That is correct.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
Re: Wind direction question
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 11:28:51 PM »
My console reads southeast and when I look at the anemometer the pointed side is pointed southeast and the "sail" portion is pointed northwest.  Is this correct?

So, if my console reads southeast, does that mean the wind is coming from the southeast?

Yep, wind is always indicated by its source, so wind instruments show where the wind is coming from. So the vane, when its arrow head points SE, means the wind is coming from the SE. Likewise, the wind rose on your station's console indicates the direction of the wind's source.

Probably the best way to think of it is this: many, many years ago people realized that their weather was often affected by where the wind is coming from (not by where it is going). Thus, wind vanes should indicate the direction of the wind's source. A southerly wind, for example, means the wind is coming from the south.

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3