Author Topic: Meteobridge and WeatherLinkIP  (Read 3007 times)

Online Herbaldew

Meteobridge and WeatherLinkIP
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
I have a VP2 #6153, a USB data logger and a Meteobridge.  I am contemplating getting a WeatherLinkIP and have some questions about using it with the Meteobridge.  I think I have found at least one of the answers but want to verify before purchasing the WLIP.  I want to do this just because I like the WeatherLink App better than others I have seen to access my data when away from home.

a.  Can the WLIP be plugged directly into the MB's ethernet port which I access wirelessly from my PC?

b.  If so, can I still access the WLIP via the MB when using the WeatherLink program on my computer?

c.  Is it be better to let the WLIP upload to WU and CWOP or still have the MB do this?

Thanks

VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Meteobridge and WeatherLinkIP
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »
Answers:
a) Yes
b) Yes
c) MB
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online Herbaldew

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 10:27:14 AM »
Received and installed the WLIP and all is working.

However, when I start the WL program the uploads to WU cease until I close WL.  I didn't check to see if CWOP uploads cease as well.

Is this normal behavior?  If it is, can I just add my WU account info to WL and let it do the uploading instead of the MeteoBridge while the WL program is running?

Thanks again.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
Are you using the Port 22222 pass thru?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online Herbaldew

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »
Not sure what you mean - here is my WL config:

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:33:02 PM by Herbaldew »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 03:13:33 PM »
From the fancy manual (wiki actually, but RTFW just doesn't have the same cachet.  :)  )

Davis Vantage Pro and Vue
These stations can be equipped with an IP-based Logger called WLIP. If you have one of these, please select WLIP operation (and how often Meteobridge should pause to allow upload to Davis Weatherlink services in parallel to Meteobridge operation) and enter IP and port (separated by a colon) in the input field next to the selection box (example: "192.168.1.222:10001"). This will tell Meteobridge to connect this station not via USB but via your LAN/WLAN (in the example on IP 192.168.1.222 at port 10001). When you don't specify a port, the WLIP default port (22222) is used. When you have a serial data logger you can map that to USB by a FTDI or PL2303 based serial to USB converter. When Vantage is connected via USB to Meteobridge please make sure that baud rate of Vantage is set to 19200, otherwise no connection can be established. Since Version 2.5 Meteobridge allows parallel use of the Vantage by a PC program, which connects to the Meteobridge on port 22222 (like with a Davis IP logger).

Online Herbaldew

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 03:32:22 PM »
Thanks, but I've read that several times.

However, I did get it working so I guess I missed this tidbit .... I had been using the WLIP's IP in the WL com port config.  I remembered that when I was initially setting it, I errouneously entered the MB's IP instead of the WLIP's IP and WL still connected to the WLIP.

I just put the MB's IP in the WL com port config and all is working well now.

Thanks again for your input.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 05:54:47 PM »
 8-)

Online Herbaldew

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 06:19:03 PM »
I spoke too soon.

With this configuration weatherlink.com doesn't get updated when the Weatherlink program is running :-(

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 09:06:43 PM »
That makes no sense.  The pass thru on Port 22222 works fine; you must have a config error.  What ver of MB are you running?

Online Herbaldew

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »
Meteobridge 3.1 (Oct 20 2016, build 10630), FW 1.3

Offline fredericowessel

• Tempo em Teutônia
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 11:24:07 AM »
And what about internet/power failure? Can I download via Weatherlink the data when power/internet return?
----
Frederico Wessel
My weather site: www.tempoemteutonia.com.br
Brazilian PWSs: www.estacoesdobrasil.com.br

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »
And what about internet/power failure? Can I download via Weatherlink the data when power/internet return?

As long as you have backup power on your WLIP logger then when power/internet returns the data gap will be uploaded from which it is available to download or whatever. The one proviso is the length of time power/internet is out compared to the archive interval. For example if your archive is 1 minute and power is lost for several days then you will loose data as the WMIP (if on backup power) will fill and roll off the oldest data records

Offline fredericowessel

• Tempo em Teutônia
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »
Ok, so would be better have a bigger archive interval, like 15 minutes, to privent loose of data?
----
Frederico Wessel

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 05:37:25 PM »
1 minute gives 42 hours, 5 minutes 8 days, 10 minutes 17 days, 15 minutes 26 days .... 120 minute 213 days.

How long would you expect your power/internet to be off? 10 minutes will give you 17 days but then with a WLIP you will require a reasonable backup system to run for 17 days.

Offline fredericowessel

• Tempo em Teutônia
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 07:03:35 AM »
I'm not sure, but I believe at most some days, not more then a week. I will install in a remote area and sometimes can happen mainly internet failure.
Thanks for the infos.
I believe Meteobridge + WLIP it's a great setup. Nowadays I have Meteohub in my 6 weather stations, but will switch all for WLIP + Meteobridge.
----
Frederico Wessel

anything