Author Topic: Replacing VP2 Wind Speed Cartridge - How?  (Read 2871 times)

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
Replacing VP2 Wind Speed Cartridge - How?
« on: December 31, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
I'm preparing to replace my VP2 wind speed cartridge, but I can't find any instructions on doing so. I like to be prepared before I go up on top of the two-story tile roof. It's quite a bit of effort to have to crawl back down to retrieve a tool or something. Does anyone have any experience with replacing it that can offer a short explanation of the process and any potential gotchas?

Thanks.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Replacing VP2 Wind Speed Cartridge - How?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 02:31:11 PM »
It's in this thread somewhere. I have to do the same this week.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28845.0
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:04:48 PM »
Thanks. I read that whole thread, but don't see any specific info about how to replace the cartridge.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:37:58 PM »
Sorry about that. If you have the manual laying around somewhere the assembly instructions are in there.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »
Does the cartridge come with a manual? The  6163 ISS manual doesn't have any instructions about installing a speed module in the anemometer.

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 08:31:37 PM »
What do you mean by a wind speed cartridge?

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 08:37:12 PM »

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 08:52:43 PM »
So they don't supply and details of how to install? Maybe hit up Scaled Instruments for details?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 09:50:52 PM »
you need to first remove the cups
via an allen key (its very small one)
then unscrew the screw at the bottom of the cartridge
slide out the old
slide in the new
then re attach the cups

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 09:54:36 PM »
Thanks waiukuweather. Although I can't say I looked for it, I did take down the anemometer a few months ago to clean it up so it would spin freely again. I removed the cups at that time and closely inspected the bearing and housing and don't recall another screw in there. Is that screw on the outside somewhere?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 03:48:56 AM »
It depends of course on how old the anemometer is. If it's pre-2013 (approx) then there won't be a separate wind cartridge. You can also tell visually. See our Davis KB at:

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/anemometer-hardware

(section on anemometer versions)

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »
Thanks. I guess I'm one of the lucky people who bought in 2013 and receive the brass-tipped vane but old-style body.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »
I'll also add this graphic from Scaled Instruments.
Notice the difference in the housing shape.

This replacement wind speed cartridge for Vantage Pro2 stations which includes a bearings set, and is compatible with anemometers that an hour glass shaped body:
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-7345-999-pro2-anemometer-wind-speed-cartridge/compatibility/#

Offline kbaybob

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »
First of all, don't get the cartridge from Davis.  They charge $20 plus $40 shipping to Hawaii!!!  I got one from Scaled Instruments www.scaledinstruments.com for $16.50 plus $3.75 mailing, so in total I paid only 25¢ more than Davis's normal price.

It is necessary to remove the cups, as they will have to go on the new cartridge.  There is a set screw on the cups' body just below the overhang of the cartridge housing that requires a 0.05" allen wrench.  Be careful; it's easy to lose that allen wrench!

There is a screw on the cartridge housing part way back on the mounting arm that must be completely removed.  It screws into the upper half of the anemometer/weather vane housing and holds the two halves together.  Use a #2 phillips screwdriver to remove the screw.  Once the screw (which unfortunately is not stainless steel) is removed and safely stowed, you can pull the anemometer wind speed cartridge down from the upper half.  It does not slide out.  It comes straight down.

Then simply push the new anemometer wind speed cartridge into place where the original was and insert and tighten the screw.

Push the cups back onto the shaft all the way and tighten the setscrew with the 0.05" allen wrench that you carefully did not lose, and you are all done except for safely climbing back down.