Author Topic: Vantage Pro 2 - won't work on batteries  (Read 1791 times)

Offline WxGirl

Vantage Pro 2 - won't work on batteries
« on: August 27, 2011, 04:56:13 PM »
Our VP2 decided to sound the alarm and stop working about a year ago.  We replaced the batteries, to no avail.  Davis will happily replace it for $80 plus shipping; however, we're both looking for jobs and this is not a priority. Well, it is, but it isn't.   ;)

My husband finally found the transformer and now it works, but only with power.  It absolutely will not continue working on batteries; it eventually sounds the alarm and shuts down.  It's fine on power until we have a hurricane, then it's useless.  Any idea what might be going on?  I'd appreciate any input.  Really appreciate it.   :-)

Judi in FL

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
Re: Vantage Pro 2 - won't work on batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 05:01:01 PM »
Did the batteries ever corrode?
There may be corrosion on the battery contact in the console which would require removing the back cover to clean.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 06:03:01 PM »
Is this the console, ISS or Both?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:24:59 PM by Flag »

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »
The batteries that slot into the back cover aren't hard wired to the internal circuit board.  Instead there are springy clips on the back cover that press against a couple of contact points on the circuit board.  Take off the back cover and look for any indication that these clips wouldn't be properly making contact.  Clean the contact points on both sides with rubbing alcohol.  Gently pry the clips out just a bit if necessary.  This link shows you what you'll be getting in to: http://madscientistlabs.blogspot.com/2010/12/davis-weather-station-hacking.html

Oh yeah, and make sure the batteries aren't dead, and that they are inserted the right way   :-)

Offline WxGirl

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 09:10:21 PM »
It's the console.  The batteries are still good.  No corrosion.  In fact, we replaced them, but it only comes on for a short time, then sounds the alarm, then shuts down. It's whacked.  Works perfectly when plugged into the transformer. 

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 06:30:53 AM »
Hi

I know that was 7 years ago, but I know the answer.
I had same issue, because we check damaged WeatherLinkIP by lightning. After checking console stop working on batteries.
Data loggers are not protected against short circuit. If high current will flow through the switch, the switch is damaged.
Switch activates the battery power supply when there is no external power supply.

I post photos where to find it. You have to replace it. Unfortunately it's really small.
Good news, it's cheap.

Switch is a FDV304P P-FET 25V 0.45A 0.35W SOT23 FAIRCHILD transistor.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 06:38:31 PM »
I have repaired another dead console. May I place some info here, or should I start another post?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »
Here works for me.
Randy

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 05:12:45 AM »
Recently I had VP2 mainboard which didn't want to turn on. Completely dead, but once enabled by itself during car transportation. So dead, but can work sometimes.

Davis VP2 mainboard is built on ATMEGA128L microcontroller, but that have you already known.
Microcontroller has built-in RAM + ROM(program memory). To operate it's, you just need nothing more but connect power supply and Crystal Oscillators (XTAL).

First thing to do, is checking power supply if microcontroller has VCC - 3.0 volts, and GND is proper connected. You can use any multimeter to check this parameter.

Second is to check RESET pin, it should be also 3.0 volt. That because if it's 0 volt then microcontroller won't startup. Normal procedure is to connect RESET with GND for short time to proper reset microcontroller, it will set program on the beginning and proper execute it. You can do this manually, but all microcontrollers has special components to reset it properly on startup.
When you examine dead mainboard, you should check RESET. You are looking for anomaly.

If you have power OK, and reset is high (3.0 v). Microcontroller should works, but there is 3rd thing XTAL oscillator. It's a very rare that XTAL can be damaged, but mine was.
That was last thing to check. Fortunately(or not) I have deep fried VP2 mainboard damaged by lightning, and WeatherLink IP to complete set. I have borowed XTAL from this damaged mainboard and place to patient one. A miracle happened. Dead mainboard is not dead anymore.

I was lucky with this one. Don't buy new mainboard before you don't check power supply, reset pin, and maybe XTAL.
XTAL has also 2x capactiros 22pF. If one of those are damaged, XTAL won't work, so microcontroller won't work as well.