Author Topic: Atlas Display Barometric Learning Mode Question  (Read 898 times)

Offline AlanD96

Atlas Display Barometric Learning Mode Question
« on: May 23, 2019, 04:23:08 PM »
Two Questions

1) Each time power is removed to my Atlas Display, even for a second or two, the pressure reading returns to good ol' 29.92.  So this means that every time that happens we need to go through a two week learning period?   If so it seems like a battery backup would have been a very good idea.

2)  I understand on Acurite Displays for older weather stations there was a "Learning Mode" symbol that would disappear when the display would read accurately.    I haven't been able to find one on the Atlas display.   Am I just missing it? 

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas Display Barometric Learning Mode Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
If you don't care for the learning period, just put the barometer on "manual' and set the barometer to what the local readings show.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 04:58:08 PM »
Call Acurite.  It should retain the readings for a while.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 05:04:16 PM »
Doctor --
On the Atlas display, I can calibrate the reading but I don't think there's a general "manual" setting for the pressure reading.

And nincehelser,
I purchased three Atlas displays and none of them hold the pressure reading.   I attempted to chat with someone today, but no one was home.   I sent an email to them concerning this, I'll report back what they say.

I appreciate your prompt replies, guys!

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »
AlanD96:

You are absolutely correct.  Even a momentary loss of power to the Atlas display will result in restarting of the Learning Mode.  The other data (like rainfall) is retained for a while, but Learning Mode restarts immediately.  I have a whole-house, automatic generator and I can never be without power for more than 9 seconds, but that wasn't good enough to stop the reset.  I became so frustrated with this that I eventually added an uninterrupted power supply.  The lack of a battery backup for the Atlas display is a big miss on the part of AcuRite; the Access has a battery backup.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 07:36:11 PM »
To Ninceheiser and everyone

I received the following reply to my question from Acurite.   I shall cut and paste:

==========================================

Chris (AcuRite)
May 23, 4:11 PM CDT
Hello

Regarding your Barometric Pressure every time you lose power to the Atlas HD Display it will reset the learning mode process. This means it will take 2 - 4 weeks to calibrate the pressure again. The only thing you can do to avoid this is to use an Emergency Power supply that your local computer store will most likely offer to make sure you don't lose power to the display if you have a power outage.
Please Let Me Know If You Have Any Other Questions
Chris
AcuRite Customer Support

=========================================================

As I said, you'd think either a battery backup or maybe just a capacitor in the circuit to keep the thing charged for a minimum length of time would have been a good idea. 

Oh, I'm still wondering about that "learning icon" that is supposed to tell the user when the display's calculation is complete.   I can't find it in the Atlas display.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 07:37:29 PM »
Mine does not loose the readings unless powered down for a while... Some displays must be different?

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 08:08:22 PM »
DoctorKnow =

Is your display for the newer Atlas PWS, or is it for an older Acurite station??  You described a couple of features that I can't find in my Atlas display.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 08:25:32 PM »
I have the Atlas display. I calibrated my barometer since it was too low by +.13 - The last time I lost power for a few hours, it did not lose that value. I haven't touched it in months.

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 08:40:15 PM »
I have the Atlas display. I calibrated my barometer since it was too low by +.13 - The last time I lost power for a few hours, it did not lose that value. I haven't touched it in months.
You may not have lost the calibration adjustment, but did the display restart the Learning Mode?  Upon restoration of power, did it read 30.05 (29.92 + .13)?