Author Topic: eBay purchase?  (Read 5450 times)

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
eBay purchase?
« on: March 23, 2008, 10:16:56 AM »
I purchased a Davis Van Pro 2 wireless on eBay. Now I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls. It came from an eBay store with a very good feed back rating. Did I make a mistake? Hope not, it's going up today to replace my cheap La Crosse.

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
Re: eBay purchase?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 12:49:08 PM »
It all depends on the seller you bought if from and also the product its self. If the product does not have problems right away, you should be fine. I just ordered mine also and I looked at Ebay since I do buy quite a few things from there, in fact, I just bought a Altronix ALTV2416600UL3 24AC power supply for a camera I am going to buy. It was mislabeled as a ALTV2416UL which there is about a $100 difference between the 2 models. Their loss, my gain. When I compared prices on Ebay and other places, I could not find prices any cheaper than Ambient Weather for the Davis products other than Provanatge which I did not want to deal with. You should be fine with Ebay. I would say that 99% of the purchases on Ebay have no problems, but that 1% is what can make it a night mare. Since you are buying a reputable/quality product, you should be in the 99%.
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 09:43:13 AM »
prvrt, thanks for the feed back. I buy off ebay often and have never had a bad experience, but the weather station caused me to have some doubts after I had already bought it. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I still don't have it up, should finish today.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:43:34 PM »
May we ask what it ended up costing you, minus the shipping. And which Davis station did you buy?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:28:23 PM »
prvrt, thanks for the feed back. I buy off ebay often and have never had a bad experience, but the weather station caused me to have some doubts after I had already bought it. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I still don't have it up, should finish today.

Mine came from an EBay store and have yet to have a problem - other than the outside temp/humidity sensor which was a Davis "flaw" that they replaced for free.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
The unit is a Davis 6152 Vantage Pro 2 wireless, with no UV or Solar. I won the bid at $380 with free shipping. I also won a Weather Link 6510USB for $112.50 and $7 shipping which I'll camp on for a couple weeks until I feel I'm ready for that next step.
I originally started with a cheaper La Crosse model about 3 months ago and was having so much fun decided it was time to up grade. The ISS is running but not in it's perm mounting position, and the anemometer is tied to a fence post. Is 100 % reception normal? I'll get them both mounted permanently today. The anemometer will be at 43 feet and the ISS at 10 feet. Are pics encouraged here?

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »
Thats a great price and you can't beat the free shipping. And thats a great price on the datalogger. Hope you don't have the problems that others have experienced with the USB datalogger.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:07:25 AM »
I ordered the Weather Link 6510SER yesterday because of the posts I've read on the USB version. I'll sell the USB version on ebay or some place. Never been opened.

Offline prvrt

• Contributor
  • WL7COQ
    • My Idaho Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 07:33:31 AM »
Just for your info, I just purchased the 6510SER for $118.95 from Ambient Weather. Mine system should be here today from them.  \:D/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:35:22 AM by prvrt »
Davis Instruments 6163-Wireless VantagePro2 Plus w/wireless Anemometer, Software = Weather Display
Blackfoot, Idaho

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 08:23:07 AM »
It's a little late now. But you may have been able to get Davis to exchange the USB for the Serial. I know they have for other people. But I don't know if the original purchase was made from them. All in all they would have nothing to loose. Any way I hope you enjoy your new weather station.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »
prvrt...I ordered from Scientific for the same price.

Anthony.....I thought about the exchange, but since I didn't buy it from them I didn't try.

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 02:46:04 PM »

It's a little late now. But you may have been able to get Davis to exchange the USB for the Serial. I know they have for other people. But I don't know if the original purchase was made from them. All in all they would have nothing to loose. Any way I hope you enjoy your new weather station.

Davis will exchange it anyway. They're great ... they don't care whether you purchased it from them or from someone else. All you'd have to pay for is shipping to send the usb logger to Davis. Also, play it safe and insure the one you return. Contact Davis and they'll give you the details.

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
I bought mine on Ebay as well and the only thing I ever had to replace on it were the batteries.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 04:31:54 AM »
I would strongly advise against buying anything on eBay right now.  New management is enacting policies that are driving sellers away in droves.  Listings are being cancelled for violation of as yet unannounced policy changes and sellers are being suspended or restricted even though they haven't done anything wrong.

Sellers with feedback in the 10's of thousands are calling it quits because Corporate has made it such an unfriendly selling environment.  A massive seller boycott caused listing numbers to fall more than 10% a few weeks ago.  It would have been a much bigger drop, but eBay is suspected of creating millions of 'fake' listings to pad the numbers.  With more anti-seller policies set to take effect in May, another boycott is being planned for May 1 even though eBay is actively trying to quash any talk about it.  They've mobilized the propaganda machine to counter negative articles on several sites and blogs including cNet, The Motley Fool, and several others.

Listings are down and the stock has recently set a new 52 week low.  In short the site is a mess and there is no guarantee your chosen seller will remain active after you make a purchase.

eBay as a whole should be avoided right now.  It may not even exist in it's present form much longer.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 04:38:48 AM by WeatherHost »

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 09:10:17 PM »
I would strongly advise against buying anything on eBay right now.  New management is enacting policies that are driving sellers away in droves.  Listings are being cancelled for violation of as yet unannounced policy changes and sellers are being suspended or restricted even though they haven't done anything wrong.

Sellers with feedback in the 10's of thousands are calling it quits because Corporate has made it such an unfriendly selling environment.  A massive seller boycott caused listing numbers to fall more than 10% a few weeks ago.  It would have been a much bigger drop, but eBay is suspected of creating millions of 'fake' listings to pad the numbers.  With more anti-seller policies set to take effect in May, another boycott is being planned for May 1 even though eBay is actively trying to quash any talk about it.  They've mobilized the propaganda machine to counter negative articles on several sites and blogs including cNet, The Motley Fool, and several others.

Listings are down and the stock has recently set a new 52 week low.  In short the site is a mess and there is no guarantee your chosen seller will remain active after you make a purchase.

eBay as a whole should be avoided right now.  It may not even exist in it's present form much longer.

I think several of your 'claims' are exaggerated at best...many stocks are at a 52 week low and judging by all the items on E-bay, they really don't need to be 'avoided'......there are a few disgruntled people, but that is to be expected with a business THAT size.  Oh, and no...I'm not an E-bay seller...I've purchased a few things on there...but never been a seller...so, I'm not jaded E-bay fan....just don't like seeing half truths spun out willy-nilly....

99% of the people on there selling are legit...there are a few to be avoided...
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline Sawwth

• Well the Pole's up!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 07:41:41 PM »

Davis will exchange it anyway. They're great ... they don't care whether you purchased it from them or from someone else. All you'd have to pay for is shipping to send the usb logger to Davis. Also, play it safe and insure the one you return. Contact Davis and they'll give you the details.

Kevin...

Hi Kevin........I contacted Davis and they said go back to the company I purchased from. I'll contact them tomorrow. No help from Davis.

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »

Hi Kevin........I contacted Davis and they said go back to the company I purchased from. I'll contact them tomorrow. No help from Davis.

Really?!?!?! I have never heard of their giving that response. The only time I've heard that response from them is for purchases outside the States.

Sorry. :???: :-k :---)

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3