Author Topic: VP2/WL/WU Wind Gust data transfer problem  (Read 4068 times)

Offline pwantzel

VP2/WL/WU Wind Gust data transfer problem
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »
I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station.  I have it connected to my PC running Weatherlink 5.8.0 and version 1.15 of the Weather Underground expansion module.  When I use the download archived data function, it doesn’t (seem to) load the Wind Gust information.  At least, the Wind Gust info does not display on the Weather Underground web site with my other data.  The realtime download function does include wind gusts.  The parameter in Weatherlink is called “high wind speed” but that is essentially the same as wind gusts, right?

The same thing happens with Weatherlink version 5.7.

Any ideas why this is happening, or how to get it to work?  Is there someplace in Weatherlink to specify what is uploaded?  Am I doing something wrong someplace else (I just selected some dates for which I had archived data in Weatherlink, and clicked “Upload observations”.)

Offline roakey

• Rank amateur
  • Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
Re: VP2/WL/WU Wind Gust data transfer problem
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »
It's been awhile since I used WL, but if memory serves you have to be running the rapid fire updates for the wind gusts to be reported/saved/shown.  If you just upload history, you only get the "sampled" wind speed.

Roak
roakeyatpikespeakweatherdotcom

Davis Wireless VP2/USB, VWS 14.00p45/WL 5.8.0, XP Pro/SP3 on a mini-ITX nettop

Union & Woodmen, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Offline pwantzel

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »
I tried turning Rapid Fire Updates on, and then tried again to upload the archived data.  It made no difference.  It still does not show wind gust information on the WU website.

Offline roakey

• Rank amateur
  • Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:06:44 AM »
What I was trying to say was is that as far as I can tell, WU only records wind gusts that are reported to it via the real time mode (WU rapid fire) of WL.  In other words, uploading archived data never uploads the gusts, only the real time mode does, which means you have to have your machine up 24x7, connected to the internet, running WL and have WL’s real time mode enabled in order to have gusts reported to/recorded by WU.

At least that’s what I’ve observed with my 5.8.0 version of WL.

Roak
roakeyatpikespeakweatherdotcom

Davis Wireless VP2/USB, VWS 14.00p45/WL 5.8.0, XP Pro/SP3 on a mini-ITX nettop

Union & Woodmen, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Offline pwantzel

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »
I think what you're trying to say is that you've observed the same behavior that I have.

My weather station uploads wind gust info to WU in real-time mode.  It does this in what I call "standard real-time" mode (every 5 min, or 10 min, or whatever I set) and also in "rapid-reaction" mode (every few seconds). 

I only just started uploading to WU, because I only now have a computer I need to leave on 24/7 for another reason, so I figured I might as well upload to WU too.   But WL has two years of data saved, and it saves the wind gust info with the other data (it calls it "high wind speed" but that's pretty much the same thing).  It doesn't seem reasonable that it doesn't upload this piece of info with the other info.

Using WU's manual upload protocol, I can successfully upload this saved wind gust info.  So I know it can be done.  But it doesn't seem to allow me to update an existing record on WU (i.e., if there is already a record at the specified date and time, it won't update it).  Anyone know how to do this?  Also, I've only tried this one record at a time.  Does anyone have a script written (or could point me to one) that would upload multiple records?

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:01:28 PM »
I use the normal real time mode, with updates every five minutes.  I have had a problem with the gust data getting "stuck" on a random number (say, 8 MPH, or 13 MPH, when it should clearly be reproting a lower number, or even zero).  It does this for a day or so, then it seems to return to normal behavior later.  Annoying.

Dave G.

anything