Author Topic: SSL FTP  (Read 1216 times)

Offline N3FWE

SSL FTP
« on: November 23, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »
Does wifilogger  support secure ftp?.     I was attempting to upload to my web space.

Received this in debug mode.   "501 This account requires a secure connection to log in, please use SSL.  FTP Fail"

Steve
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:10:50 PM by N3FWE »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Re: SSL FTP
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 09:27:51 AM »
Does wifilogger  support secure ftp?.     I was attempting to upload to my web space.
Received this in debug mode.   "501 This account requires a secure connection to log in, please use SSL.  FTP Fail"
Steve

No. WiFiLogger is not using SSL now.
WiFiLogger1 will be not able to do that.
WiFiLogger 2 has enough resources to do that, but it will be very unfriendly for users. User will have to add certificate manually.

I have some work in a queue, but after that I could start to test SSL connection.

FTP is very slow. HTTP and PHP is the fastest way. It is also safe method.

What kind of data you would like to send via FTP?

Offline N3FWE

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 11:07:54 AM »
Steve

WiFiLogger 2 has enough resources to do that, but it will be very unfriendly for users. User will have to add certificate manually.

I have some work in a queue, but after that I could start to test SSL connection.

I was trying to use the custom export to send a realtime.txt file  to my ISP to play around with the Cumulus android app.  My ISP provider requires me to use ftps.   I  now have use my login/password with SSL/TLS settings option to send files to my web space.     

Steve

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 03:04:06 AM »
Steve

I was trying to use the custom export to send a realtime.txt file  to my ISP to play around with the Cumulus android app.  My ISP provider requires me to use ftps.   I  now have use my login/password with SSL/TLS settings option to send files to my web space.     
Steve

Sorry for big delay. I haven't seen your question.
FTP is not very good technology. It is very slow.
WiFiLogger1 is unable to use SSL.
WiFiLogger2 is capable, but not programed to use it.

Anyway even in WiFiLogger2 it will be quite uncomfortable. You will have to save SSL certificate to FTPS server and update it when it will expired.

Best option is to use PHP to catch file and save it, but Realtime.txt is not export this way. Maybe it is a time to fix it.

Offline N3FWE

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »

Sorry for big delay. I haven't seen your question.
FTP is not very good technology. It is very slow.
WiFiLogger1 is unable to use SSL.
WiFiLogger2 is capable, but not programed to use it.

Anyway even in WiFiLogger2 it will be quite uncomfortable. You will have to save SSL certificate to FTPS server and update it when it will expired.

Best option is to use PHP to catch file and save it, but Realtime.txt is not export this way. Maybe it is a time to fix it.

I don't use a SSL certificate.   Isn't that SFTP?   My ISP uses ftps with security Auth TLS or Auth SSL.   Or did I get them reverse with my posting?     Not sure what you mean realtime.txt is not exported this way?    I was trying to send it to my webspace so Cumulus android app could read it over the internet.   But it looks like it cannot  read the wifilogger format.   But it can read the Cumulus  realtime.txt  format.     I thought all realtime.txt were the same format.   

Steve

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 05:55:43 AM »
I don't use a SSL certificate.   Isn't that SFTP?   My ISP uses ftps with security Auth TLS or Auth SSL.   Or did I get them reverse with my posting?     Not sure what you mean realtime.txt is not exported this way?    I was trying to send it to my webspace so Cumulus android app could read it over the internet.   But it looks like it cannot  read the wifilogger format.   But it can read the Cumulus  realtime.txt  format.     I thought all realtime.txt were the same format.   
Steve

FTPS uses SSL certificate. Webbrowser know where to find proper one, but IoT devices not really. So it has to be added.
I will try to run FTPS and let you know. I will spend some time on it next week.

Offline N3FWE

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 07:53:54 AM »
Steve

FTPS uses SSL certificate. Webbrowser know where to find proper one, but IoT devices not really. So it has to be added.
I will try to run FTPS and let you know. I will spend some time on it next week.

Thanks.   No rush,  work on the important stuff first.     

Steve