Author Topic: Mounting Suggestions  (Read 6532 times)

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Mounting Suggestions
« on: October 05, 2011, 11:23:45 PM »
This isn't about where to mount it but more about suggestions on how to mount it. I have it in a good spot where it's been for over a yr. My problem is it isn't mounted very well and over time it's starting to lean. I have it on the side of my house mounted to the facing with straps and the eve of the roof. It's at the top of a 10' PVC pipe inside weather proof case much like everyone is does similar to the one Boltek sells but homemade. I always have guy wires but it isn't help much.

So what to see if you guys could share some mounting ideas with me?

-Thanks

Offline kered

• Laracha-Meteo Multilingual Website with PHP & AJAX
Re: Mounting Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
Maybe a photo of the existing setup would help to get better improvement suggestions
.     Updated every 15 minutes                                            Updated every 5 seconds

If its not broke don't try to fix it.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:47:53 PM »
This existing setup is no longer up. It fell from high winds. I knew it was just a matter of time. Any suggestions on mounting would be great to give me some ideas.

-Thanks

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »
I mounted mine to a rafter.

http://www.stadhaugh.com/DCP_0486.JPG

Not too obvious from the pic, to fasten it, I drilled a couple about the same size as the antenna holes through the rafter, stuck a cable tie through and then slid another on to what stuck out the other side of the rafter.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:23:13 AM »
I've tried it in my attic but get to many false returns. I seem to get the best results when it is outside up in the air.

I guess the real question is just how high does it need to be and just how far away from metal without it creating a problem? Would it being a couple of feet from the weather mount cause it to have problems? I have always had it about 30'ish up and away from any thing. If I could cut down on how high I have it, it would be easier to mount it and make it more stable.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 12:58:48 AM »
Ok I got my new weather mount so I redesigned my whole set up since it's been 5 yrs since it was put up. Made it to be a lot more stable and with the weather mount I can get better wind readings since it's a lot more sturdier then my homemade PVC mount. Anyways, I remounted my lightning detector, pretty much the same way I did when I first set it up but more stable as I made a way to brace it better. So with the way it is in the pictures is that high enough about the anemometer and far enough away that I shouldn't have problems from the mount? I know it's hard to see but I will get better pics in the daylight but you get the idea.

Distance from mast...

Height above mast...

-Thanks

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:34:11 AM »
So with the way it is in the pictures is that high enough about the anemometer and far enough away that I shouldn't have problems from the mount? I know it's hard to see but I will get better pics in the daylight but you get the idea.]

-Thanks

I think you'll be ok.  The pole doesn't make that much of a wind shadow.  And it looks like your cups are spinning in the second picture. 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »
Thanks, yea the cups were spinning and rather well for once so I am definitely happy about that. My concern is more about the Boltek being a reasonable distance from the mast that it doesn't cause any false readings or disturbs it in anyway.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »
Hey MesquiteWx, now that the mast is up and we have had a few storms come through our neck of the woods...what is your impression of the Boltek and related equipment and its proximity to the ISS?
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »
Seems to be ok, haven't really had a good chance to tweek it, but it is definitely a lot more stable then it was before and it doesn't sway in the winds. Seems I am able to get better range now though.

anything