Poll

What would you get for an extra VP2 receiver

Another Vp2 Console
Vue Console
Envoy

Author Topic: Davis VP2 Extra - Console, Vue Console, or Envoy  (Read 3678 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Davis VP2 Extra - Console, Vue Console, or Envoy
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:45:38 PM »
Question and options pretty much says it all.  I am getting hounded for xmas list ideas from parents, inlaws, wifey....
Already put a 6372 on the list.

I guess end of year is a good time to add an envoy as you could do it on Dec 31 and you would not kill you rain totals.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Davis VP2 Extra - Console, Vue Console, or Envoy
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »
Andrew,
I know you have previously said you don't look at your console, but if I was to do it again I would get an extra console for a little extra$ rather than the envoy.

Paul

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
  • I see sunshine. Let me out!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 10:39:20 PM »
Envoy!!!! In my life the Envoy is in the computer room in the back bedroom, which I rarely go into as I use my laptop in the front room. This allows me to mount the console next to the front door, which I look at every morning on the way out. The only thing that is not so perfect is the computer room is always 6 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

Rick

Rick/Morada, CA
Davis VP2+ wireless w/24Hr fan, Enovoy & Console
VWS 14.01p31,WeatherLink5.9.2,VP live,Virtual VP, StartWatch

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:29:52 AM »
Get one of those WiFi digital pic frames.  Broadcast wx to that instead of the monochrome console.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline fritz_monroe

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:00:56 AM »
Get one of those WiFi digital pic frames.  Broadcast wx to that instead of the monochrome console.

That's a great idea.  I'm going to have to keep that in mind.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 07:59:42 AM »
Thanks for the comments and the votes.   Paul you are correct, I never looked at my os console, maybe its the new car smell effect, but I do check out the vp2 console quite a bit, it was helpfull in determining that a wind spike i noticed was not the unit.  I have been poking around, and for the $65 difference, not sure its worth nothing being able to "see" what's going on with envoy issues.

So I put a new console on my xmas list.  It was near the bottom, one of those, if you really need to spend another $300 ones....

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 10:34:02 AM »

That's a great idea.  I'm going to have to keep that in mind.

I've been doing that with a Kodak W820 since the summer. Works great ! I not only have my VWS graphs and gauges and an occasional weather pics on it but also the lottery numbers (hey a guy can dream...), a weather forecast and some news. The nice thing is you can program it to turn on and off at select times.  I am going to sell the W820 so I can buy the W1020.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »
For 100 bucks I think I will have to get a 10"er.  http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5700402
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 02:09:51 PM »
EX1011 was replaced by the W1020.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:39:25 PM »
Doh,  #-o  I just spent $280 on a w1020 (oct 30th)... went on bestbuy after seeing this, and its $230 now.
Andrew

EX1011 was replaced by the W1020.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 12:42:39 PM »
And only $189 for the W1020at Newegg.ca - free shipping.  And BestBuy will beat their price by 10% of the diff.  Gotta love elctronics.  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882025016&Tpk=w1020

Online Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 10:03:56 AM »
There's a whole bunch of them on eBay for around $120.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 10:27:12 AM »
I've been doing that with a Kodak W820 since the summer...

Is that with a photo rss feed? If not can you give a few more details of what makes the image update. I can see how you get a static jpg displayed on the frame, but wasn't sure of how best to implement an auto-update feature and haven't had time to play as yet. Or maybe it's a special feature of VWS?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 10:56:22 AM »
There's a whole bunch of them on eBay for around $120.
Plus $100 shipping.  :)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 11:29:25 AM »
I've been doing that with a Kodak W820 since the summer...

Is that with a photo rss feed? If not can you give a few more details of what makes the image update. I can see how you get a static jpg displayed on the frame, but wasn't sure of how best to implement an auto-update feature and haven't had time to play as yet. Or maybe it's a special feature of VWS?

Bump.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything