Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 630592 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #5875 on: February 23, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »
This looks like the server is completely down, it does not even load a simple HTML page:

http://www.linyweather.net/

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5876 on: February 23, 2017, 06:06:04 PM »
It cannot even write the error in the error log and PHP cannot override the default "hide all errors" so I have no way to tell where the problem is

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5877 on: February 23, 2017, 06:18:50 PM »
Im working on your server now Jeff, but it is very difficult. The main problem is that server just shows Error 500, which is a general error - something like "an error" - somewhere something is somehow wrong :D
And to make things worse, you do not have error log on your server, where i could check this. And last, everything is painfully slow when trying to do this on my laptop.

Will keep on trying, dont do anything now.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5878 on: February 23, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »
Jeff you must have some kind of redirection set on your server.

When I login to your FTP there is just folder "weather" in the "www" folder.

However, when I try eg:
http://www.linyweather.net/weather/imgs/flags/big/cz.png

It does not show the image, obviously there cannot be "error" in an image file. What is the full URL to your template files?

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #5879 on: February 23, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »

However, when I try eg:

It does not show the image, obviously there cannot be "error" in an image file. What is the full URL to your template files?

You don't need to use "weather" as it automatically directs it to www/weather

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #5880 on: February 23, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »

However, when I try eg:

You don't need to use "weather" as it automatically directs it to www/weather

So it redirects the www.linyweather.net directly to the target.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5881 on: February 23, 2017, 06:31:50 PM »
Gotya

THis looks like a potential error in config because even the sticker is not working and the config is the only script it is loading...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5882 on: February 23, 2017, 06:36:36 PM »
OK, I guess you have to ask your provider. I tried a simple thing, I completely deleted the config.php and temporarily uploaded a completely empty file:

<?php

?>

and it thorwed Error 500 - seems like the entire PHP installation on the server is corrupted, something you have no way to fix (or me)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5883 on: February 23, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
OK, here:

http://linyweather.net/config2.php

A totally blank page. So ask 1and1, why a blank page is showing an error.... .

Code: [Select]
<?php

?>

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5884 on: February 23, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »
Jeff let me know what they told you at 1and1. This is 100% a server issue because blank pages show ERROR 500.

Make sure you dont let them ignore you. I did have the "pleasure" of communicating with 1and1 in the past.

First I was connected to Ruchika, who got lost as soon as I mentioned a CRON job and directed me to Markashi from the technical department. Markashi tried to persuade me for 10 minutes that this is a problem with my script. When I insisted that this is not a problem with the script he connected me with Phil, who fixed the problem with their server after 5 minutes and apologized...

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #5885 on: February 23, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »
Jeff let me know what they told you at 1and1. This is 100% a server issue because blank pages show ERROR 500.

Make sure you dont let them ignore you. I did have the "pleasure" of communicating with 1and1 in the past.

First I was connected to Ruchika, who got lost as soon as I mentioned a CRON job and directed me to Markashi from the technical department. Markashi tried to persuade me for 10 minutes that this is a problem with my script. When I insisted that this is not a problem with the script he connected me with Phil, who fixed the problem with their server after 5 minutes and apologized...

I'll call them in the morning.  Right now I can't stop coughing and my voice is gone :(

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #5886 on: February 23, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »

I'll call them in the morning.  Right now I can't stop coughing and my voice is gone :(

Hahahaha. It is back up.  So except for the issue with the satellite block it's working.  What Should I do with that?  Call them and tell them that certain urls are blocked suddenly?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5887 on: February 23, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
Strange

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #5888 on: February 23, 2017, 10:39:40 PM »
And sheeeeeeeeeee's out again all...

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5889 on: February 24, 2017, 06:43:53 AM »

I tried to use 1&1 for a side project a few years ago, where the DNS was being hosted on another server and not using theirs.  They have a stupid script that checks DNS and assumes that you're using theirs, and it actually DELETES YOUR SITE after 30 days if their DNS servers are not the primary for the entire domain name!!!  The Asia-based support folks are not permitted to speak directly with the German developers, so their promise that it wouldn't happen again lasted another 30 days until the site was wiped a second time.  Since I had to restore from backup copies that I thoughtfully kept on my own computers, I decided to restore the site on another hosting company's system and dump 1&1.  (I am happy with InMotion hosting after three years now, BTW.)

If you think the 1&1 saga ends there, you're mistaken.  I contacted customer support with 24 days left on my pre-paid quarterly plan, and told them that  I was disconnecting due to their system repeatedly deleting my web site.  21 Days later, my credit card on their account was charged for another quarter of service!  Customer support issued a refund, and promised that it wouldn't happen again.  Needles to say, they didn't keep that promise, either.  The only way that I could get away from them was to login to the customer control panel (that they also didn't shut off my access to) and change the credit card expiration date they were using so that the transactions failed.

Long story short, I would not use 1&1 to host a web site if they were the last hosting company on the face of the Earth.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #5890 on: February 24, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »
For the naSatellite block which does not work on my site, I am calling my host today - is there a URL I should tell them is being blocked?  It seems that our Canadian friends are not having a problem.  It's only my site in the USA...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - New Plugin – Jet Stream
« Reply #5891 on: February 24, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
New Plugin – Jet Stream

Hi guys,

a new plugin is now available, which shows the current jet stream for the whole world.

No need to setup, just update menu.php.

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/jetStream/index.php

Enjoy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5892 on: February 24, 2017, 09:04:01 AM »
For the naSatellite block which does not work on my site, I am calling my host today - is there a URL I should tell them is being blocked?  It seems that our Canadian friends are not having a problem.  It's only my site in the USA...

This is just a random example:
http://weather.gc.ca/satellite/satellite_anim_e.html?sat=goes&area=nam&type=1070x

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #5893 on: February 24, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »

This is just a random example:
http://weather.gc.ca/satellite/satellite_anim_e.html?sat=goes&area=nam&type=1070x

Thanks.

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #5894 on: February 24, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
Hahahahahaha.  So they are looking at the problem with the URL and now the site is broken again.  They have no clue what they are doing.  I have to look at dumping them.  What a mess.

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5895 on: February 24, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »
It could be that one of the gazillion other websites being hosted on the same server as yours was hacked, and your web site is caught in the collateral damage because Internet firewalls are blocking the malicious IP address.....

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5896 on: February 24, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
I would ask 1and1, they must know why it is down and I would very strongly require compensation for this. I had a similar argument with my host about 2 months ago. They refused to compensate me so i said I want to quit and cancel the contract. Only when they saw Im dead serious about it (I wasnt of course, but i sent them the filled-in form :D), they said they would give me one month free

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5897 on: February 24, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »
If you have console access, login and run the following command:

telnet weather.gc.ca 80

If it answers, type this and see what it sends back:

GET /satellite/satellite_anim_e.html

If the telnet session never connects, the 1&1 server is being blocked by firewall rules.....

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #5898 on: February 24, 2017, 03:03:33 PM »
I would ask 1and1, they must know why it is down and I would very strongly require compensation for this. I had a similar argument with my host about 2 months ago. They refused to compensate me so i said I want to quit and cancel the contract. Only when they saw Im dead serious about it (I wasnt of course, but i sent them the filled-in form :D), they said they would give me one month free

This is their response regarding the website going down every 5 minutes:

I am not sure about the other customers using it because I cannot see their accounts however, your issue is that you are exceed the amount of resources you are allotted which is causing the issue. There were processes running for your website that were taking too long, and using up the resources of allocated. Those processes were killed to allow the website to work again. This is a temporary fix, however, as the script starting those processes will likely run again and cause the same issue. You would either have to adjust the scripts or upgrade the package for more resources.

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
« Reply #5899 on: February 24, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »
If you have console access, login and run the following command:

telnet weather.gc.ca 80

If it answers, type this and see what it sends back:

GET /satellite/satellite_anim_e.html

If the telnet session never connects, the 1&1 server is being blocked by firewall rules.....

haha - it says "telnet command not found"