Weather Station Hardware > Weather Radios

Midland WR-300 high pitched squeal on all weather channels

<< < (2/3) > >>

BigOkie:

--- Quote from: Sigdigit on August 20, 2010, 01:37:41 PM ---You are not alone.  I heard of many others at the Amazon.com reviews saying same thing.  All I can say is squeaky wheel gets the grease!  Write to the customer service MANAGER at Midland.  Don't bother with a rep, they will just tell you that you need to buy a new radio basically.  Good luck.

--- End quote ---

Interesting...I've had mine now almost two years with zero problems.  Wonder if they bulid a bad batch or had some bad components...

Thunderbolt:
I heard from a reliable source, that Midland plans on replacing the WR-300 with a new version, possibly the WR-330 by this time next year. Several people that I know who have bought these radios, are complaining about the same problem with a high pitch squeal on all channels after they have been in use for over a year. They just decided to replace them with First Alert or Reecom models, since the price of repairing the radio was on par with a new replacement unit.

I have an old Midland three-channel weather alert radio that I bought back in 1989, which still works very well. The only reason I never use it anymore, is because it uses the 1050 Hz tone, rather than the newer SAME technology. There was nothing I hated worse than being awakened at 3:00 a.m. for a Special Marine Warning on Lake Huron, which is 150 kilometers away from where I live. Thankfully, I don't have to go through that anymore.

Yours truly,

Ron

8-Bits:
After about 2 years the NOAA radio and alerts stopped receiving while standard AM/FM works just fine.  As others have stated this seems to be a common flaw in an otherwise excellent product.

I just replaced the Midland with a Sangean CL-100.

John

dandrzejewski:
Question: When the WR-300 exhibits this behavior and stops receiving alerts, does it at least display the "Check Signal" message on the screen to indicate that something might be wrong?

mommyfixit:
I have the same one, and it recently started doing the same thing. It is a few years old, so I am guessing I will need to get a new one. :-(
I won the first one from a drawing at our weather station's open house, so I guess I can't complain too much...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version