Author Topic: Please recommend a WS that works with QNAP  (Read 3138 times)

Offline Astra

Please recommend a WS that works with QNAP
« on: July 21, 2014, 06:31:35 AM »
Hi all,

I have a QNAP nas that is 24/7 online so I am searching for a weather station that I can plug into the nas and use the web server that's running on it to display the data. I don't expect it to be as easy as plug and play but at least I want something tested. My budget is around 150-200euro and I want all the external sensors as well (not interested in UV)

Many thanks

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Re: Please recommend a WS that works with QNAP
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:39:09 AM »
I think the limitation is the  software to install on the qnap firmware. AFAIK noski on the qnap forums had a qpkg working on the qnap - pywws software.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=54137
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:46:51 AM by Toxic »
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline Astra

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »
Many thanks Toxic. So I need to find a compatible weather station with pywws or all of them can work with it? Sorry I am newbie in the weather world :)

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »
Most to work with pywws. I think the latest version is incompatible reading the thread I posted. Really depends on the price your willing to spend on a Weather station.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline Astra

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 04:42:50 AM »
Thank you. Well I had a budget of 200 euros and could potentially stretch to a Davis vue but then I found out I have to pay extra for the logger so its not worth it in my eyes.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »
Just remember you get what you pay for. From experience those cheaper stations tend to make you work for them rather than them work for you. In other words if you want something reliable that you don't have to worry about Davis is a great bet. I used to have Oregon Scientific stations and always had issues with them as well as Lacrosse stations.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Astra

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
Oh yeah, thats for sure, I just can't fork out 500euro for the Davis, I appreciate that's top but I can be happy with something less accurate. It will be just for my personal fun :)

anything