Author Topic: Acurite 00615  (Read 7821 times)

Offline Prince Winter Flurry

Acurite 00615
« on: January 29, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »
Is the Acurite 00615 a good brand? That's the type of Weather Station I have now and I'm not familiar with that brand.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:52:41 PM by Prince Winter Flurry »
Prince Winter Flurry

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: Acurite 00615
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:40:53 PM »
It's a good unit, been at home depot for about 2 years now- sold allot of them- had positive feedback.

I work for Chaney Instrument Co., we have been designing and producing wireless weather stations and thermometers for about 8 years now, but have produced analog weather products for about 50 years. We have worked hard to create products that are easy to use and accurate, all at a good price. I'll be hanging around the forums here just listening and interacting to learn more about what all you guys want in a weather station. Let me know what you think of the 00615, and have fun!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »
It's good so far. Can it be mounted on a Tree for accurate readings or will it have to be a post or a railing? Just asking and thank you.
Prince Winter Flurry

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 03:04:59 PM »
It's good so far. Can it be mounted on a Tree for accurate readings or will it have to be a post or a railing? Just asking and thank you.

Trees have some effect with your readings as stated in here ... http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:06:33 PM »
Thank you and I'm not sure where to install the Outdoor Sensor at. Will it work on the side of the house or does it have to be on a railing or a post?
Prince Winter Flurry

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
As stated in the above link, for the most accurate readings you'll want the sensors mounted away from any objects. Best location is out in the open about 1.5m high over a flat grassy area. Also enclosed in some type of radiation shield. Houses, walls, walkways, decks, etc. retain the surrounding temperatures and slower to change causing readings differences.

Here is an example of why the north side of the house, under the roof eave, may be not the ideal location. Sensor DW2642 is located in this manner while DW4009 is out in the open (in a radiation shield). VTCC is the international airport nearby.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »
What size of Screwdriver do I need to undo those clamp screws and what should I do if I accidentally strip the screws?
Prince Winter Flurry

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
As others have said, not the best to mount to a tree. Best to mount a wind sensor in a large open area and up high above obstructions. Make sure and be safe on those ladders!

A fence post or deck railing will work, but is obviously not the best for wind observations. It's always hard to give good suggestions for mounting, as everyones property and options are different.

The screws built into the clamp- I'm not sure of the actual size right now- do you have the sensor mounted onto the included adaptor or onto a pole of some kind?

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:24:56 AM »
Thanks and I mounted it on the back deck railing here. It is in the open. What is the 18 seconds for exactly on that weather station? Just wondering.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 02:26:47 PM by Prince Winter Flurry »
Prince Winter Flurry

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 12:09:35 AM »
The transmission interval is 18 seconds. The conditions are monitored and gathered, then sent to the display unit every 18 seconds.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 09:31:10 AM »
Thank you and I was curious. I thought it was only the wind speed that was updated every 18 seconds.
Prince Winter Flurry

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »
Hope it works better then the one wife gave me couple years ago for the cabin out of the box half the digital charter would not display, wind annometer didn't even make it thru the winter. direction works speed doesn't and eats batteries like crazy. I fixed the digital problem  by resolderning all the solder connections. But the annometer is still junk . Wa not worth the airplane trip or postage to send back. My opinion acurite it cheap and an piece of junk out to take your money. As bad as OS are complained about at least they work beyond 6 months.

John

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 12:42:01 AM »
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with an acurite product, i encourage anyone that has an issue to call our customer support people, they are very helpful.

The 00615 weatherstation Has had great quality at home depot (exclusive to home depot), we have had the product and many other products there for 3 years now in various forms to answer consumer needs- I promise you retailers DO NOT like returns and defects and our products continue to perform well! My uncle has had this unit installed at his home-brew windmill site for 2+ years and loves it, he has replaced the batteries twice. works great in pretty consistent 35mph winds. Runs his garage power exclusively by wind power, pretty cool!