Author Topic: Taking the plunge moving from OS to Davis and need guidance  (Read 4572 times)

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
Taking the plunge moving from OS to Davis and need guidance
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »
I'm taking the plunge.  I'm way too tired of the unreliability of my Oregon Scientific station and I'm moving to Davis.  I'm nearing retirement and this will be my one chance to get it right.  The options seem a bit overwhelming.  But here are what my needs are:  I need to separate the anemometer from the rest of the outdoor sensors.  I want wireless.  I want to update a web page and upload to weather underground.   I'm currently using VWS but would be interested in Cumulus. I'd like a solar sensor but it would have to be mounted with the anemometer on the roof.  I have a heavily treed lot and one at ground level would not be too useful.   Do I want a fan aspirated radiation shield?  How is it powered?  Any advise and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: Taking the plunge moving from OS to Davis and need guidance
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 08:20:08 PM »
I went from an OS 968 to a Davis VP2 there is no comparison. You will see that as soon as you open the box.

Software is just sorta a matter of personal preference. I like WUHU and VP Live.

The Vp2 allows you to seperate the wind and other sensors.

I have the USB data link and it works just fine.  Don't let others tell you that it does not work.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:27:06 PM »
I appreciate the advice.  I'm going to keep a OS WMR 200 going primarily because I have a number of indoor sensors.  We are not full time at our retirement place in the mountains and I like to keep tabs on the interior of the place and that is one advantage of the OS station.  Indoor sensors are small and relatively inexpensive.  But I really need a rock solid weather station for the rest.  I've done the external antennas on the OS gear and that helped a lot but it just is not as reliable as I'd like.

WA2ONG

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 09:27:05 PM »
I went from an OS 968 to a Davis VP2 there is no comparison. You will see that as soon as you open the box.

My first impression was "It's BIG!"

You'll love your Davis.  Good luck!  :)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 02:35:30 PM »
Also take a look at these guys. www.archertradingpost.com/atp

Never had an issue with them.

Also if you want a good software program try Weather Display. 70$ but worth it. If you don't plan to add additional stations to the VP2 Cumulus will do great.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:38:20 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »
If you don't plan to add additional stations to the VP2 Cumulus will do great.
Or, even if you do plan to add additional sensors, you might find that Cumulus will do, as it does have a degree of support for them.

You really need to look at all of the available software options yourself to see what facilities they offer, and whether they will be suitable for your needs, as information given by others can often be incorrect or out of date. I tried all of the well-known packages before quickly realising that Cumulus would do me just fine.

Eric.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Hey Andy,

I live just down the road from you on Smith Mountain Lake. I have had a VP2 for 6 1/2 years. Started with 6152, expanded to 2 6152s, upgraded to 6153 & 6152 w/ DFARS. I honestly do not think either FARS has improved my data. That is just my opinion but you can look here ( http://smlweather.com/downloads/Prodata_VP2_Guide.pdf ) for a study. As for the solar sensor on the roof, in my opinion, not a good idea. RE: software; once you go to Davis VP2 series you can use Steve Hatchet's(sp?) (http://softwx.com/index.html) software suite to open a universe.

Good luck, you will enjoy a Davis.

George

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:06:59 AM »
If you don't plan to add additional stations to the VP2 Cumulus will do great.
Or, even if you do plan to add additional sensors, you might find that Cumulus will do, as it does have a degree of support for them.

You really need to look at all of the available software options yourself to see what facilities they offer, and whether they will be suitable for your needs, as information given by others can often be incorrect or out of date. I tried all of the well-known packages before quickly realising that Cumulus would do me just fine.

Eric.
Cumulus will display but not log the additional temperatures and humidities. Which is what I refered to as "stations" in talking about the VP2. Sensors like solar radiation are fully supported and graphed. In my original post that's what I refered to.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »
Cumulus will display but not log the additional temperatures and humidities.
The latest version of Cumulus (1.9.3) displays and logs extra temperatures and humidities, and has done so since April of this year.

HTH.

Eric

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 07:16:31 PM »
Cumulus will display but not log the additional temperatures and humidities.
The latest version of Cumulus (1.9.3) displays and logs extra temperatures and humidities, and has done so since April of this year.

HTH.

Eric
So I finally found the version you were talking about but I didn't find it on the Sandaysoft site. I found it on the forum. For anyone interested here's a link http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7341

I am a storm chaser.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:03:55 PM »
So one more question:  I see the ISS is solar powered.  Is that the only option.  The weather station will be placed on a heavily treed lot.  And while I can point the solar cells south, I don't anticipate the station will get many hours of direct sunlight.  The portion that I'll split off and mount on the roof will fare better, but even that unit will get less sunlight this time of the year when the sun is low in the sky.

WA2ONG

Offline Jeff

• MansfieldWeather
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
There is the model 6152C (vantage Pro2 cabled version), or the 6162C (vantage Pro2 Plus Cabled version)

check davisnet.com for all the differences

Jeff

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster

I am a storm chaser.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »
Sorry for all the dumb questions.  I'm trying to climb the learning curve very fast.  Looking at some documentation tonight, it looks like the ISS has a 3 volt battery as backup to the solar cells, and Davis says the batteries should last 8 months even without any charging.  That works for me since certainly some charging will occur and even if I replaced the battery every 6-8 months on a worst case scenario that would not be a deal breaker.

WA2ONG

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »
You can also add a wallwart power supply to the wireless version.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
After much reading and the wonderful advice I received here, I think I'm ready to spend the bucks.  I think I'll place the order by week's end.  With luck sometime in December I'll have the new station running at Massanutten and the OS station will be relagated to indoor monitoring and backup status.  thanks to everyone who chimed in with some very helpful answers to my questions.

WA2ONG

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »
I know you're going to like it!   =D>

If you haven't already, you can go to the davis site and download all the manuals and read about everything while you're waiting on it's arrival.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
Hey Andy,

One more thing. Sounds like you plan to get the 6332 Anemometer Transmitter Kit. If possible, you will use the 40' lead on the Anemometer to mount the transmitter at a convenient location (south facing wall) for changing its backup battery.

FWIW

George

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 08:04:47 AM »
Well, I did it.  Placed the order for the Davis the other night.  It can't come too soon.  Out at Massanutten, once again most of the data is corrupted.  Bad data is stamped with a time of 8:217.  You can see this at http://www.reflectiveimages.org/massanuttenwx/  This error happens way too often.  At the Manassas station, the console lost contact with the outdoor temp sensor.  Unfortunatly I'll be limping along with Oregon Scientific at Manassas for a couple of years more till we retire full time to the mountains.  But boy I can't wait to set up the Davis at Massanutten!  Thanks for all the help I received.  Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving

WA2ONG

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »
Well, I did it.  Placed the order for the Davis the other night.  It can't come too soon.

Good for you.  I know you'll love it!   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA