Author Topic: Davis Advantage Veu set up with weatherlink query  (Read 648 times)

Offline collectors

Davis Advantage Veu set up with weatherlink query
« on: November 13, 2019, 01:05:34 AM »
Hi, i am trying to set up & register a "Davis Advantage Veu" with weatherlink.com & its asking me for the Device ID & Key. It say its on a sticker on the back of the unit & all i have is like the picture below. What do i enter? or am i looking in the wrong place.
DEVICE ID   "ENTER DEVICE ID" .       KEY "Enter Key" Thanks

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:07:46 AM by collectors »
Chris from Fair Green, Norfolk, UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Davis Advantage Veu set up with weatherlink query
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 03:56:48 AM »
A Vantage Vue will not connect to WeatherLink.com without a logger, the logger plugs into the Vantage Vue and the logger details (as such) is what WeatherLink.com requires. If not a WeatherLink IP logger then you are going to also get hit with a subscription.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 04:15:15 AM »
A Vantage Vue will not connect to WeatherLink.com without a logger, the logger plugs into the Vantage Vue and the logger details (as such) is what WeatherLink.com requires.

100% true of course (counting Weatherlink Live as an honorary logger even though it's a slightly different concept).

If not a WeatherLink IP logger then you are going to also get hit with a subscription.

Not quite so true: To start with, WeatherlinkIP loggers are not far off becoming unobtainable now - the last few are in the supply chain currently and Davis have no more at the factory. And IIRC IP loggers activated now no longer qualify as Pro devices, so there's no 'free' subscription included.

So IP loggers are no different to any other logger-based mechanism for uploading to weatherlink.com (eg WiFi Logger, Weatherlink Live, Windows PC running Weatherlink and receiving data from eg a USB or serial logger), whereby you get basic features for free but Pro features like historical data storage require the annual subscription.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 04:49:44 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline collectors

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 04:55:47 AM »
Ah! Many thanks for the info guys. I should of looked into it a bit more deeply. I got this as a very nice condition ebay purchase at £120 with a 90mile round trip to Norwich, Norfolk which i thought was ok & all works fine. But Now i realize more is needed if i want it on line. But the price is unbelievable for a usb cable £120 + if i am very lucky. This really should be built into the unit to make life easy.
There is one on line auction that i might be able to pick up quite a bit cheaper, but we will see.
Is there another alternative?? The unit i have is a Davis 6351UK. I also take it there is only one usb connector type??.
Laugh, It would actually be far cheaper to aim a webcam at the unit. lol

Thanks again

Chris
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 05:14:35 AM by collectors »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »
Oh there are many many ways, some of which have already been mentioned:

- WeatherLink Live
- Weatherlink IP (If you can find one)
- Weatherlink USB
- Weatherlink Serial
- Envoy or Envoy 8x with logger
- Vantage Connect
- Belfry Boy USB clone (does he still make and sell these?)
- WiFiLogger
- Meteobridge NANO
- Combinations of the above with other software like: Weatherlink PC, Cumulus, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, WeeWx (to gain other capabilities)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 03:13:55 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 05:06:41 PM »
So true WLIP loggers are not far from being unobtainable and I would say for the whole business purpose of hitting up users into ongoing yearly subscriptions.

And if IP loggers that were brought before all this WL2.0 subscription crap ever came into being (and I have these as spares) don't "qualify" for automatic so call free subscription (under the terms they were bought) then somebody better be prepared for a fight.     

Offline collectors

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 12:42:34 PM »
Any suggestion or help would be appreciated. Got a USB Data logger from Prodata Associate. But! what i thought was going to be so simple, i now see is not as it won't connect. Now It shows up in my system in the USB controllers as a "USBXpress device"  but when i press "set up-communication port..." in weatherlink i get the image below. Now, the computer is brand new & all is ok with everything else, i also updated the drivers in the usb device, but no luck. Any ideas???

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »
https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/new-installations

See the communications port topic. Basically, connect via the serial option and hit Autodetect.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline collectors

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 03:12:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply. It seems it wanted the vantage Vue to be compleatly powered down & rebooted. I now have a connection. Phew! 

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 03:59:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply. It seems it wanted the vantage Vue to be compleatly powered down & rebooted. I now have a connection. Phew!

If you look at the installation instructions for the data logger, it states that you should remove all power (AC and battery) from the console, before installing the logger.  Then install the logger, and restore power.