Author Topic: My Acurite pro with bridge experience  (Read 23838 times)

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
My Acurite pro with bridge experience
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »
Ok here is my review of am Acurite 01055 Pro Weather Station with Bridge.  I bought it to give to my Brother in law who lives about a mile up the road.  I need to get it all working and setup before I install it because his computer skills are about what mine are for Klingon cloaking devices.
It came from the Post Office in separate shipping box. Which is good, I was afraid that they would ship it in the display box.

The display box was kinda flimsy.

I opened it up and checked for all of the parts and anything that might be broken,  all was well.  One thing I noticed right off was that it did not come with batteries.  The last two weather stations I bought did.

The sensor unit is about half the size of a Davis unit and came fully assembled.  No need to mount wind vanes or cups.  I think they are targeting people who want any easy simple install.
I initially put the sensor unit next my Davis in hopes of making side by side comparisons.   This was to be a temporary location until I got it all working and ready to move it up the road to my Brother in laws house.   It took me less than 30 minutes to unpack and setup the test site.

The next part was the display. It is smaller than both my Davis and Oregon Scientific displays.

I waited for it to sync with the sensor unit and waited.  No contact.  I took it out to the porch still no contact.  I finally had to carry the display outside next to the sensor before it would make contact. Once it connected I carried it back inside and it lost contact.  Both the Davis and Oregon work from that location.
I gave up and moved it up closer to the house 50 feet from the office.   Still no contact.   If I took it out on the porch it worked, inside it stopped.  So much for the three hundred foot wireless range.
I gave up again and moved it up onto my upstairs deck 20 feet from the office.  It made contact.  Well I would hope so.  The display in on the sill inside the window.

I am kinda dismayed now because the planned final location was going to be about 200 feet and it sure ain’t gonna work at that distance.

Next was to set up the bridge.  Instructions were simple enough.  Hook it up to your router  one of the lights will blink while it downloads firmware, when both lights flash push the register button for 4

seconds (actually there were two sets of instructions. One said four seconds and the other said two and a half seconds to four seconds)  and then enter the MAC address of the bridge  into your account with Acurite.com.
Well I plug it in and  I get two steady lights.  No sign of any download going on.  I turn it on and off a couple times ,two steady lights. I swap lan cables, no go.  Well maybe I don’t need flashing lights. I push the register button, nothing. I repeat about ten times still nothing.   I go the Acurite.com registration page enter all the data.  Click register.  I get a message that I am either stupid and don’t know how to enter a MAC address or the bridge is not connected.
Ok maybe the button is multipurpose like on some routers ect.  I push and hold for 10 seconds the lights blink once and stay steady.  Humm no download no two flashing lights. I try the registration again just for fun. Acurite says I am still stupid.  I try the on off again, nothing. I am kinda mad by now I push the button about ten times as fast as I can, bonk, I now got two flashing lights but no download.   And, it still won’t register.  I turn it off and on and bingo it starts downloading.  Instructions say it may take 30 minutes. It took longer.
I finally get the one steady and one flashing light and the register button works.  A frustrating process and I don’t think the average buyer would ever have gotten it to work.  I sure hate to think of what support would have told me to do.

I went to Acurite.com turned on the Wunderground upload and it worked right off.  So far the numbers are tracking fairly close to the Davis unit. I would not expect them to be the same as one is on a second floor deck and the other over grass.  The bridge is not reporting any wind gust.  I don’t know if it is supposed to or not.  I am going to give it a few days to settle down and check accuracy and then move it up the road.   I am going to be real unhappy if I can’t get some range out it.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
Re: My Acurite pro with bridge experience
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
You have a Klingon cloaking device?  :lol: Cool! 

Thanks for taking the time to share the experience. I am leaning toward getting the bridge at this time. Good to know what hoops to jump through when it gets here. Just curious what kind of refresh rate you are getting with wunderground?  I just went for a short walk with my display. I watched it update at roughly 150 feet several times. I did not try any farther, as I was drinking a beer, and decided walking down the street with an open container was not a good idea. I wonder if you are getting some interference from some other source in the same frequency range. Seems like 50 feet is a pretty short distance. Thanks again for the write up.

Jack
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »
It is updating at exactly 15 minutes.  The bridge only updates to WU.  I am thinking if this was my main station I would have to use the bridge with a metobridge.   I have one but the license has expired but sure would provide a lot more flexability.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 07:32:51 PM »
That sounds a little better than was previously reported (20min).

Home Weather Server:

PWS Weather Link:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
If you're using the stock AcuRite method, MyBackYardWeather.com forwards data to wunderground every 15 minutes.

There is no wind gust data coming from the bridge.  I can provide details on what's transmitted if you're interested.

As for range, I don't want to say anything that might color your investigation, but it's a subject really worth exploring.

One thing you might do is find the IP number assigned to the the bridge, then use your web browser to open the web page at that address.  You'll get some some version numbers and other information that might be helpful in your review.

Also, if you don't already have it, you should find the spec sheet useful: http://www.weatherequipment.com/assets/images/PDF/Five-in-One-Professional-Weather-Station-Specifications.pdf

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »
I would not have thought to bring up the bridge IP like that. Interesting and I woundered if there was a way to turn those silly leds off.    There has to be a bunch more stuff you can do.     I am thinking the thing might be running lenox or VX.   Have you found any other w ay to access it?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »
If you figure out the bridge's IP, you can open a web page at that address.  There will be a button that reads "toggle LED" or something to that effect.  Press that and you can turn those blue LED lights off. 

I'm surprised more people don't ask about that.  Those blue flashing lights are pretty annoying in a dark room.

Some people turn off the LEDs by accident (or forget) and later think their bridge is broken, so remember that you've done this.

To turn them back on, go back to the web page and hit "toggle" again.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »
It feels like it might be running Linux, but that's just a guess.

I haven't been able to find any other way to access it other than monitoring the traffic that comes out.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
Well the station has been up for a couple of weeks.    I am pleased at how accurate the 5in 1 seems to be. It is tracking very close to my Davis station.

Now if the bridge capabilities could be increased it might start to be a fairly good station.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 09:44:53 PM »
I agree, it is a very accurate sensor. I have been really enjoying the weather station. They did a great job on this unit!

Home Weather Server:

PWS Weather Link:

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 10:49:16 AM »

Hopefully not, as his would be a significant GPL violation!

Given the very limited functionality I guess it does not have a Linux or OpenWrt heart inside.
Looks more like a plain TCP/IP stack with some functional enhancemants on top of that.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline eas

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 03:08:38 AM »

It isn't running Linux. I posted a tear-down earlier this year. The bridge runs on a low-power 8-bit micro-controller. It might be hackable with the right equipment and skills, but it won't be easy.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 03:35:18 AM »
It isn't running Linux. I posted a tear-down earlier this year. The bridge runs on a low-power 8-bit micro-controller. It might be hackable with the right equipment and skills, but it won't be easy.

Ah!  Thanks for that!  I've put off distributing a raspi image that enhances the bridge's functionality thinking AcuRite would eventually add features, but it looks like that isn't too likely.

Still, it doesn't seem like it would take too much to print the raw data on the already existing web page....or at least some basic debug info in case of problems.

Offline jems

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »
How does the data get to the bridge?   Does it come from the display unit, or the outdoor unit?
Also, shouldn't there be an "A B C" switch on the bridge as well, so all 3 devices are on the same channel?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 12:55:31 PM »
It goes directly from the sensor to  the bridge and to the display but the display is not required.   Mine is in the closet with no batteries.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »
How does the data get to the bridge?   Does it come from the display unit, or the outdoor unit?
Also, shouldn't there be an "A B C" switch on the bridge as well, so all 3 devices are on the same channel?

The bridge listens to the radio signal transmitted from the sensors.  In other words, it hears the same signals the display hears.

The A-B-C switch doesn't actually change the transmission frequency.  It just somehow sets an identifier in the data packet that the displays can use to tell sensors apart (where that is done isn't exactly clear to me).  The bridge doesn't care about telling sensors apart... it just forwards what it hears to the Internet  It's the job of the server to tell the sensors apart.

FYI, the bridge also has it's own internal barometer like a display would have... that's the reading sent to the Internet.  That's why the pressure you see on the display is probably different from what you see on the web site (i.e. there are two separate barometers not calibrated to each other).

Offline jems

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
Great info.   Thanks!
So, if my neighbor had one of these units, we'd be receiving each others' data?

I'm mounting the device now, and it starts raining.   The first rain we've had in several months, and it has to rain today.   I'll get this thing mounted today no matter how hard it rains!

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
My experience is that the radio range is so short that your neighbor would have to be very close to cause interference.  You will be lucky to get 100ft.

Be sure to test it before a permanent mounting is done.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
Great info.   Thanks!
So, if my neighbor had one of these units, we'd be receiving each others' data?

Yes, and that's quite normal.  Wireless weather sensors generally don't transmit their data on a secure channel, so anyone listening with an appropriate receiver can pick them up.

Offline jems

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 05:17:47 PM »
Ok, got everything working.  I'm kinda confused though.   I see my sensor on the acu-link site, but the names of what I'm seeing are confusing.  I named the device, but I see the following in my Backyard Weather:
  "Five In One"
  "Bridge"
  "Tower"
  "AcuRite HQ"

The "Tower" readings have what appears to be a low-battery indicator, but the batteries are new and good.
The "Five In One" readings have 2 signal strength bars.
The "Tower" has 1 signal strength bar.

The indoor console unit looks great-- with all 4 bars good and strong.  If I place the indoor console unit next to the Bridge, it still has 4 bars.  So I think the Bridge should have good signal as well.

The Bridge and console are about 30' from the sensor.

I registered on Weather Underground, and it seems to be reporting everything except Wind Gust.
Initially, the "Nearby Weatherstations" on Weather Underground showed my station.  But now it is gone from that map.  But the data still appears to be coming in.   So, I don't know what is going on with that.

This is my station:    http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KAZTUCSO235

I read that it takes 1 day for everything to show up.  Could I just be getting some hit-and-miss info--- until my 1 day has passed?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »
Your signal strengths I think are typical.   The bridge and display are separate radios an will not necessarily show the same.  If you go back up and read my original review you will see pictures of the thing less than 50 ft and not working.

WU has been flakey for several months. The current data and the map and nearby stations appear to be on different servers and update at different intervals.  Mine have not matched for several days.

The bridge does not send gust.

Offline jems

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 05:35:25 PM »
Beaudog:
  Ya, I saw your post and how the signal was weak even when the distance was minimal.
  I'll just give it some time and see how it goes.

Do you use the acu-link.com site?  I know what "Bridge" is.  But what is "Tower", "Five In One", and "AcuRite HQ" ?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 05:41:39 PM »
Kinda just what they say. The 5in one is your main outdoor unit.   Tower is a separate sensor. If you do not have one it may belong to a neighbor.  Acurite hq is just that their barometer in Colorado.  I turn that off. I think they have that on there for testing.

If you would PM me your MAC  address I could follow your reports for a while using the follow a friends bridge feature.

If indeed the tower sensor is not yours you may need to change channles on both your bridge and outdoor unit.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »
Yours looks good unless you do not have a tower sensor.  If you do not then I think you need to change channles.

anything