Author Topic: Purchase - Acurite Atlas or Ambient WS-2000?  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Clint1583

Purchase - Acurite Atlas or Ambient WS-2000?
« on: October 30, 2018, 07:48:10 PM »
Like many, I've had an older Acurite 5-1 which is need of replacement and I've holding out for this new Atlas model. And yes I've been going back and forth on the various current issues with it. I've also been recently looking at the Ambient WS-2000 which certainly seem's to be comparable in many ways.

Are there any strong view points of going with one over the other for the typical backyard weather station owner like myself? The Atlas doesn't have many reviews yet simply because it's so new but the WS-2000 at least on Amazon has a fairly high rating.

Just looking for any suggestions or advice, I'd like to be able to get something before our rainy season here in Northern California starts.

Thanks!

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
Re: Purchase - Acurite Atlas or Ambient WS-2000?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »
I got an upgraded array today,  the WS-2902-ARRAY (same array as the WS-2000 less the display) after waiting ever so long on the Atlas only to see it was released with bugs after over a year of field testing (although in fairness I would guess the issue is probably more about production and quality control).  But I set it up today running thru my old firmware updated ObserverIP module. The array works great,  seems durable and stable, and comparisons to other units in my area so far today have it spot on.  Setup was super easy, and I'm up and running at PSW Weather, AmbientWeather.net and Weather Underground already. 

I'm happy,  but I probably will not be able to resist the allure of the Lightning strike detector,  so I would guess there is a Atlas in my future as soon as the buggy first production run units get sold out. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:11:07 PM by MrM1 »

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 12:07:18 AM »
Here is a guy chatting it up about the WS-2902a ... Which has the same array as the WS-2000.  He reviews it's accuracy to a Vantage Vue.

https://www.weatherstationadvisor.com/ambient-weather-ws-2902-review/

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
Acutrash

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 11:01:13 AM »
I'm happy with my Atlas and they seemed to have gotten the bugs out
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline Clint1583

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses, especially for that video link on the Ambient review. Lot's to consider....

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »
I personally am pulling the trigger on the WS-2000.  After waiting for an Atlas for almost 2 years,  I got the Osprey Array (same as the WS-2000) and am so happy with it I will re-purpose it for another location and will add in the WS-2000 as well.    I am going the way of the WS-2000 for:

1. I dont like the way the Atlas handles daily rain totals on the display
2. Atlas bugs with lightning  (being worked out)
3. Atlas Seems limited in data distribution. I dont like MyAcurite as much as AmbientWeather.net and there does not appear to be a direct path to Weather Cloud which I am liking more and more.  (but perhaps I'm not seeing this one clearly yet)
4. I don't like the way Atlas handles additional sensors
5. I just like the WS-2000 display Better than the Atlas (personal  thing)

Offline Clint1583

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 01:44:28 PM »
One quick question, on the WS-2000 is that external temperature sensor the main temp. sensor for the unit or is just an extra sensor to be used at a different location? In other words if I didn't use the stand alone temperature sensor that comes with it, will I still get a temperature reading from the main unit?

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 03:53:45 PM »
Yes you will get temp readings with out the WH31b sensor.  The louvered section of the main array is the main outside temp sensor.

Offline cjtamu

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 02:25:21 PM »
One quick question, on the WS-2000 is that external temperature sensor the main temp. sensor for the unit or is just an extra sensor to be used at a different location? In other words if I didn't use the stand alone temperature sensor that comes with it, will I still get a temperature reading from the main unit?

Are you talking about the external sensor that comes with the WS-2000 package? That's a WH32B sensor. Gives you indoor temp, humidity, and your barometric pressure. You'll want to use it.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 05:03:22 PM »
Since there isn't a perfect station that ticks all the boxes there is always going to be pros and cons....that said...

For me the biggest difference with the Acurite Atlas versus the Ambient WS-2xxx was the ability to publish my data anywhere I wanted/needed. With my Ambient Station I'm able to easily publish to all weather sites, my own website (for future consideration), my own SQL database for backup, and I'm able to run 3rd party weather software (Meteobridge, WeeWx, Weather-Display).  In particular was the ability to have a CWOP/MADIS station.

With the Acurite Atlas right now you are limited to just having your data on WU, and myAcuite.com, and you can manually pull an SD card out of the console and do manual backups I suppose....but that seems ridiculous as it can't be automated and does nothing for helping to publish elsewhere. The Acurite closed product design tells someone like me that Acurite doesn't care about the person that wants to do more with their data. If you are happy with those limited choices then that is totally fine. Everyone is different.

Most importantly this newest Ambient hardware is much improved over the prior generation. That review posted earlier in this thread has an error. It mentioned that the older generation uses the same sensor suite but the new model is in a different package. That is not true. The new Ambient stations have newer generation Sensirion sensors SHT30 that are almost as good as the SHT31 in the Atlas and Davis systems. If more perfect data especially at lower than 10% humidity is important to you then don't get the Ambient.

Acurite could change and give new features to the Access with a firmware update. But I feel they need to deliver before they deserve my sale and my recommendation. I'm hoping they do reflect on what I'm saying as I see much potential in their new Atlas product line. A stronger Acurite system will only force Davis to also get off their lazy complacent laurels and wake up from 1986 and get back to the current decade. It is my hope that by the time the Atlas Elite launches that it truly becomes a VP2 killer. That way the VP3 can be that much better. It is healthy competition that keeps us happy. It is bad to be a specific manufacture fanboy....all you do is hinder product innovation with your biased product endorsement and recommendation and your blind eye to product issues and shortcomings.

Ambient has their issues too. All in one design is a limitation. Lesser sensor part model. Limited console range compared to Davis....etc. I tell it like it is. No sugar coating. Make your own pros and cons table and then decide what is important for you.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 05:16:58 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 06:13:46 PM »
Contrary to the opinion of those with no experience, getting your data out isn't a big deal.

People have been doing it with Acurite gear for years, and continue to do so.

The most common way to do it is by "sniffing" the data as it goes across the network wire.  Another way is to pull the data directly from the airwaves using a $20 USB TV dongle and free software like RTL_433.  A driver doesn't exist yet for the Atlas, but it's only a matter of time.

Personally, I prefer the clean nature of using RTL_433 on a Pi with a $20 dongle.  Add weewx to the mix and you have one heck of a weather station system.

Acurite has been planning to have the Access transmit data to other networks for quite a while now, but it got put on the back burner when it became evident the older SmartHUB hardware wasn't going to be able to pull it off due to technical limitations.  With the Access, hopefully they will soon be back on track with that.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:45:25 PM by nincehelser »

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »
That seems like a lot of process,  tech know-how and additional hardware and costs (be it ever so minimal).    And using one of those methods without a Pi,  would that require leaving a computer on all the time?   

In the OPs original question - Acurite Atlas or Ambient WS-2000? - for a direct upload, Ambient Weather has the slight edge as far as data uploads go. 

1. WS-2000: AmbientWeather.net / Weather Underground / PWS / Weather Cloud
2. Atlas: MyAcurite / Weather Underground

If data uploads are important,  it kinda depends on what you like best / better.   I really like AW.net and WeatherCloud's layout. As far as ease of setup,  I just set up a WS-2000 today and got it connect to all 4 in just a few hours.  Very Easy.  Your mileage may vary
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 07:11:51 PM by MrM1 »

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
I went from 5 in 1 to Atlas (briefly) and now have the WS-2000.

One factor that hasn't been mentioned is that the WS-2000 kit includes a smart WiFi console.  That means no separate hub to locate, provide power to and hardwire to a router.  It also means that the console can communicate with the internet.  An example is time direct from a NIST server. Another example is the ability to configure weather websites direct from the console. (ex: WU).  The console also acts like a range extender if your router is located further from the sensor array then the console.

So far my WS-2000 has performed flawlessly. 

I still have an older 5 in 1 at the coast and it's been OK. I'd suggest either replacing/repairing your old 5 in 1 sensor while waiting to see if the Acurite Elite emerges and looks promising or get the WS-2000 now.  For me, there's no compelling reason to consider Atlas.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:16:08 PM by davefr »