Author Topic: Vue <> VP2 <> Wireless or what ???  (Read 2762 times)

Offline Kim P

Vue <> VP2 <> Wireless or what ???
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »
Ed did an incredible job as he described the dilemma he faced several months back. And now I too feel like Ed finding himself face to face with the precipice of committing to a piece of technology worth a bunch of $$$. That you hope will serve ones whimsical desires for many years to come. I have come to the conclusion that I too will be purchasing a Davis home Thermometer that has a couple extra attachments built into it. And I too have not decided on the particular model I have a lot of the same questions that Ed had like

I've looked at both the Davis Vue and the VP2.  I like the idea of being able to put the anemometer up high and the  rain gauge and thermo/hyro unit down low so that gives the VP2 an edge.  But, the Vue is less expensive.

My situation is quite different site wise though as I am surrounded by trees mostly 40' or less but some taller. My initial Idea was mounting a Davis Vue on top of my antenna mast (for internet) it is about 40' tall. Then I found out that the main unit should be closer to the ground and away from the house. Well my mast is close to my house in a sheltered inside corner. So probably not the best place to get good rainfall data there perhaps if I was to mount it so that the main instrument assembly were 5-6 ft off the ground on a bracket that placed the unit about 7-8 feet away from the eave of the house.

I had though that the console was compatible with both the Vue and the VP2 so I was thinking on buying a Vue and at some latter point picking up a VP2 ISS if I really got into this or felt I needed the wind sensor separate. But then I saw that you had said that you decided to go with the VP2 because of the ability to add additional sensors and upgradability. So I am left with the assumption that if I get the Vue it comes with an inferior console.

Then there is the cabled option of the VP2, Apparently living in west central Alberta means I will have to change a lithium batterie every year or two so if I got the wireless /solar version. (Definitely my original idea of a Vue on top of my antenna mast is out the window.) It appears as though I could start with a cabled unit and pick up a solar charger/transmitter if I wanted later. I doubt with my northern climate I will be in the market for the fan or UV sensors.

I would be most interested in how you Ed made out with your VP2 in these last several months is it all that you were hoping for?

Was it more then you needed?

Would you consider the cabled version?

Anyone with input on possibly starting with a wireless Vue unit in my site situation then potentially just picking up that VP2 ISS module later and having 2 stations? Is it possible?

Or even if the console that comes with either the Vue or Cabled VP2 is the right one to use with the wireless VP2 ISS solar module.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and input.

Kim

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Vue <> VP2 <> Wireless or what ???
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:49:28 PM »
Buy once, cry once Dad always said.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 10:01:37 AM »
RE: "It appears as though I could start with a cabled unit and pick up a solar charger/transmitter if I wanted later."

Not compatible - ISS to console

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
I have not owned a Vue but I do own an original Vantage Pro and a VPro2, both wireless.  I would say wait and save your money to get the VPro2 wireless.  Don't worry about the lithium battery needing to be replaced more often, they're not that expensive.  You can wire the anemometer to your 40' mast and then find a good ground location for the ISS and rain gauge.  You can add other sensors too.  I have 2 extra temp/hum and 3 extra temperature sensors on mine.  I thought that I would never need the extra sensors but I love the ability to monitor different things with them. 

Check out the prices that Ryan has on the Vantage Pro 2 units at Archer Trading in Florida and you may find that you can afford it sooner than you think!

http://www.archertradingpost.com/atp/
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline Kim P

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »
Thanks for the pointers especially about incompatibility. I bit the bullet and went with the VP2 and now eagerly await the arrival of it at my location. :) I might have to mount the anemometer in a low spot temporarily for the winter as my access to the mast is kind of weather dependent on my ability to walk around on the roof of my house.

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
Thanks for the pointers especially about incompatibility. I bit the bullet and went with the VP2 and now eagerly await the arrival of it at my location. :) I might have to mount the anemometer in a low spot temporarily for the winter as my access to the mast is kind of weather dependent on my ability to walk around on the roof of my house.

Trust me.  You'll be very happy with the VPro 2.  You made the right choice, plus there are alot of VP2 owners here too!
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline Kim P

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 11:38:43 AM »
Would I be right to assume that you Piconut are one of them? Is that cool looking dashboard of a web site that you have supported by a VP2?

Kim

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
Would I be right to assume that you Piconut are one of them? Is that cool looking dashboard of a web site that you have supported by a VP2?

Kim

Hi Kim...

Yes, I use Cumulus to create the data file that feeds the site and the Cumulus templates along with the SteelSeries Gauges are what you are seeing as the "dashboard".

Virtual Weather Station (VWS) can also be used to supply data to the steel gauges, and I think Weather Display and a couple other weather programs will work as well.  Cumulus is free but I suggest you make a donation if you like it (as I did)!

Cumulus can be found here: http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus

Info about the SteelSeries Gauges can be found here: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/SteelSeries_Gauges

Plenty of info can also be found in this forum on both Cumulus and the SteelSeries Gauges (as well as VWS and Weather Display.

Don't forget that you'll need a data logger to get data out of the VPro to use in any weather software program.
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 06:59:30 PM »

Kim

Hi Kim...

Yes, I use Cumulus to create the data file that feeds the site and the Cumulus templates along with the SteelSeries Gauges are what you are seeing as the "dashboard".

Virtual Weather Station (VWS) can also be used to supply data to the steel gauges, and I think Weather Display and a couple other weather programs will work as well.  Cumulus is free but I suggest you make a donation if you like it (as I did)!

Cumulus can be found here: http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus

Info about the SteelSeries Gauges can be found here: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/SteelSeries_Gauges

Plenty of info can also be found in this forum on both Cumulus and the SteelSeries Gauges (as well as VWS and Weather Display.

Don't forget that you'll need a data logger to get data out of the VPro to use in any weather software program.

And, if you are considering VWS, you must purchase the Internet version which enables the internet upload features of the software
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 01:25:17 AM »
If I may add my 0.02 cents. I'd recommend Weather Display over VWS. You'll save around 30$. I've used both in the past and as far as user friendliness, features, and support Weather Display In my honest opinion wins hands down.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.