Author Topic: 4" rain gauge  (Read 8522 times)

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
4" rain gauge
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »
This rain gauge is like new.  I used the outer cylinder this winter to catch snow, but haven't used the insides and it hasn't been mounted.

It comes with the instructions, mount, cloud chart, rain log and screws for mounting. 

These are about $30 with shipping new, but I'll sell this one for $23 (shipping included).

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
Re: 4" rain gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:16:18 PM »
Just to let you know that you can get them for 20 dollars if your a cocorah member.

Tim

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 04:28:46 PM »
Just to let you know that you can get them for 20 dollars if your a cocorah member.

Tim

Where?

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:43:03 PM »

Tim

Where?

Weatheryourway.com lists them for $23 + s/h
Ambientweather.com lists them for 22.95 + s/h

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 06:44:20 PM »
The link on the CoCoRaHS site says the rain gauge costs $23, plus about $7 in shipping.

I'm offering this one for $23 total (which includes shipping).  That's a 23% discount.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:04:07 AM »
The link on the CoCoRaHS site says the rain gauge costs $23, plus about $7 in shipping.

I'm offering this one for $23 total (which includes shipping).  That's a 23% discount.

It is a fair price, and if I needed another one ( I already have 2 complete ones and some spare parts) I would buy it.  I do point out that there may be more than 17,000 gauges that are not in use.  Today 6,379 reports were submitted out of 23,875 stations

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »
I sure wish I could find one around here somewhere. I need something like that to compare with the station gauge. I feel if I purchased one internationally that it wouldn't survive mail handling. I'll just keep my eyes open and maybe get lucky one day.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 07:55:50 AM »
My CoCoRaHS guage will be here tomorrow. And as soon as I get it mounted and get a full 24 hour day in. I will start submitting my data. Sure wish I would have had it this past week. We've had quiet a bit of rain. But of course with my OS guage measuring in 0.04 per tip. I've probably missed some. Atleast with the manual guage. I can add it to VWS manually.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:04:34 AM »
I sure wish I could find one around here somewhere. I need something like that to compare with the station gauge. I feel if I purchased one internationally that it wouldn't survive mail handling. I'll just keep my eyes open and maybe get lucky one day.

Dan,

The cocorahs gauges are really heavy duty plastic/acrylic stuff.  If you added a note to add extra packing, it would probably be ok.

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:05:34 AM »
My CoCoRaHS guage will be here tomorrow. And as soon as I get it mounted and get a full 24 hour day in. I will start submitting my data. Sure wish I would have had it this past week. We've had quiet a bit of rain. But of course with my OS guage measuring in 0.04 per tip. I've probably missed some. Atleast with the manual guage. I can add it to VWS manually.

You may find that you need to adjust your tipper gauge.  I need to tweak mine, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 09:00:41 AM »

You may find that you need to adjust your tipper gauge.  I need to tweak mine, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

My Davis was off 24%, and I did not know it until I got my CoCoRaHS gauge.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 01:06:14 AM »

Greg, I didn't know it was possible to adjust an OS rain gauge. How do you do that?

Alan
Alan

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 07:51:33 AM »

Greg, I didn't know it was possible to adjust an OS rain gauge. How do you do that?

Alan

There looks to be adjusting nuts under the bucket stops.  I've seen this written about somewhere before, but I can't locate it right now.  It's not in the OS or RS manuals.  Perhaps google?

Edit:  found a page that talks about it.  This guy doesn't like OS products, but explains how to adjust them anyways:  http://jimsun.linxnet.com/jdp/wx/raingage_calibration.html

Greg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:56:46 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 08:05:52 AM »
That's some good technical info there to print out and save (minus the sour grapes leading into it). :-|

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 08:56:38 AM »
Thanks Greg for that. Boy does that guy hate Oregon, I suppose he is entitled to his opinion.

Alan
Alan

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 08:12:02 AM »
Well my guage arrived yesterday. Now all I have to do is find a post to mont it to and wait for the rain to stop.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 08:14:55 AM »
Well my guage arrived yesterday. Now all I have to do is find a post to mont it to and wait for the rain to stop.

Suggestion:  It should be easily accessable.  You're going to be looking at it every morning.  Also think about if there will be snow/ice on the route in the winter.

Remember, it's a hobby.   ](*,)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 08:54:45 AM »

Suggestion:  It should be easily accessable.  You're going to be looking at it every morning.  Also think about if there will be snow/ice on the route in the winter.

I second that!  CoCoRaHS stresses that you should not take risks to provide precip data.
CoCoRaHS requires training before submitting your reports.  You can get your training online at:http://www.cocorahs.org/Media/docs/CoCoRaHS_Training_5.0.pdf
Here's some gauge mounting tips from that training presentation.
Distance from obstacles
• In open areas strive to be twice as far
from obstacles as they are high.
• In developed areas strive to be as far

Distance between Trees: Ideally, place your gauge equidistant from the nearest trees.
Height above the ground: This is to improve gauge catch by reducing wind speed.
In open areas place the gauge top approx. 2 feet off the ground
In developed areas place the gauge top approx. 5 feet off the ground.
This is to improve gauge catch by reducing the impact of nearby obstacles.
LEVEL and BEVEL
Make sure your gauge is level.  An unlevel gauge will reduce the catch area.
Bevel the top of the post to reduce rain splashing into the gauge from the post top.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 03:15:48 PM »

I second that!  CoCoRaHS stresses that you should not take risks to provide precip data.
CoCoRaHS requires training before submitting your reports.  You can get your training online at:http://www.cocorahs.org/Media/docs/CoCoRaHS_Training_5.0.pdf
Here's some gauge mounting tips from that training presentation.
Distance from obstacles
• In open areas strive to be twice as far
• In developed areas strive to be as far

Distance between Trees: Ideally, place your gauge equidistant from the nearest trees.
Height above the ground: This is to improve gauge catch by reducing wind speed.
In open areas place the gauge top approx. 2 feet off the ground
In developed areas place the gauge top approx. 5 feet off the ground.
This is to improve gauge catch by reducing the impact of nearby obstacles.
LEVEL and BEVEL
Make sure your gauge is level.  An unlevel gauge will reduce the catch area.
Bevel the top of the post to reduce rain splashing into the gauge from the post top.

I downloaded that one, plus some others that were on the site. Can't get the darn thing to print out. It keeps causing Adobe reader to lock up. Would much easier to complete that pdf training if I could print it out rather than try to read it off the monitor. And besides how do they know if you even completed the training? It's your word against theirs?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 03:57:22 PM »
Its a "green" pdf, printing is turned off to save trees... but seriously, that pdf has so much background and images, etc, your ink cartridge would be empty by page 10 of 110.  PDF's are notoriously resource hogs, when it comes to printing, escpecially ones so detailed.... its really meant to be read online.

Andrew

I downloaded that one, plus some others that were on the site. Can't get the darn thing to print out. It keeps causing Adobe reader to lock up. Would much easier to complete that pdf training if I could print it out rather than try to read it off the monitor. And besides how do they know if you even completed the training? It's your word against theirs?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 04:17:54 PM »
Anthony, it takes a long time to format 110 pages for printing.

Anthony, I trust you if you say that you're qualified.  Anyway, I'm sure people were snoozing when I showed the same power point presentation in the classroom during the hands on training.  Same, same.

Call me and I'll take my cell phone out to my gauge, you go to yours.  We'll describe what we see and talk through it. 

It gives CoCoRaHS (and its data) credibility to say that all precipitation observers are trained and use the same gauge.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
I'll try printing the darn thing in batches of 10 pages at a time. It looks like now it will be tuesday befor I will get my guage up.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

anything