Author Topic: Upgrade from Wizard III to VP2  (Read 1827 times)

Offline jaxbill

Upgrade from Wizard III to VP2
« on: May 01, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
Hello,

I am preparing to upgrade from a Davis Weather Wizard III that came with my house to a new VP2.  I've been assuming I would just install the new system in a similar location and have attached some photos.

1.  Is the extra height for the anemometer really worth it?  I think this is nearly 25-30 feet in the air and I'm concerned about being able to safely reach it for the installation and future maintenance.  I'm not comfortable putting a ladder on the roof to reach the top of the chimney.  Can I install it below the TV antenna?

2.  The current temperature sensor is underneath the eave.  Should I mount the ISS on the pole above/below the roof line?

I am also weighing the effort to take the current mast down and replace it with a telescoping one.  I already need to replace the mounting brackets for better security prior to hurricane season.  It's not set in concrete.

I assume I'll just remove the rigged platform for the rain sensor. 

Thanks in advance.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Edit - I've considered finding a new location altogether but am afraid I can't get around the HOA rules where I live.  The only place I could get away with it would be around significant tree cover.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 09:02:03 AM by jaxbill »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Upgrade from Wizard III to VP2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 09:52:39 AM »
I would consider a Telepole  http://www.tele-pole.com/  type mast for safety but not sure about budget and you mentioned home owner restrictions so that would be your responsibility.   

Good siting location is important, this includes rain gauge being properly located and leveled correctly along with temperature sensor location. I would recommend the fan aspirated shield. Scaled Instruments located in Florida has fair prices on Davis stations.

Check the CWOP siting guide and see where you can improve sensor placement. Under the eave is not acceptable for accurate data.  http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP-Siting.pdf
Randy

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »
I like the siting of the anemometer. The rain bucket and the thermometer installation are in very poor locations.

Offline jaxbill

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 10:42:09 AM »
Thanks guys. 

I can replace the existing mast with a new one without any HOA issues.  I will check that brand out. 

The rain bucket will go away as I would remove the entire Wizard III system. 

It sounds like that if I mount my anemometer to the mast that connects to the chimney, I will have to compromise by locating the ISS very close to the house either on the mast or hanging off the eave.  I guess I could connect the anemometer wirelessly and locate the ISS elsewhere on a new post. 

This is getting expensive :-)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 11:30:55 AM »
The wireless anemometer is a nice way to go, then just mount main station on sturdy post in yard.

If back yard is fenced in with limited airflow, its better to mount shield higher if possible with galvanized fencing post.  6-7' above ground with 1 1/2'- 2 ' post cemented with bag of ready mix.  The larger diameter pipe the sturdier and less vibration.

Problem I ran into longer sturdy post needed bigger U-bolts and they were a pain finding correct bolts that would fit both post and ISS mount.
The supplied U-bolts outside diameter only fit 1 1/4" to 1 3/4" and IMO this size pipe is too short and vibrates with wind causing false tips on rain gauge.
Larger U-bolts (not supplied) can be used to mount to a pole with a maximum
outside diameter of 2 1/2".
Maybe you have access to hardware I didn't but giving heads up use the larger diameter and longer post if possible.

Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
It sounds like that if I mount my anemometer to the mast that connects to the chimney, I will have to compromise by locating the ISS very close to the house either on the mast or hanging off the eave.  I guess I could connect the anemometer wirelessly and locate the ISS elsewhere on a new post. 

This is getting expensive :-)
Yeah, like the others said, you really need to try to get the ISS away from the house if you want good data. Wireless is by far the easier route, then you can put the anny back on the roof (or wherever), and put the ISS hopefully somewhere acceptable in the yard.

Offline jaxbill

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »
Ok, I've done some reading on the wireless transmitter and that seems pretty reasonable to get the ISS away from the house.

This only leaves the 30 foot mast as the outstanding issue for me.  Standing outside looking up today it occurred to me that the mast is to the left on the chimney and quite a distance above it.  It's not the best position to work from (for me).

I already own an extension ladder that should be tall enough.  Maybe I will move the entire mast to the center of chimney for safer access.

Could I mount the anemometer to the trim on the chimney itself?  I think I saw braces to raise it up high enough.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 06:34:51 PM »
Could I mount the anemometer to the trim on the chimney itself?  I think I saw braces to raise it up high enough.
Sure. If you do put it on the chimney, try to get it at least 5' or so above the roof line or you may get "roof effect".

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »
BTW, if you're unfamiliar, don't sweat pointing the vane exactly right if you find it difficult, you can correct the direction to however you want on the console. Very handy if needed.

Offline jaxbill

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 06:41:40 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I don't see fences addressed in the PDF for ISS placement.  Can I attach the ISS to a wooden fence post? Assume no tree cover or anything to block the rain.

Edit - this would be over grass and the fence is shadow box so it's not even solid.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:58:26 PM by jaxbill »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 07:18:34 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I don't see fences addressed in the PDF for ISS placement.  Can I attach the ISS to a wooden fence post? Assume no tree cover or anything to block the rain.

Edit - this would be over grass and the fence is shadow box so it's not even solid.
A wood fence post is excellent. The only trouble you might have is if the post tends to shimmy in higher winds you may experience some false tips from the rain gauge (if so, a manual gauge can be used for greater accuracy). That being said, just about anything is better sited for the ISS than what you currently have.

Offline jaxbill

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »

A wood fence post is excellent. The only trouble you might have is if the post tends to shimmy in higher winds you may experience some false tips from the rain gauge (if so, a manual gauge can be used for greater accuracy). That being said, just about anything is better sited for the ISS than what you currently have.

Yep, my Wizard III barely works.  The rain gauge does not work at all and I rarely get wind readings.  To make matters worse, the previous homeowner did not ground anything (including the TV antenna) not to mention the Wizard is hard wired to the console inside my house.  It all needs to go.

I'm searching (and searching) for a better chimney mounting solution for the anemometer and TV antenna.  I've decided it has to move to the center of the back side of the chimney so I can reach it with a ladder.  When I do that, I'm going to end up with only one solid mount point for the mast until it hits the ground.  That stucco is not real stucco.  It's only synthetic EIFS over wood and who knows how the chimney is framed out.

I saw a wrap around mounting kit but that's going to be hard to install.  I would need to put a ladder on the roof to reach the front side and will end up needing my helper to also get up on the ladder instead of waiting on the ground to call 911 if I fall. :-)

I guess I need to find a lightweight mast and eliminate the TV antenna so I can get away with only one mount point on the wood frame of the chimney.  That anemometer can't be that heavy.  It's just everything I do needs to be hurricane resistant.   

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »

I guess I need to find a lightweight mast and eliminate the TV antenna so I can get away with only one mount point on the wood frame of the chimney.  That anemometer can't be that heavy.  It's just everything I do needs to be hurricane resistant.
Removing the antenna is obviously your call, but the anemometer weighs mere ounces and wind resistance (drag) is nonexistent compared to the pole itself, your house would blow away first. Don't over think it.

Offline jaxbill

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »

Removing the antenna is obviously your call, but the anemometer weighs mere ounces and wind resistance (drag) is nonexistent compared to the pole itself, your house would blow away first. Don't over think it.

Yeah, I might mount the antenna elsewhere.  After going outside and staring at the chimney for awhile, it looks like that mast is two pieces and the mounts are rusted too.  I hope the guy didn't use JB Weld to assemble two 15' pieces.  I'll get out the big extension ladder next week to verify the accessibility and decide from there.

Thanks everyone.  I think I have my head wrapped around the options now. 

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 03:53:55 PM »
In an earlier reply in this thread, mention was made regarding the u-bolts not being long enough. A very easy solution to this is to get yourself some all-thread (threaded rod) from your local Home Depot, Lowes, Menard's or similar home supply outfit. It comes in various lengths and in diameters from 1/8" to 1/2" or larger. Just cut it to the length desired and bend it into a u-shape, add appropriate nuts and washers and you're ready to go with a custom-built fastener.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline jaxbill

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »
In an earlier reply in this thread, mention was made regarding the u-bolts not being long enough. A very easy solution to this is to get yourself some all-thread (threaded rod) from your local Home Depot, Lowes, Menard's or similar home supply outfit. It comes in various lengths and in diameters from 1/8" to 1/2" or larger. Just cut it to the length desired and bend it into a u-shape, add appropriate nuts and washers and you're ready to go with a custom-built fastener.

Thanks for the tip.  I also think I found a low cost way to mount the anemometer to the chimney.  I found 38" or 40" J-poles, which should give me enough clearance above the chimney and peak of the roof.  Some are meant for an angled mount surface but I think I saw one that will mount through my top chimney trim.

anything