Author Topic: Help A New Guy  (Read 7757 times)

Offline TexasPatriot

Help A New Guy
« on: April 24, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »
Ok guys, I need some advice.  I have been a spotter for about a year now and have only recently entertained the idea of getting a PWS.  Needless to say, its a bit overwhelming when you first start looking at all this.  I need recommendations for a good budget PWS, here are the ideal criteria:

- All-in-one unit
- Weather Underground connected
- WIFI
- Lightning sensor
- Fast updates for wind measurements (<=10s ideally)

Budget is $200-250, but I can stretch to $300 if you show me something I really like (my birthday is next month  :grin:).  I don't care about having a console (might be ideal to not have another item on my desk, and if there is an app for my iPad even better (WunderStation?)), and I am not opposed to buying a sensor, bridge, and piecing it together myself if thats the best option.

Here are the models I've been looking at so far, but not sure any of them fit all the criteria:

- Acurite Pro 5-1 (lightning?)
- Ambient WS-1001 w/lightning detector
- Lacrosse 330-2315 (no lightning option I believe)
- Davis Vantage Vue (WU connectivity?  Lightning?)

I have heard about the new Acurite Atlas 7/8 and Elite, but it seems they may not hit the market until next summer... not sure I want to wait that long.  So, what do you think?  Is it possible?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:24:32 PM by TexasPatriot »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Help A New Guy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »
Hi Jason,
maybe this?

http://www.scientificsales.com/La-Crosse-328-2314-Professional-Weather-Station-p/328-2314.htm

But you have very specific requirements so I think it will be very hard to find such station. FIrst, only VERY few stations have built-in lightning detector, this eliminates about 95 or even more percent of stations from your options and people usually have this separately (I also think it is then more accurate).

Next - wifi - this is also relatively uncommon, you usually connect it to either a PC or via a device such as meteobridge.

Lastly, for what you want, your budget is very low.

But maybe someone will have a better idea.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:34:29 PM »
And personally - I would reconsider all-in-ones, if you look at how various weather parameters are supposed to be measured you will understand why all professional stations are never all-in-one. Some will tell you that its ok, but I think an all-in-one will never be as good as a unit with separate wind and thermometer sensor.

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:35:15 PM »
Hi Jason,
maybe this?

http://www.scientificsales.com/La-Crosse-328-2314-Professional-Weather-Station-p/328-2314.htm

But you have very specific requirements so I think it will be very hard to find such station. FIrst, only VERY few stations have built-in lightning detector, this eliminates about 95 or even more percent of stations from your options and people usually have this separately (I also think it is then more accurate).

Next - wifi - this is also relatively uncommon, you usually connect it to either a PC or via a device such as meteobridge.

Lastly, for what you want, your budget is very low.

But maybe someone will have a better idea.

I am absolutely fine with having a separate lightning detector, just considerations for the overall system I guess.  I see how my original post was misleading in that aspect, my apologies.  I would prefer to not have to connect the system to my laptop, as I sometimes travel for work and take it with me, but I would like the weather data to still upload to WU.

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 04:36:17 PM »
And personally - I would reconsider all-in-ones, if you look at how various weather parameters are supposed to be measured you will understand why all professional stations are never all-in-one. Some will tell you that its ok, but I think an all-in-one will never be as good as a unit with separate wind and thermometer sensor.

Fair enough.  Again, I am new to this aspect.  How would one go about getting the components to "talk" to a hub of sorts and then to WU then?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 04:39:27 PM »
OK, in that case, in my opinion a possible setup would be:

- PWS with the sensors (all-in-one or separate)
- a device such as Meteobridge - allows you to connect your station to dozens of weather networks including your own server or WU and works over wifi
- a lightning detector (eg. Blitzortung)

If you have the lightning detector separate then the number of possible stations is very large and in the price range you specified I dont think there will be major differences between them.

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
OK, in that case, in my opinion a possible setup would be:

- PWS with the sensors (all-in-one or separate)
- a device such as Meteobridge - allows you to connect your station to dozens of weather networks including your own server or WU and works over wifi
- a lightning detector (eg. Blitzortung)

If you have the lightning detector separate then the number of possible stations is very large and in the price range you specified I dont think there will be major differences between them.

Care to help me out with specific models?  From what I've seen, some basic AIO models can be from $100-200, mid range from $200-400, prosumer $400+.  But going the separate components route may be a better option, but I have no idea where to even start with that!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
I will probably let someone else to help you with this because I myself have one of the cheapest stations available which cost me 80 dollars. Though it has been working for over 6 years now flawlessly and in combination with Meteobridge sends data to several networks and most importantly to my webpage and template.

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »
Ok, so something like this:

Sensor Suite - Davis VantageVue (6250) - $165 on Amazon
Lightning Detector - AcuRite 6045M - $20 on Amazon
Meteobridge - $40

Total System - $225

And that'll work together and I can broadcast the data to WU?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »
Hmmm, those prices seem quite low, Im 99% sure that eg. Meteobridge is at least 70 or 80 and Vue is also much more, this is probably some very long used model. I dont know Davis that well, but you might also need some logger, not sure

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
I assume that's the ISS only, not with a console?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 06:41:16 PM »
you might also need some logger, not sure
If he wants his data online, he will, and he'll need a console or Envoy too boot.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 06:49:19 PM »
Just checked, Meteobridge (only license, not the HW) is 65 euros, which is something like 70 USD

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 07:32:31 PM »

I see $300 plus or minus on Amazon for a complete VUE ISS/Console. I saw an ISS-only for $169.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 07:53:40 PM »

I see $300 plus or minus on Amazon for a complete VUE ISS/Console. I saw an ISS-only for $169.

Greg H.
Same here, and that's without the considerable added expensive to post online.

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »
Thats correct, I was looking at the ISS only.  TBH, I'm not a fan of the Vue console and honestly would rather use my tablet and an app like WunderStation, unless I am missing some big advantage of the console.

I didn't realize the Meteobridge had a licensing cost on top of the HW.  I saw a wiki post that the HW was ~$40 and the SW was open source.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »
No, it is a commercial product, but well worth it

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 08:35:39 PM »
No, it is a commercial product, but well worth it

Ok, so ~$40 for the HW and ~$70 for the license?  I'm still under $300 and can do everything I want, assuming that I can connect that lightning sensor to the Meteobridge...

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »
Thats correct, I was looking at the ISS only.  TBH, I'm not a fan of the Vue console and honestly would rather use my tablet and an app like WunderStation, unless I am missing some big advantage of the console.

I didn't realize the Meteobridge had a licensing cost on top of the HW.  I saw a wiki post that the HW was ~$40 and the SW was open source.

Then you would require an Envoy and the logger (USB, Serial or IP). The only meteobridge that can process the ISS data directly is the "Pro" Red model with the receiver built in. The MB Pro is stand-alone, but significantly more expensive.

The TPLink (et al), based MB model cannot do this by itself. It needs either a console or an Envoy. Avoid the Envoy 8x for your application.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 08:34:50 AM »

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 09:18:44 AM »
That meteostick is $278!  Nearly double the cost of the Davis ISS!  I'm starting to think this route isn't worth the hassle or cost.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »
It looks expensive, but it is mostly because you wanted Davis and for that you need the logger etc etc.

Example of my setup:

Fine Offset WH1080 (80USD)
Meteobridge License (70USD)
MR-3020 Router for Meteobridge (20USD)

Station is plugged in via USB directly to the MR-3020 which I flashed with meteobridge firmware. Meteobrdige now sends wirelessly over wifi data to WU, my own server/webpage, several other networks, I have remote access to it etc.

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 09:41:33 AM »
It looks expensive, but it is mostly because you wanted Davis and for that you need the logger etc etc.

Example of my setup:

Fine Offset WH1080 (80USD)
Meteobridge License (70USD)
MR-3020 Router for Meteobridge (20USD)

Station is plugged in via USB directly to the MR-3020 which I flashed with meteobridge firmware. Meteobrdige now sends wirelessly over wifi data to WU, my own server/webpage, several other networks, I have remote access to it etc.

Ahhhhhh... ok.  So what other ISS has "rapid fire" updating that doesn't require a separate logger, etc etc?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »
You can set meteobridge to update as often as possible, I can send data to WU every 10s if I wanted to, I dont do it because of the load it would put on my connection but I could

Offline TexasPatriot

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 10:14:26 AM »
So... why wouldn't I just go with something like this then:

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html

Is this really what I'm looking for?  Can I add a lightning sensor to this setup?