Author Topic: Can a David Vantage Vue transmit to a Vantage Pro console?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline BruceWA

Can a David Vantage Vue transmit to a Vantage Pro console?
« on: April 18, 2017, 07:20:50 PM »
Hey all.  I am pretty new here.  Set up my Vantage Vue (replaced a La Crosse) and all is good.  Added a data-logger by Uksa007, run it to my Linux box/WeeWx and upload to WU and PWS.
Here's the rub, I am hardwired to my Linux box.  That means the Vantage Vue console is near it.  My family misses having a console in the kitchen!
I found an old Vantage PRO console, Product #6310, Model #6160, and tried to set it up.  It is not receiving any signal; an "R" in the bottom right corner that changes to an "L" after a few minutes.
Is the Vantage PRO console non-operational or does it work over a different frequency?
Any help is appreciated.
If the console is good (meaning a freq issue) I will be selling it at an offer.
Thanks,
Bruce [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Can a David Vantage Vue transmit to a Vantage Pro console?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »
Your VP1 console will not be able to receive the Vue signal, different freq. A VP2 console however will.

Offline BruceWA

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 07:31:50 PM »
As I was afraid of.
Appreciate the reply.
R/
Bruce

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 07:34:42 PM »
A new console isn't too expensive. I have a Vue and VP2, as do many others here.

Offline BruceWA

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
I know, more me being frugal!
Just posted the older console for sale.  Hope someone can make good use of it.  Better yet, offer me a trade!
Appreciate the follow up.
Bruce

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 08:14:38 PM »
I know, more me being frugal!
Just posted the older console for sale.  Hope someone can make good use of it.  Better yet, offer me a trade!
Appreciate the follow up.
Bruce
VP1's are becoming a fairly rare find now, at least 12ish+ years old, and finding someone who wants it more than a few bucks will be tough. A swap is very unlikely.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:02:03 PM »
You do have another option that's a bit cheaper than another console. Get a meteobridge. If you choose to buy the TL-MR3020 on amazon for about $38. Upgrade the firmware yourself with meteobriodge about $72 and you have everything you need to update WU and PWS. Put the meteobridge (very small) and console in your kitchen connected via WiFi to your network. That's $110 vs. $150 for the console. I know it's only a $40 savings but it's forty bucks.

The other option is get an old tablet and leave it on WU in the kitchen.
Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline BruceWA

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.
Originally, I was setting up an XBee USB extender.  Had it mocked-up and working.  Uksa007 and I were emailing back and forth and he advised that I would need separate power as none is passed though the logger.
Still thinking of revisiting the general concept.  Adding a board with 3.3v is not hard.  Just time and patience.  If I ever get it done, I will post the results and drawing for everyone.

R/

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »
Originally, I was setting up an XBee USB extender.  Had it mocked-up and working.  Uksa007 and I were emailing back and forth and he advised that I would need separate power as none is passed though the logger.
Still thinking of revisiting the general concept.  Adding a board with 3.3v is not hard.  Just time and patience.  If I ever get it done, I will post the results and drawing for everyone.

R/

That's good. I'm a big fan of the XBee products. I use them a lot in my drones. One other point I'll make. Over the years, I have found that relying on the computer to do the reporting has been somewhat problematic. I work in IT and am often adding programs, changing things or fiddling with my computer in general. This creates outages in the reporting of the data. There have been times when something didn't start quite right after a power outage and days go by with no reporting before I'm able to get to the computer to restart it. I travel quite a bit for my job. The meteobridge hopefully will alleviate all of these issues for me. I say hopefully, because I just started using them a few weeks ago but, now have 3 of them.

Good luck with the USB extender. Your power challenge is easily overcome.

Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 02:43:55 PM »

R/
I already have a board that passes 3.3V to an Xbee footprint via the logger PCB, is this the sort of thing that you're looking for?