Author Topic: Having UV/Solar and the $$  (Read 975 times)

Offline btw-nc

Having UV/Solar and the $$
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
I'm thinking of upgrading to a Davis VP2.  The question I have is, does the VP2 Plus merit the added expenditure for someone like myself who doesn't live and breathe weather?  My little Ambient 1400 has it, but I'm not sure how valuable the data is for someone who isn't a farmer, etc.
Davis 6153 24HR FARS, in service 18MAR2017

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Having UV/Solar and the $$
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
I bought a VP2 without the solar and UV sensors.  2 years later, I added them.  Personally, I do like having them.  With Cumulux, I'm able to see sunshine hours, which is nice when you live in the tundra of the US like me.

It would have been cheaper for me to add them at the get go.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:11:54 PM »
Well, if you're a person that goes "...I should'a...."  then go for the VP2+.  But, if to save some money the most useful (in my opinion) of the two sensors, and also the least expensive by a couple of hundred $$$, is the solar sensor.  But, as 92merc stated, it's much cheaper to buy the VP2+ rather than to later purchase the two sensors.  I'm in the same boat as 92merc...I bought the sensors later, too. #-o  But, I've been happy with them. :grin:

ETA...  After thinking about it for a minute, I really could have done without the UV sensor.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline btw-nc

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »
As someone who has had melanoma, I wonder if I could write off the cost of a VP2+ on my taxes  \:D/
Davis 6153 24HR FARS, in service 18MAR2017

anything