Author Topic: Oklahoma Gets Another 5.0 or Stronger Earthquake  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Oklahoma Gets Another 5.0 or Stronger Earthquake
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:47:52 PM »
I definitely felt it here, about 23 miles from the center.  It lasted as least 10-15 seconds.  Being not as strong or as long lasting, it didn't scare me nearly as much as the 5.8 one did in early September.  That one felt like the earth had hit a mighty rough stretch of orbital road.   5.0 or worse earthquakes are getting too close to Stillwater for comfort.  Hopefully, the massive oil tanks by Cushing are still okay.  But some damage said to be done to some of the historic buildings in downtown Cushing.

Since this earthquake didn't happen at a time when most people slept through it, social media is getting much response.

http://www.newson6.com/story/33643549/earthquake-centered-in-payne-county-rattles-oklahoma

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us100075y8#executive

http://stillwaterweather.com/okareaearthquakes.php
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 10:11:53 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Oklahoma Gets Another 5.0 or Stronger Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 11:15:31 PM »
as I said on another thread,   plate shifting or fracking?

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 12:00:21 AM »
as I said on another thread,   plate shifting or fracking?

It's what comes after fracking.  It's the waste water injection wells.  Water is finding its way to ancient faults and causing slippage.

Schools will be closed in Cushing tomorrow to check for gas leaks and structural damage.  Here's a comment from a Cushing resident about the 5.0 earthquake:

"I live in Cushing and I was driving home when the earthquake hit. I could feel my car shaking and all of the power went out around me. It was a very odd feeling.

We didn't have that much damage personally, a few broken pictures and a new crack in our drywall. Some of our family had broken windows and light fixtures. A block over, there was a house that had their entire porch collapse. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard there is extensive damage to the older buildings downtown. They've had it shut down for hours now.

Hopefully no one got injured. It's definitely an interesting time to live in Oklahoma."

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:00:30 AM »
The 'Dust Bowl' was a figurative description, but I'm wondering if Quakelahoma is becoming a literal bowl.  Or maybe a hump. Have there been elevation changes recorded?

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »
After close to 100 years of pumping old out of the ground there it should be more of an subsidence then elvated. Looking at picture all those unenforceable brick building I have to ask what is being done to prevent there collapse or is Ok. waiting for people to be killed before they update and enforce new building codes. It was small quakes like what you are getting that woke up Seattle and Portland that those old historic building are an hazard.
John

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »
After close to 100 years of pumping old out of the ground there it should be more of an subsidence then elvated. Looking at picture all those unenforceable brick building I have to ask what is being done to prevent there collapse or is Ok. waiting for people to be killed before they update and enforce new building codes. It was small quakes like what you are getting that woke up Seattle and Portland that those old historic building are an hazard.
John
Very good point.
After all the shaking some of those buildings have to be weakened.
But then again I'm sure the regional building inspectors have been busy making sure
that they are safe.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 01:19:15 AM »
Really, folks, I wish a bunch more Oklahoma legislators would speak out on these earthquakes. Earthquakes are less frequent since Spring, but the trade off is they are getting stronger. Rep Morrissette and my own Rep. Cory Williams are possibly the only two Oklahona legislators, who see fit to speak out after the 5.0 earthquake hit Cushing on Tues. night. Williams has been calling for a moratorium on waste water injection wells for quite some time, yet didn't draw any opponents for reelection, even though energy is a fairly important industry in his district. Here are his thoughts on the earthquakes:

Impose Moratorium on Saltwater Disposal in Seismically Active Areas,
Ban Wastewater from Other States, Stillwater Lawmaker Recommends

OKLAHOMA CITY (7 November 2016) – A Payne County legislator called again Monday for a moratorium on all saltwater disposal wells in the multicounty “seismic risk zone” identified by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC).

“Once again I urge the Corporation Commission to impose a moratorium on wastewater injection in disposal wells in Payne, Pawnee, Kay, Noble, Grant, Logan, Oklahoma, and the several other counties that are in the seismically active ‘area of interest’ outlined by the commission,” said Rep. Cory Williams.

The Stillwater Democrat issued his comments in the wake of a magnitude-5.0 earthquake Sunday evening that damaged perhaps four dozen structures in Cushing, site of one of the world’s oil storage hubs where nearby tank farms held 58.5 million barrels of crude oil less than two weeks ago.

Besides the Cushing earthquake, a magnitude-3.7 earthquake was logged Saturday near Pawnee, a 3.1 tremor occurred Sunday afternoon near Perry, and a 2.9 ’quake was reported Monday morning at Nicoma Park. A magnitude-4.3 earthquake was recorded at Luther on Aug. 17, and the state-record magnitude-5.8 temblor occurred at Pawnee on Sept. 3.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently recommended that Oklahoma oil and gas regulators “consider a moratorium” on oilfield waste disposal in those areas of the state that have been rattled by earthquakes, because volume reductions alone haven’t stopped the swarm of earthquakes plaguing the state.

The EPA recommended the OCC consider a moratorium on injection into the Arbuckle Formation “in high seismically active focus areas,” the federal agency wrote Sept. 22 in its annual review of the Corporation Commission’s regulation of wastewater wells. More than 6.3 billion barrels (265 billion gallons) of oilpatch saltwater have been injected into Oklahoma disposal wells in the last five years, OCC ledgers show.

Even with the price of oil down in the $40/barrel range, nearly a million barrels of oilfield wastewater are being pumped into injection wells in Oklahoma each day, an Oklahoma Oil and Gas Association executive reported during an interim legislative study Oct. 25 at the State Capitol.

“We need to do more than just pray for divine assistance,” said Williams. “The Good Lord has given us His guidance, but the people who run this state apparently aren’t paying attention.”

Numerous scientific studies “have told us that what we’re doing in this state is extremely dangerous,” Williams said. “We are willfully ignoring the evidence. The peer-reviewed research says that high-volume, high-pressure injection is causing these earthquakes.”

During the legislative study at the Capitol last month, Oklahoma State University professor/hydrogeologist Todd Halihan said the evidence that disposal wells are triggering earthquakes in Oklahoma is “clear and convincing,” contrary to what skeptics claim.

Williams also recommended that the Corporation Commission ban the importation of oilfield wastewater from other states. Last year, 2.44 million barrels (102 million gallons) of oilfield wastewater from Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico were injected into commercial disposal wells in Oklahoma, OCC records reflect.

“We are making Oklahoma a toxic dumping ground and risking our lives and property from induced seismicity,” Williams said.

“And don’t bother telling me that the federal Interstate Commerce Clause prohibits Oklahoma from importing wastewater from other states,” he said. “The government’s own records indicate that wastewater from five other states is being imported into Oklahoma, but nobody is exporting Oklahoma wastewater to any of those other states,” Williams said.

“If we had done this four years ago, as I originally called for, we would not be staring down the barrel of ever-increasing magnitudes of seismicity – two 5.0 or greater earthquakes in 60 days.”

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »
Really, folks, I wish a bunch more Oklahoma legislators would speak out on these earthquakes. Earthquakes are less frequent since Spring, but the trade off is they are getting stronger. Rep Morrissette and my own Rep. Cory Williams are possibly the only two Oklahona legislators, who see fit to speak out after the 5.0 earthquake hit Cushing on Tues. night. Williams has been calling for a moratorium on waste water injection wells for quite some time, yet didn't draw any opponents for reelection, even though energy is a fairly important industry in his district. Here are his thoughts on the earthquakes:

Impose Moratorium on Saltwater Disposal in Seismically Active Areas,
Ban Wastewater from Other States, Stillwater Lawmaker Recommends

OKLAHOMA CITY (7 November 2016) – A Payne County legislator called again Monday for a moratorium on all saltwater disposal wells in the multicounty “seismic risk zone” identified by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC).

“Once again I urge the Corporation Commission to impose a moratorium on wastewater injection in disposal wells in Payne, Pawnee, Kay, Noble, Grant, Logan, Oklahoma, and the several other counties that are in the seismically active ‘area of interest’ outlined by the commission,” said Rep. Cory Williams.

The Stillwater Democrat issued his comments in the wake of a magnitude-5.0 earthquake Sunday evening that damaged perhaps four dozen structures in Cushing, site of one of the world’s oil storage hubs where nearby tank farms held 58.5 million barrels of crude oil less than two weeks ago.

Besides the Cushing earthquake, a magnitude-3.7 earthquake was logged Saturday near Pawnee, a 3.1 tremor occurred Sunday afternoon near Perry, and a 2.9 ’quake was reported Monday morning at Nicoma Park. A magnitude-4.3 earthquake was recorded at Luther on Aug. 17, and the state-record magnitude-5.8 temblor occurred at Pawnee on Sept. 3.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently recommended that Oklahoma oil and gas regulators “consider a moratorium” on oilfield waste disposal in those areas of the state that have been rattled by earthquakes, because volume reductions alone haven’t stopped the swarm of earthquakes plaguing the state.

The EPA recommended the OCC consider a moratorium on injection into the Arbuckle Formation “in high seismically active focus areas,” the federal agency wrote Sept. 22 in its annual review of the Corporation Commission’s regulation of wastewater wells. More than 6.3 billion barrels (265 billion gallons) of oilpatch saltwater have been injected into Oklahoma disposal wells in the last five years, OCC ledgers show.

Even with the price of oil down in the $40/barrel range, nearly a million barrels of oilfield wastewater are being pumped into injection wells in Oklahoma each day, an Oklahoma Oil and Gas Association executive reported during an interim legislative study Oct. 25 at the State Capitol.

“We need to do more than just pray for divine assistance,” said Williams. “The Good Lord has given us His guidance, but the people who run this state apparently aren’t paying attention.”

Numerous scientific studies “have told us that what we’re doing in this state is extremely dangerous,” Williams said. “We are willfully ignoring the evidence. The peer-reviewed research says that high-volume, high-pressure injection is causing these earthquakes.”

During the legislative study at the Capitol last month, Oklahoma State University professor/hydrogeologist Todd Halihan said the evidence that disposal wells are triggering earthquakes in Oklahoma is “clear and convincing,” contrary to what skeptics claim.

Williams also recommended that the Corporation Commission ban the importation of oilfield wastewater from other states. Last year, 2.44 million barrels (102 million gallons) of oilfield wastewater from Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico were injected into commercial disposal wells in Oklahoma, OCC records reflect.

“We are making Oklahoma a toxic dumping ground and risking our lives and property from induced seismicity,” Williams said.

“And don’t bother telling me that the federal Interstate Commerce Clause prohibits Oklahoma from importing wastewater from other states,” he said. “The government’s own records indicate that wastewater from five other states is being imported into Oklahoma, but nobody is exporting Oklahoma wastewater to any of those other states,” Williams said.

“If we had done this four years ago, as I originally called for, we would not be staring down the barrel of ever-increasing magnitudes of seismicity – two 5.0 or greater earthquakes in 60 days.”

Warning - I'm going to go political here.

What did you expect?  The Oklahoma legislative body is made up mainly of Republicans.  Those people get a lot of money from Oil and Gas.  The Democrats do too.  Alot of them aren't afraid to speak up about it, but not enough.

Let's also remember this is a state where the Governor, just last month, issued a proclamation to have a 'Day of Prayer' for the Oil and Gas industry.   Really?

Let's also not forget our senior US Senator (Inhofe) used the stunt of bringing a snowball into the Senate chamber to 'try' and make his point that climate change/global warming/whatever you wish to call it isn't happening.

How about one for kids not starving.

I'll be glad when Governor Failin' is gone.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 08:56:12 AM »
^^  I was going to say that 'greased palms' has a whole 'nother meaning in OKC.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »
A prayer day to ask God to stop the earthquakes would have been more appropriate.

Here is an article on what Cushing's outgoing state rep thinks.  She calls the earthquake a game changer, but unlike Rep. Williams offers no solutions to the problem.  For now, I guess Oklahomans will have to hope the strongest earthquakes will take place in the country will out in the middle of nowhere where the deer and buffalo roam.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagelatest/state-rep-lee-denney-cushing-s-historic-downtown-decimated-future/article_a59cec40-7607-5022-9b59-7348993d47a4.html

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 05:31:30 PM »
Sure sound like can't see the forest because of the trees. Like you I hope any real bad ones be out in the middle of some farm land.

Had uncle in 06 go thru the San Francisco quake. The picture that struck me the most was the pile of bricks he was standing on that once was an building.

John

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 05:33:10 PM »
I've never seen a herd of Buffalo spooked into a stampede, but I imagine it would feel a loot like a quake.

Momma Nature is tired of folks out there shoving trash under her skin.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »
Ultimately, who, or what commission, or other entity has the final say on whether or not this practice can continue.?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 11:44:46 PM »
Ultimately, who, or what commission, or other entity has the final say on whether or not this practice can continue.?

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission for now.  However, their policy is to react to the earthquakes and not act to take preventive measures.   So an earthquake above a certain strength has to first take place before injection walls are shut down or reduced over a small area.

Anyway, I'm still afraid the earthquakes are going to have to prove themselves strong enough to start killing people in buildings that collapse before the state will order the shutdown of all or most waste water injection wells. This is because the Oklahoma Corporation Commission's policy is to react, not act to the earthquakes. It should act by taking preventive measures. Hopefully, it will be decided to do this soon. With the OSU campus worth billions and many people there at risk, you'd think the state would want to shut down all waste water injections wells around Stillwater. There is a known fault to the northwest of Stillwater and another one just to the southeast. A number of small quakes under 3.5 in magnitude have come from that area for the past several years. Why should people have to wait for the OCC to react until downtown Stillwater looks like downtown Cushing? A 5 to 6.0+ earthquake, since it would affect the entire campus would surely do more damage to OSU than the small 1975 tornado that went through the middle of campus.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 12:04:22 AM by Bunty »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 11:47:05 PM »
Worrisome here:   http://www.tulsaworld.com/earthquakes/oklahoma-s-trio-of-magnitude--quakes-this-year-is/article_38765045-2646-57f0-9b2b-e1e1ceaa9756.html

Here are the words of a local activist on the issue:

"Oklahoma is an amazing place. I wear my Stop Fracking Payne County T-shirt about every other week and have been for years now ever since we began agitating for the city ordinance. Usually nobody says much about the shirt but when I wear it immediately following another of these many big quakes THEN people want to talk about it. Then, week by week, most people go back to normal awareness and there is not much notice of it or concern about fracking and what happens next. So, what is the threshold level for when people say enough is enough. So far it seems people have not hit the ceiling enough on this issue but the ceiling may be coming down to meet them before much longer. Stay with it and keep demanding of ALL officials (city, county, state) to end the madness. "They underestimate the persistence of our Red Dirt Resistance!"---kel
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:54:10 PM by Bunty »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 01:11:51 AM »
After government at the State Capitol failed to do enough to act, at least Pawnee citizens are doing something by filing a class-action lawsuit. The people of Cushing ought to do the same. The oil companies need to be stopped before the earthquakes get strong enough to start killing people, assuming it's not too late. As frightening as experiencing the rapid shaking from that 5.8 earthquake near Pawnee was to me, I don't want such strong earthquakes to center any closer to my town, if it can be prevented.

Lawsuit filed over Pawnee earthquakes:  http://www.koco.com/article/lawsuit-filed-over-pawnee-earthquakes/8305497

Quote from story: "We have clients who don't allow their children to go upstairs because they're afraid the roof will fall in on them," said Curt Marshall, an attorney for the residents. "There's a lot of fear; when is the next big one?"

MORE:   http://kfor.com/2016/11/18/homeowners-tribe-file-lawsuits-over-earthquake-damage/
At least, I don't have any cracks like that inside my house.  I hope it keeps that way.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:25:45 AM by Bunty »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 08:11:12 AM »
The oil companies need to be stopped

That ain't a'gonna happen.

I'm more inclined to expect properties being condemned, forced buyouts, evacuations, relocations, etc. ala Love Canal and other places.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2016, 10:10:10 PM »
The oil companies need to be stopped

That ain't a'gonna happen.

I'm more inclined to expect properties being condemned, forced buyouts, evacuations, relocations, etc. ala Love Canal and other places.

That's an interesting way to look at it.  Hold the Feds responsible for taking care of damages. However, if it's decided by lawsuits to hold oil companies liable, then fracking and injection wells may be seen as too risky to do in Oklahoma.  So oil companies will move on to other states where earthquakes aren't a problem.  West Texas has been getting fracked, like heck, without it being associated with earthquakes as pictured below:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:24:12 PM by Bunty »

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2016, 03:51:20 PM »
I was startled by the sudden noise of another earthquake early Thursday morning.  I was surprised it was only 3.3 in magnitude, 8 miles northeast.  Earthquakes have been centered, coming from most directions within  20 miles of Stillwater since 2012.   Thankfully, they have stayed under 4.0 in magnitude, but it's a daily worry wondering if one day a 5.0 or worse will hit near or under city limits.  A few of those small earthquakes have actually centered under city limits.

In my opinion, one of the major reasons why Oklahoma doesn't do more to try to control the earthquakes is because the centers of the strongest ones have been happening too far away from the two biggest cities. So many, many thousands of people don't experience anywhere near the full, frightening and damaging effects. The hot spots for earthquakes closest to Oklahoma City, meaning the Langston, Guthrie and Edmond areas have settled down quite a bit. But if they come back alive worse than ever, like with a 5.0+, it will be interesting to see what the response will be like. Because the voices of a million plus people from the OKC area are going to be a hell of a lot more louder and annoying to state leaders than the several thousand or so people from tiny stricken areas, such as Fairview, Medford and Pawnee.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:53:06 PM by Bunty »

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 02:08:04 AM »
Earthquake are increasing day by day. Every day we see earthquake news on the televsion. Earthquake not only produce property damage but it also damage the lives. Some areas that are close to the sea coasts even get tsunami as a result of an earthquake. After every large earthquake, there are small after shocks. Today another earthquake is noticed in Turkey and its magnitude was 2.0.
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »
It was triggered by the Raiders and their fans moving to LA......

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:32 AM »
Four small earthquakes are recorded in Oklahoma during the last weekend. The largest was a magnitude 3.2 but it is a good news that no damage was reported. Geologists say earthquakes of magnitude 2.5 to 3.0 are general the smallest that are felt by humans and damage is not likely in earthquakes below magnitude 4.0. But the depth of the earthquake center depends on the amount of damage that is produced.
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA