Author Topic: Wundermap changes?  (Read 25532 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Wundermap changes?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
1. When in wundermap-it says I am signed in-but I am not.
2. the map they are using goes back at least two years. Maybe three. The development where the new house is shows  the old school has not been bulldozed. My old house still has a swingset. It has been at least two years since we got rid of that.
3. Can't zoom in as far
4. I have not been able to look up anything by address. Used to be able to.
5. Can't put a place marker on my exact location

6. As my dad always said-and I repeat many times, "Why in the hell can't you just leave well enough alone!"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 03:58:08 PM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 04:23:56 PM »
David read my posts above and you will understand why the map behaves differently and why they changed it

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »
David read my posts above and you will understand why the map behaves differently and why they changed it

Yup.  Still looks like crap. And is inferior to what it was before.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 04:45:09 PM »
Yes you are absolutely right and that is why when I was asked not to use Google Maps API any more since they now require a key (which is free, but you must have a Google account), I said I will not since there is no decent alternative.
In case of WU the problem is different since the daily quota is not enough so they would have to pay now.
They had to make a decision - pay or use a different, as you said inferior, solution, but free.
They made the decision...

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »
I just looked at my farm. That map has to go back to at least 2012. I can tell becuase of the position of the farm equiptment. We sold everything in 2013.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline NYJason

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2016, 05:40:58 PM »
WU might not have a feedback section anymore, but they are on Twitter.  Twitter is a great way to publicly let Weather Underground know what you think about their "changes" .
Twitter handle @wunderground

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »
The radar is a joke now. You can't do half of what you could do before. Not even storm tracks.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »
Google     1 : 0      Open Street Map

Though I must say that to large extent it is also poorly programmed, for example the zooming feature using mousewheel is supported by OSM as well, just that they probably didn't include it in the code. Most of the stuff probably could be replicated and brought to similar state as it was when using Google, however, one thing that cannot be overcome is how up-to-date the maps are and again, no matter how much you like or dislike Google, one has to admit they have no competitor as far as map coverage goes.

Offline Johnmac

• Senior Contributor
    • Westminster Massachusetts Weather
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
Ahh.. IBM owns The Weather Company, LLC, which in turn owns The Weather Channel (weather.com), Wunderground (wunderground.com) AND Intellecast (intellicast.com).  The T&Cs for all three sites are pretty much the same -- no reuse, no redistribution of data or images on our sites.

However, Wunderground has allowed us fair use for data/images while we contribute weather data to their network.  Not so with weather.com, intellicast.com or accuweather.com.

I may be wrong, but I thought the weather channel was owned by NBC and Comcast owns NBC.
John
Westminster, MA USA

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2016, 08:44:13 PM »
The radar is a joke now. You can't do half of what you could do before. Not even storm tracks.

The new WU Storm App has does have layers with Storm Tracks and fronts.  I don't see models but many features are available on the Mobile App.
You can actually Zoom in much more than the Wundermap and was able to see all three of my station at my location.  You can no longer do that with WUndermap.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2016, 08:49:28 PM »
Ahh.. IBM owns The Weather Company, LLC, which in turn owns The Weather Channel (weather.com), Wunderground (wunderground.com) AND Intellecast (intellicast.com).  The T&Cs for all three sites are pretty much the same -- no reuse, no redistribution of data or images on our sites.

However, Wunderground has allowed us fair use for data/images while we contribute weather data to their network.  Not so with weather.com, intellicast.com or accuweather.com.

I may be wrong, but I thought the weather channel was owned by NBC and Comcast owns NBC.

See this article.   IBM bought the digital and data rights from the Weather Company. 
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/10/29/ibm_buys_the_weather_channel_company_and_has_big_plans.html

The future of weather got a lot more interesting this week.

On Wednesday, IBM announced its purchase of the Weather Company’s digital and data assets, a deal that the Wall Street Journal valued at more than $2 billion. The company’s flagship TV network wasn’t included as part of the deal and will remain the property of a consortium of hedge funds that includes Bain Capital.
The Weather Company has sat on the auction block for a while now, and its digital assets were considered the crown jewel, including Weather Underground, weather.com (that bastion of glorious clickbait), and WSI, the company’s data-driven business-to-business arm that fits especially nicely with IBM’s cloud-based “Insight” initiative. So, yes, this deal gives new meaning to the phrase “cloud computing.” (I couldn’t resist.)
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline DaveNay

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »
On the plus side.....at least the animated radar is no longer slow and takes three minutes to load.

Offline robereno

• Descanso/Sherilton Valley Weather
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »
Well lets face it. How many people actually used Wundermaps. Other than myself and a few hobbyists on this site, I don't know of anyone that actually made use of it. Not much of a response even on these forums considering the fact that it has been gutted to uselessness.  For myself I liked it a lot and found it helpful when tracking the isolated thunderstorms that come through my valley. I'd be willing to look into a subscription service if anyone has some suggestions.

Offline spinjector

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »
Add me to the list of acute headsplosion victims over the Wundermap changes. Wth did they do?? I feel like I've gone deaf, blind, and stupid without it. Can't even save my own settings anymore, despite being a site member & logged in.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2016, 09:05:03 PM »
On facebook, I see they have been getting HAMMERED. No response from WU about anything when I looked earlier today.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2016, 09:20:32 PM »
Just got this popup on the Wundermap...

Something's Different...
You might have noticed some missing features as we work to make major infrastructure improvements on the WunderMap. We'll be hustling to make additional improvements and re-introduce products that are still in construction. We appreciate your patience during this time.

Offline spinjector

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2016, 10:05:35 PM »
Just saw this on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/wunderground/posts/10153763042886198...
From Wunderground Support:
Hello,
We had to change the base map for Wunderground and some of the layers aren’t loading properly. Functionality will be restored in stages as soon as possible. Apologies for the inconvenience!
We'll bring back storm tracks soon. In the meantime, they're still visible on the Nexrad radar. Search for a location on the main wunderground.com search and there is a Nexrad link on the top-right of the map.
Thank you,
William
Wunderground Support

Offline robereno

• Descanso/Sherilton Valley Weather
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
Good  to know. Now I  can  get back to complaining about it again.   :grin:

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2016, 04:35:45 AM »
I'm really fed up with WU. Did they not beta test these changes before releasing them? Clearly not. No reply to my email yesterday complaining about WunderMap centred on London and not my part of the world.

They'd be nothing without the tens of thousands of us who supply them with weather data and yet they treat us with contempt. No replies to my last 2 queries.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2016, 05:10:40 AM »
We had to change the base map

no they did not, they would have to, however, pay 30 dollars for additional 100k visits...

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »
Is anyone looking at an alternative to WU?

If so, what are you thinking of going to?

RodeoGeorge

Our family had WU open on a tablet or computer all the time. Lots of complaints about the "new & improved" version. We have switched to http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx.

It has some of the same functionality and with an Adblocker  the really annoying ads are mostly not an issue. You can save your location and return with the same settings in effect. BUT it will not show any personal weather stations.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2016, 04:14:24 PM »
I can live with the limitations (what do you want for free), but the most annoying manifestation I've seen is that every time my screen goes into powersaving mode the Wundermap window freezes and I have to refresh it, and reselect radar and reselect 50% opacity, etc., etc......
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:39:15 AM by ggsteve »

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2016, 07:59:59 PM »
Here is the latest.... work in progress  #-o

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »
Google maps would work until October, why they didn't fully develop this before publicly releasing it remains a mystery to me

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2016, 08:24:49 AM »
Google maps would work until October, why they didn't fully develop this before publicly releasing it remains a mystery to me

Because of $$$$. Why pay wages to a quality assurance staff when you can dump beta testing onto your customer base? The options for the users to go elsewhere are very limited and most of the alternatives are owned by the same company anyway!!!     :sad: