Author Topic: Rainwise.net down?  (Read 2932 times)

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Rainwise.net down?
« on: November 07, 2015, 07:25:30 AM »
My IP-100 can't connect to the Rainwise.net dashboard for the last 12+ hours.  This took out reporting to CWOP, AWEKAS, PWS, etc. and after I rebooted my IP-100 I am no longer updating WU either.  I checked Rainwise' own dashboard for their station in Trenton, ME and that is down too.  Anyone else having problems?

The error message (note that the last Tweet is from September):

NOTE: The RainwiseNet database is currently down for maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please do not reboot or power cycle your IP-100 or Telemet.

For updates on this outage please visit https://twitter.com/rainwisenet.

Offline hmueller

Re: Rainwise.net down?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 07:36:28 AM »
When I try to access rainwise.net to look at my station I see the same message now. It looks like they are down for a while.

--Harry

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »
This really sucks.  We are finally having some interesting weather (wind), and I'm not able to record any of it. ](*,)

I now clearly understand the advantage of a popular brand over a more esoteric weather station.  How long do you think Davis' Internet solution would be down before gangs of bloodthirsty amateur meteorologists would be descending on Hayward, California with scythes and pitchforks.  I'm not even sure if the good folks up in Bar Harbor are awake yet.

EDIT:  OK, my rant may have been premature.  It looks like my WU connection just came back and I can see my Rainwise dashbord, but that is all zeros. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:29:07 AM by ggsteve »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:31:32 AM »
My worry also, getting significant weather and the internet goes down. Happened all the time in Arizona but in Ne. I haven't had any issues since going with DSL+ line vs cable. 
Randy

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 09:56:02 AM »
My worry also, getting significant weather and the internet goes down. Happened all the time in Arizona but in Ne. I haven't had any issues since going with DSL+ line vs cable.

Yes, it looks like it may be time for me to bite the bullet and buy a receiver for a CC-2000 I got burnt on from Ebay (long story, but the receiver that came with it doesn't work but Paypal backed the seller when I requested a return).  At least with the CC-2000 I would have the data locally on my computer, and not be so dependent on the Internet, correct?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »

At least with the CC-2000 I would have the data locally on my computer, and not be so dependent on the Internet, correct?

So the Rainwise Mk III w/Oracle Multi & IP-100 doesn't have a console or anyway of reviewing conditions without the internet?
Randy

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »

At least with the CC-2000 I would have the data locally on my computer, and not be so dependent on the Internet, correct?

So the Rainwise Mk III w/Oracle Multi & IP-100 doesn't have a console or anyway of reviewing conditions without the internet?

I don't think so, but correct me if I'm wrong.  The Oracle has mins and maxes that can be viewed and reset.  I believe someone here figured out how to access the IP-100 directly to pull data, but I am not aware of any commercially available option to do so.  The standard data logger is the CC-3000, which replaced the CC-2000.

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 09:10:27 PM »
  If you go to the ip address of your ip-100 you will be presented with a webpage of your data, Weather Display software also knows how to pull the data from the ip-100 and display it or upload it to to cwop awekas WU and a bunch more.

Offline trinity

This is my question before I purchase MKIII source data is lacking
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 07:00:31 AM »
Does the MKIII have data storage capability so you don't lose readings?

We have short power failures all the time. Most last less the 5 minutes however some do last much longer (storms, etc.). I have lost power for more then 8 hours (blown transformer) and the Davis keeps the data and downloads it when the power was back on. But the Davis interface console has battery backup.

Unless I'm wrong, if the main MKlll instrument cluster does not have storage capacity loosing power to the IP-100 will result in data loose. I don't see any internal battery power backup for it and don't find any mention of data storage capacity on the MKlll.

This is a question I have before I lay out the money for this station.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:09:29 AM by trinity »

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Re: This is my question before I purchase MKIII source data is lacking
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 08:16:16 AM »
Does the MKIII have data storage capability so you don't lose readings?

We have short power failures all the time. Most last less the 5 minutes however some do last much longer (storms, etc.). I have lost power for more then 8 hours (blown transformer) and the Davis keeps the data and downloads it when the power was back on. But the Davis interface console has battery backup.

Unless I'm wrong, if the main MKlll instrument cluster does not have storage capacity loosing power to the IP-100 will result in data loose. I don't see any internal battery power backup for it and don't find any mention of data storage capacity on the MKlll.

This is a question I have before I lay out the money for this station.

I believe that is a limitation of the IP-100 solution.  The IP-100 has an internal web page that is available if your computer is on the same network, but I think the data is lost if the IP-100 loses power.  The CC-3000 does have a battery backup and non-volitile flash memory that remains intact when power is lost.  I'm planning on getting a small UPS for our router and the IP-100 to handle the short power failures.  There won't be much I can do if the cable lines get taken out though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 08:26:27 AM by ggsteve »

Offline trinity

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 08:21:04 AM »
Kinda figured that was the case. I can find nothing addressing data storage except with the CC-3000.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 08:28:34 AM »
Kinda figured that was the case. I can find nothing addressing data storage except with the CC-3000.

The best thing to do is to call Lonnie, the head of sales at Rainwise.  He will be happy to answer your questions.