Author Topic: Interwarn - gone perhaps ?  (Read 16177 times)

Offline WB9GCV

Interwarn - gone perhaps ?
« on: October 20, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
I've been using Interwarn for years, and in last week or so the program (version 4.2) is not connecting or updating anymore.

I checked the forums, and they have been 'discontinued' due to lack of users/use.

Interestingly, Stormlab is still working and seems to be updating radar scans.

The website itself is unreachable as well:  http://www.interwarn.com

Anyone know if they have now gone totally defunct ?   or maybe just a server crash.

Any programs out there that will send 'real-time' weather bulletins like Interwarn does ?  I run/ assist with weather nets via ham radio when severe weather comes along, and its real nice to get real-time feeds from the weather service during severe weather events, rather than waiting on radio/tv.

Thanks,
Jim/WB9GCV

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: Interwarn - gone perhaps ?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 12:35:11 PM »
http://www.severemap.com/ Is one website, and the owner is very good at keeping things updated and working (I have used both F5 data and Eurowx products)

As for Interwarn, I believe it's been defunct for a little while now. I've even been hearing rumors that Stormlab is not being updated by its owner. I cannot confirm this (Let me do a little reading this evening), but it would sure be a shame. Both were quality products.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
I used Interwarn for a long time.  The big turn off was the attitude of whoever owned it at the time. It was always my fault, presented in a snotty manner and to be reminded that the person with the responsibility of making sure things worked,  had a real job and a life to worry about.

I am confident that I was not alone in being told I was a pain in their butt, but could upgrade for a lot of money.  I think I had at least one time been banned from their site by stating something on the order, if you sell a product that demands me paying you a lot of money, then you better be willing to make sure it still works.

That being said, I migrated to GRLevel 3,  and use a variety of services  on the internet to replace Interwarn.  It was a nice product to have, but then again.. unless you take care of it, it soon will lose interest.

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
That is a shame. I liked the software. I still have it running with my weather station computer. After I seen this post I tired to install it on one more computer and it was a no go. it needs to talk to the server to register it. so it looks like I might as well delete my code and when the computer that has it dies that is the end of the software :-(

Now I am going to have to look for something new....yay...not

Anthony

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 04:54:56 PM »
Here is a list of available services (free and subscription) that you all can browse through.  Hopefully, you can find an adequate replacement.

Email and SMS Weather Alert Services
http://www.weather.gov/emailupdates/

There are also some others that are not included in the list such as,

IEMBot Anonymous Monitor (good for monitoring messages from WFO's)
http://weather.im/iembot/

WXWarn Software
http://www.wxspots.com/wxwarn.htm

And my own little creation that I use all the time.

Current Tornado/Severe Thunderstorm/Flash Flood Warnings
http://ucweather.org/stormauto.php
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 11:29:01 PM by Harryca »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 05:06:19 PM »
WXMesg too.

weathermessage.com

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »
there FB page says:
Please note: Our servers may be down intermittently over the next few days due to server maintenance issues. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience.

so I will let it go for now. I might look back at it again the first of next year. or if the computer that is running there program now dies.... :shock:

Thanks for the links. they are all saved.

Anthony

Offline WB9GCV

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 06:29:08 PM »
there FB page says:
Please note: Our servers may be down intermittently over the next few days due to server maintenance issues. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience.

so I will let it go for now. I might look back at it again the first of next year. or if the computer that is running there program now dies.... :shock:

Thanks for the links. they are all saved.

Thanks for the info.  I don't do 'Facebook' here.  I also have bookmarked all the links for future reference.
I've been looking at 'weather message', but it looks hard to set up.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 07:11:03 PM »
Interwarn was a great piece of software, but alas.....  If it comes back up, I'll be surprised. 

On Weather Message, yes, it can be overwhelming, but there is an extensive manual that comes with it, and Danny, the developer has a active Yahoo Group and he supports his products very well. I have Wxmessage, but I am currently not using it for the lack of internet bandwidth at my home.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »
Interwarn was a great piece of software, but alas.....  If it comes back up, I'll be surprised. 

On Weather Message, yes, it can be overwhelming, but there is an extensive manual that comes with it, and Danny, the developer has a active Yahoo Group and he supports his products very well. I have Wxmessage, but I am currently not using it for the lack of internet bandwidth at my home.

John

Absolutely.  Before that, I was using Rob Dale's RealEMWIN.  That was a great piece of software too; it only lacked mapping.  Danny's software is quite a piece of work.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 07:44:57 AM »
As of this morning, October 21st, this is STILL down, which doesn't surprise me. Something else that doesn't surprise me is the lack of effective communication even on their FB page, since they shut down the their forum.

Their last FB page communication was yesterday morning, October 20th. Evidently, the server that runs Interwarn is also the email and licensing server, too. No redundancy?  Again, not surprising.

I see this getting ugly very quickly on their FB page. Will be amusing/sad to watch.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 05:57:36 PM »
Evan Bookbinder I believe was his name. I had issues with him as well. Interwarn has not worked for me for several months now. There are numerous complaints against him and his programs on the Internet. Just google Interwarn complaints and there you'll have it. "Another one bites the dust".

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Evan sold the company to someone back in 2012, I believe. He closed the business down in Missouri during that year. To my knowledge, no one knows who the current owners are, etc.

Also, the server is still down as we speak, and the owners are making excuses on their FB page because of the time frame it is taking to get the server "back up" and running. We'll see. Its a soap opera in action.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 06:42:12 PM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 07:15:06 PM »
Do you have a link to their FB page? Can't find it in search.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »
Storm Alert, LLC  Notice the name change. Found that interesting also
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline swyman18

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 10:15:44 PM »

Evan Bookbinder I believe was his name. I had issues with him as well. Interwarn has not worked for me for several months now. There are numerous complaints against him and his programs on the Internet. Just google Interwarn complaints and there you'll have it. "Another one bites the dust".

The one time I emailed him regarding a couple of questions I had many years ago, he ripped me a new one for bothering him. Apparently he had it setup where support emails sent an alert to his blackberry (yes, this was a long time ago!), and it woke him up. I had no idea, and certainly was not expecting a response right away.  He told me to post my questions in the forum and he would address them (after some choice words). Needless to say, he never responded on the forum.

I still use Interwarn in conjunction with Weather Message. I use Weather Message to ingest the EMWIN data, and Interwarn to process them. I just have always liked the simplicity and layout of Interwarn. Weather Message is incredibly flexible though and I have some alerts that Interwarn can't process going out from there directly.

Offline WB9GCV

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 06:32:41 AM »

The one time I emailed him regarding a couple of questions I had many years ago, he ripped me a new one for bothering him. Apparently he had it setup where support emails sent an alert to his blackberry (yes, this was a long time ago!), and it woke him up. I had no idea, and certainly was not expecting a response right away.  He told me to post my questions in the forum and he would address them (after some choice words). Needless to say, he never responded on the forum.

I still use Interwarn in conjunction with Weather Message. I use Weather Message to ingest the EMWIN data, and Interwarn to process them. I just have always liked the simplicity and layout of Interwarn. Weather Message is incredibly flexible though and I have some alerts that Interwarn can't process going out from there directly.

Interesting, care to share how you set up Interwarn to use the EMWIN data - I've tried looking at some of the files on WxMsg but not sure what I'm looking for...

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 07:54:16 AM »
Still down as of this morning. I see where some of the more derogatory comments have deleted by the user or by the Interwarn (I'm betting Interwarn did).
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline swyman18

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 01:28:45 PM »

Interesting, care to share how you set up Interwarn to use the EMWIN data - I've tried looking at some of the files on WxMsg but not sure what I'm looking for...

Basically I am having WxMesg "manufacture" the EMWIN files for Interwarn to use. I have an alarm setup in WxMesg for all products from my local WFO (???HFO) and on the Archive tab I have the following settings:

Archive Action = FULL
Archive Type = Local
Archive Path = C:\Program Files (x86)\InterWARN\EMWINIngest\Text\$FileName$$FileExt$
Archive Option = Overwrite

Then I have Interwarn set to use "EMWIN Internet/LAN Connection" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\InterWARN\EMWINIngest\Text\" for the EMWIN Text Data directory.

This makes it so Interwarn is polling for data in that directory instead of using Interwarn's own servers.

Now, I understand this is a little odd because I'm not using WxMesg to it's full potential, and basically only using it to create an EMWIN stream for another program.  But I still have alarms setup in WxMesg to process products like Tsunami watches/warnings and such that Interwarn can't really poll for on it's own.

And also, I have to realize with this setup that there is always the potential that EMWIN might change the filenames at any point which would stop Interwarn from being able to recognize some products.  But I am just using this setup because I like the way the warnings are laid out on the main screen.

If at anytime Interwarn stops working or if I can no longer use it reliably, then I will just go back to having my alarms notifications setup directly in WxMesg.  This is only for my own personal use, so none if this is really that critical for me.  I guess I just liked Interwarn so much back in the day I don't want to let go of it!  :grin:

Offline JVRx7

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 06:56:23 PM »
The latest from Storm Alert LLC from their facebook page...

Please note: We expect our servers to be back soon. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience. Please note: those of you with paid annual subscriptions will be first back online.

Looks like there are more than just server changes maintenance at play here... just sayin'.....

Oh, and they deleted the threads of negative press too...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 06:58:20 PM by JVRx7 »

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
The latest from Storm Alert LLC from their facebook page...

Please note: We expect our servers to be back soon. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience. Please note: those of you with paid annual subscriptions will be first back online.

Looks like there are more than just server changes maintenance at play here... just sayin'.....

Oh, and they deleted the threads of negative press too...

I would never do business with a company that does that.

I quit doing business with a company specifically because they did something similar via Amazon.  I bought a Reecom weather radio; saw some people having issues with theirs and a Reecom rep getting online and excoriating those people saying they were purposefully lying on the reviews on Amazon.  I called that joker out and said, while the Reecom radio I have works fine, I would steer others clear of EVER buying from that company just based on the way the customers were being treated.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 06:15:26 PM »
I've been using Interwarn for years, and in last week or so the program (version 4.2) is not connecting or updating anymore.

I checked the forums, and they have been 'discontinued' due to lack of users/use.

Interestingly, Stormlab is still working and seems to be updating radar scans.

The website itself is unreachable as well:  http://www.interwarn.com

Anyone know if they have now gone totally defunct ?   or maybe just a server crash.

Any programs out there that will send 'real-time' weather bulletins like Interwarn does ?  I run/ assist with weather nets via ham radio when severe weather comes along, and its real nice to get real-time feeds from the weather service during severe weather events, rather than waiting on radio/tv.

Thanks,
Jim/WB9GCV

Hello:
I have been having the exact same problem since Friday October 16th. I have both InterWARN & StormLab. I tried contacting InterWARN and received no response. I also tried to connect to their server and it is unavailable and my email to them was undeliverable.

This is not a good way to run a company.  :-x
My first reaction was they went out of business. I may have to loose InterWARN, plus switch to Gibson Ridge for my Radar needs.

Regards,

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 08:12:06 PM »
According to their Facebook page they will be back up Tuesday. Uh huh.  :roll:

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
Just read that. I'll believe it when I see it. Also, I'm not surprised they deleted the negative/truthful comments from their FB page. 
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 08:19:11 PM »
Just read that. I'll believe it when I see it. Also, I'm not surprised they deleted the negative/truthful comments from their FB page.

Me neither. It would possibly effect possible business. Going through their FB page I spotted a post from Feb 28 this year regarding a not so sunny spring break in Florida so far, possibly implying that the owner was on Spring Break there. Maybe an indication as tot hte possible age of the current owner?

anything