Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 627347 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #6575 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »
Tom:

You can change the size of the font if you want, this is not difficult.

Go to:
/homepage/css/style.php

Then find this:
Code: [Select]
.more, #moreYrNo, #moreWU, .more2{
   font-weight: bold;
   font-variant: small-caps;
   cursor: pointer;
}

And you can add something like:
Code: [Select]
   font-size: 1.4em!important;

Offline Colin

• Senior Contributor
    • Colin's Weather
« Reply #6576 on: April 20, 2017, 06:35:58 PM »
Link to what

Was referring to this post of yours.

Hi guys,
ok, I was looking at the http://spc.noaa.gov/ website. Unfortunately to get some of the data the only way will be HTML scraping (image urls are dynamic etc.). Nevertheless I understand this could be very useful info so Im willing to give it a try. However, the problem is that if you look there there is literally hundreds of images, pages, info etc. And Im not quite sure what is really useful to you, what you would like to see so Im asking you to tell me what you would want. Ideally explain how you would want it to work, provide URLs and I will then look at what you want and try to come up with something. This can be a block, plugin or even both, but keep in mind that blocks should be rather simple, clear and short, and are also limited in terms of space. Yes we can use the "more" button, but that also can only be done to a certain extent. Plugins are more flexible, can have more pages.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 - USB Data Logger - Meteobridge
Porepunkah, Victoria, Australia
https://www.weather.manorts.com
https://www.punkaweather.com
www.meteo.manorts.com

Offline KapitainOne

• Senior Contributor
    • Sanford Weather
« Reply #6577 on: April 20, 2017, 08:39:39 PM »
Nest time you're reviewing the NASAimage of the day block can it be made to expand if you click on it?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6578 on: April 20, 2017, 08:50:50 PM »
Hi,
yes, but not now, later today :D

Offline jonnyj771

• Senior Contributor
    • Lightning Weather
« Reply #6579 on: April 20, 2017, 09:57:54 PM »
Jachym,
My main page says the following...

Data for Block updates could not be loaded from Meteotemplate.com...

Is your server having some sort of issue?  I was able to go to the MT site and was able to download the usSPC block (which I thank you for btw).

Just wanted to make you aware of the potential problem.
Facebook:
Lightning Weather
   www.facebook.com/lightningweather
                             /groups/lightningweather
Lightning Weather Quad Cities
                             /lightningwxqc
                             /groups/lightningWXQC
Weather Station Hardware: Davis Vantage Pro2 6152
Weather Station Software: WD - 10.37S Build XXX (Beta)
Page Template: MeteoTemplate v1x. (Current Active)

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #6580 on: April 20, 2017, 10:42:10 PM »
So - I got my ads-b going - not fully set up but testing it - and the antenna is still inside until I can mount it on the mast.  Check it out:

http://69.127.115.90/dump1090-fa/

Offline nineback

• Contributor
    • Albertville, AL Weather
« Reply #6581 on: April 20, 2017, 10:44:47 PM »
Nice!

Tom

So - I got my ads-b going - not fully set up but testing it - and the antenna is still inside until I can mount it on the mast.  Check it out:

Davis VP+
Weather Display/WeeWX
http://www.kq5s.com/

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #6582 on: April 20, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »
Nice!

Tom

Thanks.  Hoping to get the antenna up about 20' this weekend.  That will improve reception quite a bit.  Been playing with the business plans at FR24 and FA.  Lots of cool stuff.  I want to make a block using my data since it's local to my users.  I also want to work in some other still and looking at rtl-sdr.

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #6583 on: April 20, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »

cool aviation monitor, Id like one but its not gonna work in my country coz our aviation doesnt support to recept such that console in my country in philippines.  :roll:

Offline nineback

• Contributor
« Reply #6584 on: April 20, 2017, 10:59:22 PM »
I am a ham radio operator and looked briefly at ads-b.  I actually tried to get a free receiver and was told no thank you by flightAware and one other data provider.  I wasn't willing to invest the money.  I had rather spend it on the ham radio hobby.

Tom

Nice!

Tom

Thanks.  Hoping to get the antenna up about 20' this weekend.  That will improve reception quite a bit.  Been playing with the business plans at FR24 and FA.  Lots of cool stuff.  I want to make a block using my data since it's local to my users.  I also want to work in some other still and looking at rtl-sdr.
Davis VP+
Weather Display/WeeWX

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6585 on: April 21, 2017, 05:59:43 AM »
Jachym,
My main page says the following...

Data for Block updates could not be loaded from Meteotemplate.com...

Is your server having some sort of issue?  I was able to go to the MT site and was able to download the usSPC block (which I thank you for btw).

Just wanted to make you aware of the potential problem.

Hi,
I know it doesnt work for anyone with https because https does not like loading data from my http server. I know this feature does not work for some people, it is obviously a problem in communication between my server and your server, but it is practically impossible to tell which one is refusing connection with the other one. I personally have no way to tell.

The data is cached for 24h, this means that if it was just temporary and for whatever reason my/your server had some issue with loading the data, it would still show as "not possible to connect" for another 24h. Therefore just wait and see if today, after 24h, it doesnt load it again and if so, you can disable this feature in the Main setup.

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6586 on: April 21, 2017, 06:57:07 AM »
Thanks.  Hoping to get the antenna up about 20' this weekend.  That will improve reception quite a bit.  Been playing with the business plans at FR24 and FA.  Lots of cool stuff.  I want to make a block using my data since it's local to my users.

Wow!  They have made huge improvements since I did my install!  Can PiAware report to FR24 out of the box?

Regarding the MT block, I just read the "mutability" fork's readme file (that PiAware is based on) and they mentioned that they have the option to run with an external web server through JSON files that they write to /run every second.  Might be worth pursuing if you want to share it publicly.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline vreihen

• El Nińo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6587 on: April 21, 2017, 07:16:13 AM »
I am a ham radio operator and looked briefly at ads-b.  I actually tried to get a free receiver and was told no thank you by flightAware and one other data provider.  I wasn't willing to invest the money.  I had rather spend it on the ham radio hobby.

Let's see...putting an antenna in a proper location to receive signals, keeping the feed line short to avoid signal loss, listening for distant signals, and processing them with an SDR (software-defined radio) module that should already be in every serious ham's toolkit.  People are even building their own J-pole antennas for 1090Mhz for ADS-B.  Unless you're one of the hams who feels that the hobby has gone to crap ever since they dropped the Morse code requirement, this sounds like a ham radio hobby project to me!

Of course, I'm not a "real" ham because I don't own an AM/SSB transceiver, Morse code key, and prefer FM modes and working with Ghz plus stuff.

I forgot to mention that I saw under the gear icon in the above PiAware install that they added NEXRAD radar as a map overlay. Talk about a killer MT block if it can be done!!!!!
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nineback

• Contributor
« Reply #6588 on: April 21, 2017, 07:54:03 AM »
A ham with a license is a ham.  I have an sdr dongle though I have to admit I don't use it much since I do not have a way to ground the antenna when I transmit on my HF rig.  Perhaps at 1090mhz there might not be an issue with overloading the sdr.

Tom

Let's see...putting an antenna in a proper location to receive signals, keeping the feed line short to avoid signal loss, listening for distant signals, and processing them with an SDR (software-defined radio) module that should already be in every serious ham's toolkit.  People are even building their own J-pole antennas for 1090Mhz for ADS-B.  Unless you're one of the hams who feels that the hobby has gone to crap ever since they dropped the Morse code requirement, this sounds like a ham radio hobby project to me!

Of course, I'm not a "real" ham because I don't own an AM/SSB transceiver, Morse code key, and prefer FM modes and working with Ghz plus stuff.

I forgot to mention that I saw under the gear icon in the above PiAware install that they added NEXRAD radar as a map overlay. Talk about a killer MT block if it can be done!!!!!
Davis VP+
Weather Display/WeeWX

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6589 on: April 21, 2017, 08:19:34 AM »
LOL, I have no clue what you are talking about guys :D The only thing I understood was that there might be some JSON file. Not sure what it contains or what is its purpose, but if there is one, then I guess that would be usable :D :D :D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Plugin Update - U.S. Radar 2.0
« Reply #6590 on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:38 AM »
Plugin Update - U.S. Radar 2.0

Hi guys,

U.S. radar plugin is probably one of the oldest plugins I have made and never really updated. It is unbelievable, but this plugin is almost 1 and a half years old and since then I learned a lot of new things and doing things better. Today this plugin was more or less useless because even the block could do more.

I therefore decided to redesign this plugin from scratch. I concentrated on the actual image, so I made it as large as possible. I also didn´t want anything like "national" or "regional". Instead I used an interactive map and overlayed the images over the map so you can just zoom in and move around using the map.

I also added various layers. You can combine them together, set opacity for each, set the order in which they are layed on top of each other and you have two base maps available (terrain, road).

Available layers include:
- NEXRAD Composite
- GOES IR
- GOES Water Vapor
- GOES Visible
- Above layers in detail for: E, W, N
- Alaska Visible
- Alaska IR
- Alaska Water Vapor
- Hawaii Visible
- 1h precipitation
- 24h precipitation
- 48h precipitation
- 72h precipitation
- Hybrid-Scan Reflectivity Composite

IMPORTANT!!! You need to update your menu.php, the new link is different.

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/usRadar/

Enjoy!

Offline nineback

• Contributor
« Reply #6591 on: April 21, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
I like the way you highlighted the button to select the different layers.  Easy to see but perhaps needs some text somewhere to tell folks to click the highlighted box to select layers.

Tom
Davis VP+
Weather Display/WeeWX

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6592 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »
Hi Tom,
the actual button is default and built-in to the openlayers map script library loaded over CDN, so this is not something I can change really, this would be very complicated to do, most likely either use a local copy and edit the map script (which i dont want to do because it is thousands of lines written by many people as an open-source project and would also make it impossible to update the script) or use some plugin, which is also problematic, because I cant find anything like that.

However given this is used on many webpages in exactly the same way, it is likely people will understand. The actual button is part of the script that handles the actual loading of the map tiles etc., just like the Google Maps library.

Offline nineback

• Contributor
« Reply #6593 on: April 21, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »
Thanks.  I thought it was something you added and could change.

Tom
Davis VP+
Weather Display/WeeWX

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Block Update -Lightning 3.2
« Reply #6594 on: April 21, 2017, 10:01:07 AM »
Block Update -Lightning 3.2

Hi guys,

just minor improvements.

Enjoy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6595 on: April 21, 2017, 10:05:54 AM »
Thanks.  I thought it was something you added and could change.

Tom

Not this particular thing. I did not make the actual mapping library (OpenLayers), this is an open-source Javascript mapping library, which includes this feature, referred to as "layer switcher". I would rather not mess up with the mapping script because you never know what might break, you cannot update when they release new version of OpenLayers and you would not be able to use the CDN, which makes it load a lot faster.

I now usually use OpenLayers or Leaflet mapping libraries instead of Google Maps which I used previously. Although I still think Google maps are the best maps out there, it is now a bit problematic since they introduced the API keys and even though Im a big Google fan and use practically all their services, if there is an open-source free alternative, I always try to use that.

Offline nineback

• Contributor
« Reply #6596 on: April 21, 2017, 10:29:18 AM »
I prefer Google maps and like most here have obtained the key.  I find Google maps to be much better than the open source maps.

Tom
Davis VP+
Weather Display/WeeWX

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6597 on: April 21, 2017, 11:01:31 AM »
Hi,
but:
1. they are much slower
2. you never know whats going to happen, if Google decides they can no longer handle the request or that they want to make more money and monetize even the cheapest plan, then everything stops working.

If there is a free open-source alternative, I will always use that. And also, in this particular case, Google maps would not be better and in fact they would not even be able to do this. Because another huge advantage of open source is that anyone can develop extensions and it is developed by the community, not a private company which can do whatever they like.

Offline N0BGS

« Reply #6598 on: April 21, 2017, 11:07:07 AM »

Tom

Tom, I'm a ham also. I've been feeding ADS-B data to FR24.com for several years. I have two receiving stations with a range of about 250 miles.
You can get into this hobby for about $40.00--so a lot less than 100 feet of 9913 coax.  Most of the software is also open source--and if you can build your own antenna it's even cheaper.  It's pretty cool.

--Kurt

Offline jonnyj771

• Senior Contributor
    • Lightning Weather
« Reply #6599 on: April 21, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »
Jachym,

Just an FYI for you. The US Radar update went well. The radar from WSI is working properly. However, the data from TWC that is below it is out of date. Shows data from Dec 7th 2016.
I have attached a screenshot from my PC of that section of the page.
All tabs show the same date and information from that timeline.
I attempted to refresh the page, to no avail.

Regards,

Jonny J.
Facebook:
Lightning Weather
   www.facebook.com/lightningweather
                             /groups/lightningweather
Lightning Weather Quad Cities
                             /lightningwxqc
                             /groups/lightningWXQC
Weather Station Hardware: Davis Vantage Pro2 6152
Weather Station Software: WD - 10.37S Build XXX (Beta)
Page Template: MeteoTemplate v1x. (Current Active)