Author Topic: FOR SALE - THE ALL NEW "MASTER WILLIAM STORM GLASS"  (Read 8809 times)

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
FOR SALE - THE ALL NEW "MASTER WILLIAM STORM GLASS"
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »
Hi Gang,

Many of you have watched and helped me develop my version of the "Storm Glass" and I thank you.

Although there is abundant information documented on Admiral FitzRoys relationships with the storm glass and one gentlemen even credits FitzRoy with inventing it, the storm glass was invented by the Italians in or about 1750,  long before FitzRoy.
I am doing research on the Italian subject, however it's quite slow going.

My research has uncovered that the early storm glasses were 10" and 12" tall.  I have tried to replicate as to what I envisioned as the early types of storm glass.

The Storm glass that I am producing is 12" tall and 2-1/2" diam.  The glass tube is 8" tall and 1-1/2" in diam.

One that is presently on the market is brass, just over 5" tall and 1-1/2" in diam.  sells for, between $145.00 to $160.00. Presentation set is $230.00.

I am presenting for sale, only on the WXforum at a reduced price, two of the prototypes that were used during the development of my storm glass.

The storm glass is Honduras Mahogany, lacquer finished.  The price is $130.00.  Shipping will be $16.00 UPS insured, ground only.  I will try to look into over seas, this may prove to be tough.

Market price will be $160.00 and this year limited to only 10.

You may send me an email or PM if interested.  I have PayPal, that works just fine. 

Thanks for looking and questions are always welcome.  I don't promise that I will have an answer.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:51:55 PM by NiceBill »
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
Re: FOR SALE - THE ALL NEW "MASTER WILLIAM STORM GLASS"
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:31:39 PM »
The first prototype has been sold, there is still the second one (same price as above).  It is the same as the one shown above and then that's it.  The rest will be market price.  I also have them in Local American Black Walnut (market price).  If you are interested in eather send me an email or a PM.

Thanks,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 09:12:15 AM by NiceBill »
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »
Some other photos:
These are available at market price of $160.00 + $16.00 S/H.

First two are of Local American Black Walnut:

This one is Local Cherry. Anthony said he would like to see one in cherry. I will show this one in 6 months, you will not believe the change and in a year it will knock your socks off.  Not for sale at this time.                                   

This one is of Honduras flame Mahogany.
The picture in the background, for you light house folks, is by a famous local artist and "She" does all of her work in all wood.  Everything in the picture is pcs of wood.

I will turn storm glass body's in exotic woods.  Please enquire for prices and availability at this time.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :grin:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:01:34 PM by NiceBill »

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »

Good evening,

The second of the two Prototype storm glasses has been sold,  Thank You.

All "Master William Storm Glasses"  Will now be at market price.  That leaves 7 remaining for this year.

Send a PM or email if you have any questions or wish one.

Thanks,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:57:31 PM »
I bought the first prototype, and it arrived today.

It arrived in fine shape, so the packing was was more than adequate. No odor of any leakage, just a residual of the finish.

Naturally, the precipitate that's in it was all stirred up. I hung in a NW window and it settled to the bottom fairly quickly.

It's beautiful! Bill does nice work.

I hung it in a north window. We'll see how it does. Now to print out some directions on how to read it.

If you bought one, be ready to hang it. There's no way to stand it up on the counter or window sill. I had to scrounge up a brass cup hook.

rikostan

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 12:43:04 AM »
I picked up the second one... can't wait till tomorrow when it comes in!
We will have to post some pics of what they look like in their different stages too.

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »

Greetings all,

Chris (SLOweather) sent me a PM with an outstanding critique of the storm glass.

I was going to respond to Chris's PM with a reply PM but I am glad I noticed this post first.  Chris had some very good questions and some suggestions.  I thank you for that.

I think replying to them hear will benefit many.
First I am glad the storm glass arrived safely in one pc.  Second I thank you for the kind words.

I will take this in the order that Chris presented them.

"There's 1 3/4" freeboard above the liquid in the tube. From looking at the pics in the thread, this seems normal. Still, for all the work, it seems like a waste to have that much visible tube unused."

During my studies of how to recreate the storm glass to what I envisioned as the original type, I found that an air space is required above the liquid.  This was somewhat of a challenge to figure out.  After much shacking, mixing and observation I found the air space required to have the crystals work was close to 1/4 the total volume of the tube.  Hence the 1-3/4" of dead space.  It's required.  As Martha says It's a good thing"

"Suggestions:"

"Unless there is a compelling reason otherwise, you might consider a flat base option that can be stood on a counter or windowsill. When I got mine out of the package, I had nowhere to hang it. I considered removing the hanging eye to gain a flat base, but that's the top and I didn't know how the tube was sealed."

I guess a painting is created in the eyes of the artist as to the way he sees it.  I thought the glass looked good hanging.
However, I did consider it as Chris noted, with a base of sorts, for free standing, but then there is the plague today of the design law suite.  If it was not large enough, which in my eyes would have taken away from the design, as to not allow someone to knock it over and break it.  This would not go over well with the EPA.
If folks wish to alter my design, that's ok, however any adverse results would not be my fault.
Second, a flat base if created, would incur additional costs.

I am glad the hanging eye was not removed, as it is not a "screw eye" it is in fact an "eye bolt".  The eye is on a stud held in place with a nut and internally staked.  I doubt this could be replaced.

"Include a nicely designed instructional paper with recommendations for hanging location, how to read it, and perhaps a mention of the chemicals inside and how to clean up if it breaks. A little history would be nice, too."

All of the above is in the works.  However, knowing how you folks are I was extremely confident  you did your home work before you ever contemplated buying one :lol:

I  hope I have answered any questions or concerns at this time, I am sure there will be more and I will always be grateful for them.

One thing I don't want to leave out is the maintenance.

Clean the glass once a year, and give it a vigorous shaking.

I really do thank you Chris, hope you enjoy it for a number of years to come.

A great project, they do take some time to create.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :grin:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:00:33 AM by NiceBill »

rikostan

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
I received my Stormglass today too. I just had enough time to unbox it before having to come in to work, but it looks great. You can see the skill that went into making it. I will post more thoughts after checking it out tomorrow.

Thanks Bill!

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 04:34:25 PM »

Rick,

I am happy it arrived ok, that was fast for ground shipping.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 11:36:15 AM »
Mine's been hanging in the window for a day and a half now. Yesterday, all of the crystals were at the bottom. Today, half are at the top.

Now to figure out that that means. The NWS says hot and low RH again here today.

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 02:32:07 PM »

Hear is a photo of one hanging in the north back porch. The day is over cast may or may not rain, had  a lot of rain yesterday.
The photo is ok, you should see this in person, the crystals are outstanding.

I am very very pleased with my formula mixture.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>> :grin:

rikostan

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 12:56:16 AM »
Got the certificate of authenticity this week Bill, very nice, thanks!

Quick question, how close to a window do you normally hang the storm glass? Mine is about a foot away from the window and really hasn't done much yet. It has been hanging there for about 3 days now. We have had quite a bit of rain and snow over the last few days too.

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »
Got the certificate of authenticity this week Bill, very nice, thanks!

Quick question, how close to a window do you normally hang the storm glass? Mine is about a foot away from the window and really hasn't done much yet. It has been hanging there for about 3 days now. We have had quite a bit of rain and snow over the last few days too.

As how close to the window, (normally) I can't really say.  What I have reviewed from other writings is that one should hang it in a north window at the least.  Also it has been noted that they seem to work best out in the elements as the original ones were hung out on the ships.
We have two hanging in the, I'll call it the four seasons room and they seem to do quite well.  The room is not heated or cooled, however all glass enclosed.  The last photo is of one hanging in the room.  Now, the one hanging in the house is not as active.
I don't think I will leave the ones in the four seasons room out there during a deep freeze.

I guess it's a big learning curve and I don't think I have hit the top yet ether.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>  :-)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »

As how close to the window, (normally) I can't really say.  What I have reviewed from other writings is that one should hang it in a north window at the least.  Also it has been noted that they seem to work best out in the elements as the original ones were hung out on the ships.

I've wondered about this on 2 counts. It does seem to me that out in the elements would be better. But the other question is movement. Ships move about quite a bit, and that would seem to affect the crystals. I tapped mine and the top crystals settled to the bottom. Just now I gently moved it to a different window and that seems to have settled them somewhat.

I'll have to see about an outdoor mounting for a trial.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:02:23 PM by SLOweather »

rikostan

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 06:53:27 PM »
I gave mine a gentle shake and I had some decent crystal formations for a day or so, but it has settled down to nothing again. I am thinking about putting it outside, but I am worried about it in the elements. Our house has very few windows and we keep it pretty warm, so I am sure that has a negative affect on it.
The only place I could really hang it outside is under a very large eave, that faces west. It would not get any direct sun, but it is very close to the sidewalk. I would need to make sure I hang it with a strong enough chain that it couldn't be stolen easily.

anything