Author Topic: Wind Speed Issue  (Read 3146 times)

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Wind Speed Issue
« on: October 29, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »
Since "Sandy" is moving through this part of the U.S. tonight and tomorrow I have been pretty much glued to my office watching the gauges. I have recorded a high gust so far of 43 on my "Maximum" Maestro2S but the peak on my RainWise has been 38. Has anyone even noticed an issue with this particular station missing peak gusts? I haven't really noticed an issue until about now. not a good time to not get a peak gust!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Wind Speed Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
Two things come to my mind immediately that may have an influence, 1 how far apart the two wind sensors are, wind can vary pretty much just several inches away. 2, the sample rate differences of the two stations could make a difference. For example, one samples while the other just did a second ago.
Maybe watching them for a while you'll see it the other way around and in the end it all averages out.?.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:51:50 PM by DanS »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:47 PM »
Hmmmmm, going point Dan. I believe they are a few feet apart, the anemometer for the Maximum higher that the Rainwise unit. I'll see if I can locate a photo to show you. The Rainwise has always seemed to have 'caught' a gust even with the 2 second sample cycle. I guess this is why it's good to have two units?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:58:41 PM »
Yea, you definitely have enough spacing between them to catch/miss differences in direction and speed. My two are mounted close enough that the vanes clear each other by inches and I see differences at times. You have 2 good quality stations there and I wouldn't imagine the readings being off. Probably the placement and/or sample timing is my guess.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 06:28:56 PM »
...just curious...what are you looking at?  The raw data from the stations or a snapshot from a weather software?  Or perhaps the max/min from the displays?  Just curious...

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »
Hi Jim... Raw data from the "Maximum" Anenom.

Peak gust recorded with the RainWise.

With the Maximum I was actually sitting here watching the needle move.

Don in Ohio

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
Thanks Don

I was trying to imagine your setup and what you were looking at to make your comparisons.  Here I have the displays (several different stations/brands) and they all pretty much display max/min values.  I also run WV32, Rainwise.net as well as WeatherLink from Davis.  I would think the best way to try and figure what really happened (assuming there is nothing wrong with either station) would be to look at the 'raw' data as recorded in a .cvs file (usually a software function).  Just a guess.  If the concern is traced back to the Rainwise display, perhaps give Rainwise a call.  Their service folks (Stan) are great.  If you feed a 3rd party like WU, maybe check your data there.  A word of caution, becareful how you do station comparisons.  You may end up chasing a rabbit down a hole.  Unless of course we're talking a huge difference. :lol:

Good luck and I'm glad to hear you made it through the storm.  From Friday to today, we recorded 7.30" of rain.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:44:16 PM »
Hi Jim.... OK, my bad. Neither of the stations are feeding information to a logger, the internet, a computer or otherwise. Both are recording the gusts, self contained. Make sense? Maybe that 2 second cycle of displaying data does miss a brief peak, what have you seen with your RainWise?

Not quite 7" of rain here since Saturday but approaching 4".

Don in Ohio

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
Hi Jim.... OK, my bad. Neither of the stations are feeding information to a logger, the internet, a computer or otherwise. Both are recording the gusts, self contained. Make sense? Maybe that 2 second cycle of displaying data does miss a brief peak, what have you seen with your RainWise?

Not quite 7" of rain here since Saturday but approaching 4".

Don in Ohio

yes.....that does makes sense.  As you know the Rainwise display will pull/display the max/min values.    Keep in mind that you do have to reset.

Here are my wind gust during Sandy from the Rainwise:

26Oct - 11mph
27Oct - 24mph
28Oct - 26mph
29Oct - 26mph

These are about right for my backyard.  The Rainwise is on a 5' tripod and there are several 2 story homes around me, but that's why I call it Virginia Beach Backyard Weather.