Author Topic: RainWise WS-2000 anemometer only reports 67 degree direction  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Swede

• Farmington, New Mexico Weather
    • Weather Underground Page
Had my humidity sensor and anemometer replaced last year.  The end of last month a thunderstorm blew into my location and now the anemometer only transmits it's direction as 67 degrees.  Have gone up and spun the thing around, but still only reports the same direction.  The propeller reports wind speed fine and the vane turns ok, but the unit still only shows a direction of 67 degrees.  Any thoughts on this?  Could a lightning strike have caused this?  No visible damage on the unit.

My next step is to go up and turn the unit off, then turn it back on to see if this problem is cleared.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan-Aspirated
WeatherLink 6.0.5 with WeatherLink IP
Weather Underground: KNMFARMI104
CWOP: DW4879

Offline Feelgood Ranch

• Feelgood Ranch Weather
Re: RainWise WS-2000 anemometer only reports 67 degree direction
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »
My guess, and only a guess, is either the magnet embedded in shaft is gone or the magnetic reed switches that are in the housing are defective.  Both the compass headings and wind speed employ reed switches to create pulse data.  Oversimplified answer on my part.
Sounds like a probable replacement necessary.

Ken Keyes

Ken Keyes
RainWise MkIII-LR, WeatherView 32 v8, StarDotXL 3mp cam, Boltek PCI lightning detector/L2K, CWOP/CW4669, Weather For You
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMTBOZEM2&wuSelect=PWS
http://www.anythingweather.com/current.aspx?id=22721

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
...not clear on where you're seeing the 67 degrees..?  The Rainwise displays only allow adjustments in measurement box, i.e. mph, kilometers, and knots.  The compass heading is just that.....N, S, E, and W.  Sounds like you're viewing your data through a software interface...?  WV32..?  If so, you might want to try rebooting your PC and/or check your data logger connection.

Offline Swede

• Farmington, New Mexico Weather
    • Weather Underground Page
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
WeatherView 32 is giving me the 67 degree reading.  The wall-mount Oracle display unit is showing northeast.  Brought the unit down from the roof,  turned it off and no.  Didn't work.  Opened the unit and removed the battery then reinstalled.  Didn't work.  It is possible the unit took an electrical hit during a recent thunderstorm.  The unit is getting ready to be shipped to RainWise and they suspect it may be a motherboard issue.  The unit has been in service since June of 2000.  Perhaps getting towards the end of it's lifespan ?
Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan-Aspirated
WeatherLink 6.0.5 with WeatherLink IP
Weather Underground: KNMFARMI104
CWOP: DW4879

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »
.  The unit has been in service since June of 2000.  Perhaps getting towards the end of it's lifespan ?

...sounds like it! 8-)