Author Topic: Rainwise MK3 Barometer Malfunction  (Read 7107 times)

Offline litavecz

Rainwise MK3 Barometer Malfunction
« on: June 24, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »
Hi.I bought a Rainwise MK3 on eBay a few months ago.I'm happy with it except for the barometer sensor.When the pressure is steady,it's readings are right in line with the pressure reading from the local airport.When the pressure is rising or falling,it's readings are way off.Readings are exaggerated one way or the other.When the pressure stabilizes,it goes back to normal.I've replaced the actual sensor on the PC board,but it continues to be way off.Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?Thanks.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
Re: Rainwise MK3 Barometer Malfunction
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 05:58:01 PM »
Hello... I had the same issue when I first got my station back in April. Fortunately it was purchased directly from Rainwise in Maine and they sent me a new mother board. That took care of the issue. Did you contact them directly again regarding the issue? I do know the barometer is very sensitive so even minor changes not normally picked up by a dial barometer may not reflect other than on the RW. How far are you from your local airport?

Don

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »
I've replaced the actual sensor on the PC board,but it continues to be way off.

...not sure what you replaced?  As Don mentions, the barometric pressure is hard-wired onto the motherboard.  I experienced a similar problem with the solid state barometer.  The issue was with the temperature compensation.  Your problem sounds more of a case where you may be trying to closely compare readings.  If the 'error' appears only during pressure changes, keep in mind, different stations react differently, but they should all level at the same point.  Just a guess.

I recommend you call Rainwise and provide them your findings as to what your pressure is doing and what makes you think it's off.  If they recommend a motherboard replacement, it's not hard.  I did mine in about 30 minutes.  Works best if you can bring the unit inside.  I can't imagine working on it while on the roof.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:15:33 PM by VaJim »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:40:27 PM »
I agree with Jim, especially when it comes to replacing the mother board. He suggested to me I bring the unit indoors to replace the board and I did, and I'm glad I did now! Can't imagine slipping, falling and nearly ending up way down on the ground for a mother board!  :lol: I have found Rainwise is very easy to work with. Heck your unit may still be under warranty! Good luck with it.

Offline Feelgood Ranch

• Feelgood Ranch Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 12:04:21 AM »
Just replaced my motherboard as having same problem.  The old pressure sensor was soldered to the board.  New board "piggybacks" a small board with pressure sensor and temperature compensation onto the back of the motherboard and cabled to the motherboard.  Easy fix to make, FWIW.

Ken Keyes

Ken Keyes
RainWise MkIII-LR, WeatherView 32 v8, StarDotXL 3mp cam, Boltek PCI lightning detector/L2K, CWOP/CW4669, Weather For You
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMTBOZEM2&wuSelect=PWS
http://www.anythingweather.com/current.aspx?id=22721

Offline litavecz

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 07:40:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies.The airport is 4 miles away.Rainwise claims accuracy to be within .05". My readings were off by .1" or more.I contacted Rainwise about this and they sent me a replacement sensor which I had to solder to the existing board.(This was not a problem for me.I build electronics kits as a hobby.)So I'm still having the same issue.I really didn't want to send the board in and have the station down for a week or better,but it's looking like I may have to anyway.Feelgood Ranch I think mentioned piggybacking a replacement board to the existing one.This other board just plugs in to the existing one?How much was the new one?This would be an easy fix If it would work with my station.BTW...I was really surprised with how many responses I got to my post.Thanks again!I hope I can help someone else having an issue with their station in the future.

Offline Feelgood Ranch

• Feelgood Ranch Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »
My comments referred to a replacement board, supplied by RainWise under warrantee, with a smaller sensor board mounted underneath the mother board and connected via wire harness to MB. 
Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Ken Keyes

Ken Keyes
RainWise MkIII-LR, WeatherView 32 v8, StarDotXL 3mp cam, Boltek PCI lightning detector/L2K, CWOP/CW4669, Weather For You
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMTBOZEM2&wuSelect=PWS

Offline litavecz

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:36:47 PM »
Ok.Thanks feelgood.Mine isn't under warranty.I hope the motherboard isn't too expensive. :(

Offline litavecz

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »
Talked to Rich at Rainwise support.He's going to send out a new motherboard with a barometer sensor upgrade.It'll cost me $115 including shipping.I'll send my old one back in exchange.That way my station won't be offline that long.Hopefully this takes care of the problem.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »
I know this will sound way weird, but I had a used (eBay) system that had a varying barometer similar to what is being discussed.

Drove me nuts, constantly fiddling with the displays, etc.

I had a battery failure, and after I replaced the dry cell (heavy little sucker) I'm running higher voltage readings on the diagnostics, and the barometer is tracking exceptionally close, with a few hundredths of an inch most of the time.   I don't know if I reseated something when I opened to box, or the lower than expected, but still functional for most of the other systems, helped.  Might be worth a try to see what the voltage is, if not 6+ or slightly more.

Remember this is NOT NOT NOT a 12v. system and innards have been fried when someone hooks up a 12 supply to see if all problems are due to bad battery.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:16:49 PM »
...I think the problem in this case in where the Rainwise pressure sensor is located.  Most stations (I believe) place the pressure sensor inside the display which of course is sitting in a temperature controlled environment.  The Rainwise pressure sensor is located on a motherboard inside the station which is outdoors in the elements.  This is by design.  The problem is trying to figure out a temperature compensation or find a pressure sensor that is not effected by the temperature.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:20:49 PM by VaJim »

Offline Feelgood Ranch

• Feelgood Ranch Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »
I think the BP sensor that is piggybacked to motherboard's under surface has electronically built in temperature compensation, but need to confirm that with RainWise tech's.

Ken

Ken Keyes

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »
I think the BP sensor that is piggybacked to motherboard's under surface has electronically built in temperature compensation, but need to confirm that with RainWise tech's.

Ken

That's the way it's suppose to work.  There may be some older units units out there and some newer ones that either did not receive the temp comp. or in my case, the comp range still has problems on the high end (95f+)