Author Topic: ebay deal?  (Read 4446 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
ebay deal?
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:43:10 AM »
I'd be tempted on this ebay deal if I still lived stateside.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: ebay deal?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:00:52 AM »
I saw this also.  I think it's the 2nd time to be posted.  Evidently the 1st time the bids didn't reach the 'reserve'...?  It is a great station! =D>

Offline JRaz

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »
I turned a buddy of mine on to this deal and he snatched it up to replace an old O/S unit. Will have fun getting the install done. Do any of you know the post diameter it will accept?

Thanks,

John
Davis Pro 2 6163
Weatherlink 6510ser
HP Pavilion 724C

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
I turned a buddy of mine on to this deal and he snatched it up to replace an old O/S unit. Will have fun getting the install done. Do any of you know the post diameter it will accept?

Thanks,

John

John:  I have my MKIII on a standard tripod setup.  However, a 1.5" mast should work.  I believe the Rainwise comes with a PVC 'anchoring' piece which you can slip down on or over the mast.

Offline JRaz

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
 :grin:Many thanks!
Davis Pro 2 6163
Weatherlink 6510ser
HP Pavilion 724C

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Tip:  When you do mount the sensor housing, make sure you pay close attention to the distance from the last support point to the bottom of the sensor. No more than 12" or less than 7".  The upper limit I can attest to is to prevent wobbling in high winds.  If the station moves it can affect your rain gauge.

The lower distance is probably to prevent the antenna being hit or damaged.

Offline JRaz

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »
Thanks again for the tip. For the record ( per Rainwise) the OD is 1 11/16" the ID is 1 5/16" that should equate to 1" rigid conduit.

John
Davis Pro 2 6163
Weatherlink 6510ser
HP Pavilion 724C

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:09:35 PM »
Tip:  When you do mount the sensor housing, make sure you pay close attention to the distance from the last support point to the bottom of the sensor. No more than 12" or less than 7".  The upper limit I can attest to is to prevent wobbling in high winds.  If the station moves it can affect your rain gauge.

So that may explain why the only Rainwise in my area seems to report some rain during the high winds preceding the actual rain storm.  I'd wondered if it really was seeing rain before every other station in the area being located at the base of the mountain or if its tipper was fluttering in the wind.  I think the latter now.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »

So that may explain why the only Rainwise in my area seems to report some rain during the high winds preceding the actual rain storm.  I'd wondered if it really was seeing rain before every other station in the area being located at the base of the mountain or if its tipper was fluttering in the wind.  I think the latter now.

Could be.  The sensor housing and rain gauge is fairly top heavy.  The owners manual is fairly clear on the restrictions.  Several years ago I raised my station beyond the recommended limits and did have problems.  Since then I've lowered it to specs and it works fine.  Northeasters and all!

Offline Feelgood Ranch

• Feelgood Ranch Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »
I had a rain bucket on 4 ft. post at ground level and had to guy wire it to stabilize so recording was accurate as any heavy wind caused erroneous records.  I now have MK III LR at top of 30 ft. mast with bucket about 7 ft. above ground on mast base which is rigid and works fine.  Having it all at top of mast creates a large wind load due to surface area.

Ken Keyes
RainWise MkIII-LR, WeatherView 32 v8, StarDotXL 3mp cam, Boltek PCI lightning detector/L2K, CWOP/CW4669, Weather For You
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMTBOZEM2&wuSelect=PWS
http://www.anythingweather.com/current.aspx?id=22721

anything