Author Topic: Anti-Virus Revealed  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Anti-Virus Revealed
« on: June 27, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »
I know what people are thinking MS knows all the tricks to their own software.
However, in October of 2013 even MS admitted they were producing a far inferior product and recommended people make a different choice. Look at the lab results in the tables below and check out this article.

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodbye-microsoft-security-essentials-microsoft-now-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

This is not just about MSE though.

As a Computer Systems Administrator I will tell you a dirty little not so secret secret.
The only difference between Paid and Free AV is the feature set like a cumbersome Firewall,
and sometimes the lack of ads (however, this alone may be worth the price of admission to some).
The AV algorithms are exactly the same for Paid and Free.
Think to yourself why would they be any different.
If the free version is to convince you to pay for it.
Why would they let you sample a lemon...
Why would they spend the time and resources on two different algorithms...
Why would they commit to two different servers and update cycles...
Etc...

Now all AV's are tested regularly by independent labs (http://www.av-comparatives.org/detection-test/) and Here are the detection rates for March 2014:
Notice the Lab does not indicate free vs. paid because the results are exactly the same.

1. Kaspersky Lab 99.8%
2. F-Secure, eScan, Baidu (en), Fortinet 99.6%
3. Emsisoft, Bitdefender, Lavasoft, Kingsoft², BullGuard, Qihoo (en) 99.5%
4. McAfee, Panda 99.3%
5. AVIRA, Tencent 99.2%
6. Trend Micro 99.0%
7. ThreatTrack Vipre 98.9%
8. ESET 98.8%
9. Sophos 98.3%
10. Avast 97.7%
11. AVG 97.5%
12. Microsoft 90.0%

Now September 2013:

1. AVIRA, G DATA, F-Secure  99.7%
2. McAfee, Panda  99.6%
3. Kaspersky, BitDefender, Emisoft  99.5%
4. BullGuard, eScan  99.4%
5. Fortinet, Vipre  99.0%
6. AVG,  98.3%
7. Sophos, Trend  98.2%
8. ESET  97.1%
9. Avast 96.5%
10. AhmLab  90.6%
11. Microsoft  90.1%
12. Symantec  89.7%

I am showing two different sets of results so you can see things change rapidly - but just barely.
Microsoft is always near the bottom.
The others jockey around for the top five slots within a tenth of a percent of each other.

Now there are three other factors to consider one of which is false hits.
In other words the AV says this file is a virus and it really is quite safe. 
MSE scores the best in this regards because it has such a hard time finding them at all.
The others again jockey around trying to hit it the top five slots of the fewest false hits.

What have I learned after over 30 years of both professional and personal use of AV's?
First, the free versions are not inferior to the paid versions.
Second, MSE is inferior and even MSE admits it, and tells us to use something else.

Second, AV products vary year to year but it is like buying a car.
It usually takes a horrific event to offset the "first choice" mentality.

Finally I have my favorite AV and there is usually nothing I can say to you, show show you, present to you to convince you to change your favorite AV (and really why would I want to try they all jockey around great results).
Ultimately as long as you are using something other than MSE (please read the MSE article listed above) you will eventually land in one of the top five slots anyway. So one last factor is the interface and your ability manage the AV and that is all personal preference.

Having said all the above I depend on lab results and nothing else so I will not debate individual AV's.
Everyone has probably had a bad virus really make a mess of their computer.
The AV that was installed at the time probably has an understandable emotional reaction for you now.
Just remember none of the AV's has ever made the 100% hit and 0% false hit mark every month.
Check out the AV Comparatives website list above as they have monthly results you can purview if you are really bored.

Seriously now no ill will for anyone and there favorite AV (I loved and used MSE when it was great).

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Anti-Virus Revealed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:49:52 PM »
Interesting.
I have used MSE forever with the only problems being 2 instances of that damn Google Redirect Virus. Guess maybe I'm just lucky.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:16:38 PM »
Seriously now no ill will for anyone and there favorite AV (I loved and used MSE when it was great).

That's a really good and informative post.  I had read similar things about MSE before I switched.

With these old computers, I have to use AV that isn't a resource hog.  Some of the AV really bogs it down.  So that's my criteria, FWIW. 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 11:43:01 PM »
I am using Avast Internet Security Suite 2014. It isn't a resource hog for me.  I did have Kapersky and it is a hog, good, but hog.  I probably will stick with Avast as I have it when the subscription runs out in October.  I had been hedging going with Bitdefender from its ratings of late, but just not there yet.

I do use Malwarebytes when the mood strikes me and between the two items (Avast and MWB)  I have as far as I know a clean system.

In any case, one has to have protection or buy the farm in the process.  I clean up with CCleaner and it does fine.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:57:31 PM »
I uninstalled MSE and put the free version of AVIRA and liking what I see. 1 1/2 hours into full scan and has found 4 adwares that were undetected even by malwarebytes so far. One was hidden inside the firefox.exe
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 12:59:58 AM »
I use sometimes adwcleaner  and it take s care of that as well, but I will keep that you are using in mind

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:32:38 AM »
I have anti-virus software on all of my computers, and not once has it ever alerted me to an infection other than EICAR test files and "hey do you think this is infected" scans of suspicious files/emails for others.  Proper use of Google Chrome with the NotScripts and AdBlock plugins goes a long way toward blocking drive-by web infections, as does staying 100% away from social media web sites.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 10:09:40 AM »
I was using Norton Internet security many years ago when its reputation was a "big resource hog".  I eventually changed to Bitdefender.  What a big mistake and nightmare to try to get it working.  Finally gave up and went to some other internet security solution (can't remember the name) but it eventually (after a few years of use) started using the same antivirus engine Bitdefender was using and all the errors and "not respondings" started again so I gave up on it.  It was then that I went back to the new improved Norton Internet Security and have been using it ever since.  Have never had an issue running the program on several computers that are on 24/7 and have never had a virus or some other intrusion.  Norton does not rate the highest of all the security solutions but it works for me.  I always look for the best deal on single user, 3 license packages every year usually costing between $20 and $30.

I also tried McAfee Internet Security once (2005-ish) when it came preloaded on a new computer.  Not sure what the problem was but it proved to be very buggy and caused soooo many computer lockups that I eventually downloaded the uninstaller/cleaner from McAfee to get rid of it.

It's easy to become a fan of software that runs quietly in the background and NEVER gives you trouble.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 04:01:56 PM »
Not had one issue with MSE in the four years I've been using it.  I also, however, lock down my network fairly tight and use ad blockers on ALL my PCs.  As well as no longer using IE for practically anything except at work where I have to use it due to freaking Sharepoint.   ](*,)
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

anything