Author Topic: WS-2000 / WS-5000 Firmware Tips - Firmware Updates  (Read 15580 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
WS-2000 / WS-5000 Firmware Tips - Firmware Updates
« on: January 18, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »
WS-2000 / WS-5000 Firmware Tips

IMPORTANT: The WS-2000 (same exact console as WS-5000) has two different firmware types that need to be maintained. Updating one does not update the other. Each one has its own method to perform the update. These are:
  • Revision Firmware
  • WiFi Firmware

WS-2000 Revision Firmware
This is the firmware that changes how the display looks. It updates the display for new features and layout changes. These firmware updates are available from Ambient Weather from the WS-2000 Software Download section. Normally they only link to the latest version. But you can look at the link for the latest version and see the file download path and then edit the link in your browser to see the previous versions. Read the release notes here:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwewsfidoce.html
Download specific versions here:
https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.ambientweatherstore.com/ssl/ws2000/

There could be different reasons for not running the latest version. It could be that the latest version has a not yet resolved bug that was recently discovered. Or you may prefer a previous version if a feature was changed or removed. You can go back and forward version numbers. It sometimes is recommended to do a factory reset if going backwards version. This is not documented anywhere but is a normal good practice with firmware flashing. If you only go up in version number then it is not necessary to factory reset. Sometime a factory reset is a good way to solve problems that seem strange.

There are two types of files you may find in the download directory of all versions of the firmware. There are factory.bin files and there are user.bin files. There is not really a technical difference between them. You can in fact rename a factory.bin to be a user.bin or the other way around. The reason for the two different names is that at the end of the firmware upgrade the factory.bin file prompts you to press any key to reboot. But doing so causes the display tablet to reboot with the SD card still in it (as the instructions are to leave it in there and power it off). So if you reboot then as it boots up again you enter a firmware flashing again! So the same version overwrites the version you just flashed. Which means that probably the factory.bin flashing instructions that have not been published probably have a step where when it says to press any key to reboot, before pressing the key you probably should remove the SD card. Then you press any key and it reboots. After flashing with a factory.bin file the file remains on the SD card. It seems that the current versions and flashing instructions are to instead use the file named as user.bin instead of factory.bin. When using this new user.bin naming the firmware updating looks the same till it finishes and then it doesn’t prompt for a key to be pressed. Instead you see a 3 second count down and it restarts automatically. Since you’ve left the SD card inserted you would think that it would begin updating again upon reboot….but it doesn’t. Upon inspection of the SD card after a firmware flash you’ll notice that the user.bin file has been deleted. It doesn’t format the SD card…it just deletes that one user.bin file. It seems that using the user.bin file name is simpler. You can always download the file again if you are changing or testing versions and you can keep a record of all of them on your computer for possible future use. So it doesn’t matter that the file gets deleted. I’ve tested the factory.bin files and renamed them to be user.bin and it works as I’ve stated, and it also works as expected the other way around when you rename a user.bin to factory.bin.

The important thing to know when flashing an older version of the firmware is that the file must be named user.bin (or factory.bin). You’ll need to rename it as you copy it to the SD card from your computer.

The reason the older firmware files have numbers in the file name is only to identify the older versions. Today if you download user.bin it will be 1.3.7. But if a newer version comes out then Ambient renames the file in their download repository to user-1-3-7.bin or something like that. Then they place the newest version as user.bin. This allows you to always download user.bin and you don’t need to rename. But if you inadvertently click on the download link twice you may end up with more than one copy of the file on your computer. The first one will be user.bin and the second click will get renamed by your computer browser to user(1).bin or something like that. If you previously downloaded a prior version (like days, weeks before) and you didn’t delete it from your download folder then even though you think you just clicked once you are in fact downloading a second file name user.bin and it will get renamed. In this case if you go looking for user.bin that is the prior version that you never deleted in your downloads. So pay close attention to the file name that gets saved by your browser and clean out your download folder to avoid this problem.

Steps to flash Revision Firmware
- Power down display tablet
- Insert SD card with user.bin file
- Power up WS-2000 display tablet
- Wait for firmware update to complete successfully and restart
- Remove SD card and insert your other optional SD card for data storage (optional step)
- Sometimes a power cycle may be needed…do one anyway for good measure.

When flashing the firmware it is rather interesting how there currently is a typo during the update process. Instead of using the word Update or Upgrade they have made up a new word Upgrate and it shows up that way a couple times.

Upgrate! (firmware flashing - do not power off)
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

user.bin automatic reboot after flashing

factory.bin prompt for any key after flashing

Ambient's Firmware Download Repository Has Mistakes

The next point I’d like to make is that it seems that the old versions that you can download have not been maintained and renamed to the appropriate version numbers. I’ve tested all these and there are a few mistakes.

download link for all versions:
https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.ambientweatherstore.com/ssl/ws2000/

Firmware version number corrections:
factory-1_0_7.bin > is really 1.0.8
factory-1_1_0.bin > is really 1.0.9
factory.bin > is really 1.2.0

The rest of them are named correctly. (user.bin is always the current version). When a new version comes out, the prior user.bin becomes userXXX.bin where XXX represents the actual version of that file, and the newest one is put there as just user.bin. You can't flash a userXXX.bin unless you rename it first back to user.bin.

WiFi Firmware
The other type of firmware that the WS-2000 uses is what is called the WiFi firmware. The purpose of this other firmware is to connect to your WiFi and is also responsible for uploading your data to Weather Underground and ambientweather.net …etc. When you look at your station info details in WU you’ll see this version number reported as the name of the software that you are running. For now it seems to be matching the same name and number as the WS-2902A display console. So not surprisingly the method used to update the WiFi firmware is to use the awnet app on your Android or iOS device. You can download and install the awnet app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store on your device. Once you have the awnet app and your mobile device is connected to the same network as your WS-2000 display tablet you will see it listed in the awnet app and you can then use the app to upgrade the WiFi firmware. This firmware at this point can only be upgraded to the latest version. There currently is no method of going back a version. I recommend only upgrading to the latest version after is has been published for at least a week maybe more depending on your level of comfort. A new firmware can come with unknown bugs. If you want to be the guinea pig then go ahead and let the others know if there are any issues.

You can also use the WS View app instead of the awnet app. The WS View app is maintained by Fine Offset/Ecowitt. The WS View app is used by all other Fine Offset clones, but it works for Ambient stations too.

To see what version you are running:
- Gear Icon button
- Gear Icon button again 3 times (it’s in a different place now though)
- Arrow Up to About Display section
- Press + or – button to reveal info
- When done…Back arrow 2 times to go back to main display tablet view. (or wait a minute or two and it goes back automatically)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:51:57 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline tony

Re: WS-2000 Firmware Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 05:13:40 PM »
Thank you for time and effort you put into this post.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 05:22:50 PM »
Thanks George! I'm not an ingrate, but I guess we must all upgrate:shock:

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:17:39 PM »
Hello, has anyone tried flashing Ambient WS2000 firmware on a FO clone (HP2550/1).
The reason I ask is that there seems to be active firmware being released by Ambient but I cannot see any on the FO site.
Is there likely to be any issues?

TIA
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 01:42:30 PM »
Hello, has anyone tried flashing Ambient WS2000 firmware on a FO clone (HP2550/1).
The reason I ask is that there seems to be active firmware being released by Ambient but I cannot see any on the FO site.

TIA

I know it is possible to flash the firmware from Ambient ObserverIP over to Aercus' version of that device and it is possible to flash firmware the other way also from Aercus to Ambient. All without any problems. The interesting thing too is that both of those are designed to work on 915 MHz and the other on 433 MHz but it doesn't seem to matter to the flashed firmware...the device keeps operating on its given original frequency. This is because each device ha a radio chip for each specific frequency. What I'm saying is that the firmware doesn't care. Based on that experience I think it may be possible that the same is true for the WS-2000 and the HP2550. Of course I say this without any guarantees and proceed at your own peril. Please do report back if anyone is successful at doing this.

The other question I have for you though is why are you looking for firmware updates from Fine Offset? You should be looking for updates from whatever reseller rebranded the device you are using. So what brand is your HP2550? I'm not aware that Fine Offset sells directly to anyone other than in bulk for those that want to become a new reseller. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:51:02 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 03:02:31 PM »
I just did an upgrate to version 1.3.8. During this process the screen still says "Upgrate Firmware" in the usual places. This version 1.3.8 is supposed to correct this misspelling, but it appears to not be the case. Until you realize that the upgrade process is done by the still current running prior firmware. Meaning the device doesn't boot up with the SD card...it just reads the SD card and uses that as an image. So you wont see the correct spelling "Upgrade Firmware" until you do the next upgrade to version 1.3.9 (not out yet) or whatever follows. But you can test it because you can either downgrade to a prior firmware or install 1.3.8 on top of itself.

I did both as a test. First I upgraded to 1.3.8 (still saw "Upgrate"). Then I did a downgrade to 1.3.5 and I did then see "Upgrade Firmware" instead of "Upgrate." Then I did a upgrade back to 1.3.8 and because 1.3.5 was what was loaded last you then see "Upgrate" again. Then I did an install of 1.3.8 on top of 1.3.8 and I saw "Upgrade" spelled correctly. Yep all this is meaning less for the functionality of your station. But it was interesting none the less as a test and learning exercise.

No more "Upgrate Firmware" but I think Upgrate may live on just like All your base are belong to us.

Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
Yes! the bonus 1k of hPa has been fixed!!  =D>

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 04:42:58 PM »
Yes! the bonus 1k of hPa has been fixed!!  =D>

I'm curious if the bonus 1000 hpa was only seen on the display or if you look at the history log on the tablet if it is in that data chart or not? Basically I'm wondering if you have bad data or not?

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:30:49 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »
Thanks for asking.

The bonus / bogus 1k was only seen ever on the WS-2000 Display Tablet. The Ambient Weather (browser) Dashboard, WU, etc. never reflected the issue that appears to have been peculiar with only v1.3.7. - you can examine the data yourself, if you like; see attached.

N.B. The date time field (first column) was a little tricky importing into OpenOffice Calc requiring right clicking over the field in the import dialog. If you use some other spreadsheet program, it may not be an issue for you.

I'm curious if the bonus 1000 hpa was only seen on the display or of you look at the history log on the tablet if it is in that data chart or not? Basically I'm wondering if you have bad data or not?

Offline Theo

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 05:28:11 PM »
Thanks for asking.

The bonus / bogus 1k was only seen ever on the WS-2000 Display Tablet. The Ambient Weather (browser) Dashboard, WU, etc. never reflected the issue that appears to have been peculiar with only v1.3.7. - you can examine the data yourself, if you like; see attached.

N.B. The date time field (first column) was a little tricky importing into OpenOffice Calc requiring right clicking over the field in the import dialog. If you use some other spreadsheet program, it may not be an issue for you.

I'm curious if the bonus 1000 hpa was only seen on the display or of you look at the history log on the tablet if it is in that data chart or not? Basically I'm wondering if you have bad data or not?

Yup, when I went through the testing of it, it seemed like it was not clearing the 4 digit to the left of the decimal, so it only happened when one reading was above 1000 and one below 1000.  Display only, no data issue.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 09:46:24 PM »
I didn't import your data file. I just opened it in Excel and could see all the data. But I can see how the first column is not formated for normal user consumption. I believe it was done that way to have a unique identifier.

And you right no bad data. So I guess it was as you both said just a screen draw bug.
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 07:17:51 AM »

TIA

I know it is possible to flash the firmware from Ambient ObserverIP over to Aercus' version of that device and it is possible to flash firmware the other way also from Aercus to Ambient. All without any problems. The interesting thing too is that both of those are designed to work on 915 MHz and the other on 433 MHz but it doesn't seem to matter to the flashed firmware...the device keeps operating on its given original frequency. This is because each device ha a radio chip for each specific frequency. What I'm saying is that the firmware doesn't care. Based on that experience I think it may be possible that the same is true for the WS-2000 and the HP2550. Of course I say this without any guarantees and proceed ad your own peril. Please do report back if anyone is successful at doing this.

The other question I have for you though is why are you looking for firmware updates from Fine Offset? You should be looking for updates from whatever reseller rebranded the device you are using. So what brand is your HP2550? I'm not aware that Fine Offset sells directly to anyone other than in bulk for those that want to become a new reseller. Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Its an entirely theoretical question at this stage as I have yet to get my hands on the new station. I intend to order in a few weeks along with all the new sensors.
For reference whilst Fine Offset only officially sell in bulk (min 500 devices) you can purchase from them through Ecowitt which is their new direct to public selling brand. It is the same folks. It might be that their (Ecowitt) android app (WS View) gives the same functionality as AW's version. I will see what's what when I have the shiny new kit in hand to replace my old 10 year old Fine Offset model!

As a thought I would be curious to see what happens if someone with a AW station installs the WS View app and what that reports to you!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:28:22 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
They say the 1.3.8 ver improves Rf transmission. My station dropped out yesterday for 20min, came back until this morning and now is "out"  for 2+hrs. Would this fw update help with this? If not, I'm not going to deal with this and just send it back. I've only had the unit less then a week and reliability is questionable.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 09:45:37 AM »

TIA

I know it is possible to flash the firmware from Ambient ObserverIP over to Aercus' version of that device and it is possible to flash firmware the other way also from Aercus to Ambient. All without any problems. The interesting thing too is that both of those are designed to work on 915 MHz and the other on 433 MHz but it doesn't seem to matter to the flashed firmware...the device keeps operating on its given original frequency. This is because each device ha a radio chip for each specific frequency. What I'm saying is that the firmware doesn't care. Based on that experience I think it may be possible that the same is true for the WS-2000 and the HP2550. Of course I say this without any guarantees and proceed ad your own peril. Please do report back if anyone is successful at doing this.

Its an entirely theoretical question at this stage as I have yet to get my hands on the new station. I intend to order in a few weeks along with all the new sensors.
For reference whilst Fine Offset only officially sell in bulk (min 500 devices) you can purchase from them through Ecowitt which is their new direct to public selling brand. It is the same folks. It might be that their (Ecowitt) android app (WS View) gives the same functionality as AW's version. I will see what's what when I have the shiny new kit in hand to replace my old 10 year old Fine Offset model!

As a thought I would be curious to see what happens if someone with a AW station installs the WS View app and what that reports to you!

I'm familiar with Ecowitt but I had no idea that Fine Offset owned them or that they are one and the same. How do you know this? Their web domains are registered with two different registrars and hosted with different companies. How do you know that Ecowitt is not just another reseller like Ambient, Misol, Foggit...etc?

I installed WS View on my mobile device. The app does not see either of my consoles (WS-2000 and WS-2902A). I also tried WS Tool and it also doesn't see either console.

Strangely enough I've looked at Ecowitt's website and I didn't find any firmware download links for the HP2551.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 09:46:52 AM »
They say the 1.3.8 ver improves Rf transmission. My station dropped out yesterday for 20min, came back until this morning and now is "out"  for 2+hrs. Would this fw update help with this? If not, I'm not going to deal with this and just send it back. I've only had the unit less then a week and reliability is questionable.

Well 1.3.8 has not even been out a day. Try it. Let us know.
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »

TIA

I'm familiar with Ecowitt but I had no idea that Fine Offset owned them or that they are one and the same. How do you know this? Their web domains are registered with two different registrars and hosted with different companies. How do you know that Ecowitt is not just another reseller like Ambient, Misol, Foggit...etc?

I installed WS View on my mobile device. The app does not see either of my consoles (WS-2000 and WS-2902A). I also tried WS Tool and it also doesn't see either console.

Strangely enough I've looked at Ecowitt's website and I didn't find any firmware download links for the HP2551.

I cant say for 100% but I have been in dialogue with Lucy @ fine offset sales via e-mail and she has been switching back and forth with reference to Ecowitt. You will find she also posts as Ecowitt on this forum and others. She has made reference to the factory and design team and the development work going on, so in my mind its fairly clear they are the same. It is certainly clear that Ecowitt is bringing to market all the new sensors and products ahead of anyone else including Ambient. I must say though their websites are not great so they have some way to go to establish themselves!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 11:35:14 AM »

TIA

I cant say for 100% but I have been in dialogue with Lucy @ fine offset sales via e-mail and she has been switching back and forth with reference to Ecowitt. You will find she also posts as Ecowitt on this forum and others. She has made reference to the factory and design team and the development work going on, so in my mind its fairly clear they are the same. It is certainly clear that Ecowitt is bringing to market all the new sensors and products ahead of anyone else including Ambient. I must say though their websites are not great so they have some way to go to establish themselves!

I see your point about Lucy and the back and forth reference between Ecowitt and Fine Offset. I too have had extensive dialog with Ed @ Ambient. Since I've worked with him on bug reporting, testing, and future feature upgrades, Ed refers to the engineers at Fine Offset as "his" engineers. He even provided me direct contact email with Fine Offset engineers to work out firmware issues. I think resellers of Fine Offset have a very close relationship. I think Fine Offset makes the resellers feel like they are business partners in the same company. But the reality is that they are all separate companies with special business relationships and agreements. I'm not doubting that there is a chance that Ecowitt is Fine Offset. I'm just saying that we need more evidence or confirmation.

Actually come to think of it I just remembered something with regards to Ecowitt. I've dealt with Lucy regarding the bird spikes that they sell. I asked her point blank if this was a product that is coming from Fine Offset or if it was something that they decided to do own their own. She responded back saying that it was not from Fine Offset and that they had developed the bird spikes on their own. I ended up buying Ecowitt's bird spikes. I forgot that I had them as I've yet to see evidence of bird issues. I haven't installed them yet. The fact that Fine Offset doesn't have these bird spikes that fit their stations and no other Fine Offset reseller has these bird spikes leads me to believe that Ecowitt is a reseller and different company than Fine Offset.

* by the way the Ecowitt bird spikes even though I haven't installed them yet look very nice. Much nicer than the DIY zip tie method.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:45:54 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
You are probably right though the only clue I have is that I have been communicating with Lucy about procuring a mix of items (some of which are not listed on the Ecowitt website) and some that are and this has all been through the Fine offset sales e-mail address. This came about when I e-mailed Fine offset about European availability and started a dialogue about what I would like that they offered to provide it through Ecowitt!

I am possibly adding 2 and 2 and making 5 and there could well be a Lucy at both Ecowitt and Fine offset but I am fairly convinced that the same helpful person are one and the same.
Not that it makes any difference really, but it is good to know that you can buy any fine offset kit in any configuration now from Ecowitt.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 12:41:52 PM »
I cant say for 100% but I have been in dialogue with Lucy @ fine offset sales via e-mail and she has been switching back and forth with reference to Ecowitt.
I have received and reported on the new Ecowitt sensor series through contact with Lucy.  The follow up and shipment and tracking communication was from Fine Offset and yesterday Lucy suggested I do a firmware update for the WS View App to V1.3.8 and that worked fine.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
I cant say for 100% but I have been in dialogue with Lucy @ fine offset sales via e-mail and she has been switching back and forth with reference to Ecowitt.
I have received and reported on the new Ecowitt sensor series through contact with Lucy.  The follow up and shipment and tracking communication was from Fine Offset and yesterday Lucy suggested I do a firmware update for the WS View App to V1.3.8 and that worked fine.

Enjoy,
Paul

Thanks Paul, I feel vindicated now!
It makes me even more excited to receive my new kit. I liked your review by the way...very thorough.
I too have offered to undertake a review of the new kit and will post my findings. I am hoping that all the sensors and gateway integrate with the console and sensor array as well.
I suspect that they will given from what I have seen being revealed about the firmware updates.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 01:30:30 PM »
Please provide a link to Paul's review. Thanks!

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
Thank you Mandrake and thanks to PaulMy too! - Nice article!!

Do you think the soil sensor will interface with the WS-2000?

Paul's review can be found here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/91232-ecowitt-wifi-weather-sensor-series/

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 12:59:57 PM »
Thank you Mandrake and thanks to PaulMy too! - Nice article!!

Do you think the soil sensor will interface with the WS-2000?

Paul's review can be found here:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/91232-ecowitt-wifi-weather-sensor-series/

Not certain, but given that the air quality meter will do soon there is a chance.
I am also getting the new gateway so that will capture the data from the AQM and soil moisture sensor and also the WH32 Thermo/hydro sensor of which I am getting a bunch. I am hoping it will also capture the data from the HP2550/WS2000 sensor mast though the manual does not mention it but I cant think why they wouldn't add that capability since they are all the same family.
I am not certain but I am guessing the new GW1000 Gateway is the next evolution of the IP logger product.
Once I have all the kit in my hands in mid Feb I will post my findings.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline Bucs44

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 03:32:49 PM »
How long does this process take to upload the new firmware to the display unit?  I have copied the most recent bin file 1.3.8 and powered down the display unit and inserted the SD card and then powered the unit back on and it seems like nothing happens.  Does it happen instantaneously?