Author Topic: *NEW* Network enabled data logger  (Read 12825 times)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
*NEW* Network enabled data logger
« on: December 15, 2006, 11:25:10 AM »
Saw a post about this on another forum...

Davis shows a new datalogger to be available in the future that will be network enabled...

Looking for input from tinplate here, because in the other forum (I think the Weather Display forum?) he compared/contrasted the cost of using his software vs the new hardware.

If I understand correctly, by using VirtualVP, you can now access data across a network, but... you still have to have the data logger connected to a computer?

Sounds like with the new data logger, this is no longer a requirement?

The important thing to me would be that you could put the console anywhere in your house that you had a LAN connection, it's no longer tethered to a computer...

Are my assumptions correct?
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: *NEW* Network enabled data logger
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 12:06:14 PM »
It's called WeatherLinkIP and it is in the Davis Instruments 2007 Catalog. Got my copy (of the catalog) the other day in the mail.

Availability is late Spring 2007. It's a model 6555 WeathLinkIP $295 (US).

The unit is a new version of the datalogger which plugs into the VP2 console or the Envoy. All you have to do is plug it into your cable/DSL router, do some minimal configuration settings and it will automatically upload data to third-party weather sites including CWOP, GLOBE and more.

According to the catalog description;
WeathLinkIP is "plug-and-play", so it will work straight out of the box without additional configuration in most situations. Simple configuration steps are required to upload to third-party weather sites or set e-mail alerts conditions.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 02:48:14 PM »
Here's a link to the Davis website where the new WeatherLinkIP is described:
    http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06555[/list]
    Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
    Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
    StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
    --- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
    --- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
      • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
    « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 11:12:40 PM »
    I still have a number of questions about this new  product. I think it's a good idea, because many people have asked for the ability to connect the console via ethernet because they don't have or don't want a computer where their console is. For people that have or will have their computer near the console, I'm not sure how many will want to spend the $130 extra for that.

One of the things I'm curious about is the part about downloading data to multiple computers. This sounds like they're putting in functionality like what VirtualVP provides.

Other questions have to do with their direct CWOP submission. I'm hoping they will also improve the data that gets submitted vs. the current state of WeatherLink (only sending the rain since midnight and not the more important 24 hr rain for example).

Some more good news in this (unless you are an author that has to do the work) is that weather programs will likely now have to support direct TCP/IP connection to the console to support this new data logger. This would be great. VirtualVP supports it going out already, and VPLive supports it as an input. It's just so much cleaner than serial, and would eliminate the need for the virtual COM port driver. I just hope they don't invent a new protocol at the same time. It would be nice if it was a straight conversion from serial to TCP/IP like what I did for VirtualVP and VPLive.

Bottom line for me is that it will probably take away some potential VirtualVP sales, but for people that will be connecting to a computer anyway, and will be running non-WeatherLink software, $30 for VirtualVP is a lot cheaper than the extra $130 that this new data logger costs vs. the serial version.

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
      • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
    « Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 08:35:06 AM »
    I wager the new logger is an embedded Linux appliance and the interface will be HTTP and/or FTP and the data streams as we know them today will go away.

Quote from: "tinplate"

One of the things I'm curious about is the part about downloading data to multiple computers. This sounds like they're putting in functionality like what VirtualVP provides.

Bottom line for me is that it will probably take away some potential VirtualVP sales

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Looks like they are going to use some type of concurrent connection licensing so you will have to pay extra for additional connections.

With Extra User License Kits, you can even download the data independently to multiple PCs—

I bet these client licenses won't be cheap.
    Tom
    W4SNA
    IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
    Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
      Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
    Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    « Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:50:14 AM »
    What might be most interesting, is whether one would be able to install multiple remote stations, connected to a LAN, and control/gather data from one central point.

The untethering from a PC is what's keeping me interested...

I could install a station at my parents house in another state, and they wouldn't need it attached to a PC that's running 24/7... and... (in theory) I could control it from here...
    Marc
    Wilmington, NC

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
      • NH Weather Data
    « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »
    Quote from: "ncpilot"

I could install a station at my parents house in another state, and they wouldn't need it attached to a PC that's running 24/7... and... (in theory) I could control it from here...

Maybe not control it, but possibly gather data from it.  :wink:

Bob
    www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Online SLOweather

• Global Moderator
    • Forecaster
      • Weatherelement Moline IL
    « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 06:10:24 PM »
    Quote from: "talbert1952"
    I wager the new logger is an embedded Linux appliance and the interface will be HTTP and/or FTP and the data streams as we know them today will go away.

Quote from: "tinplate"

Bottom line for me is that it will probably take away some potential VirtualVP sales

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Looks like they are going to use some type of concurrent connection licensing so you will have to pay extra for additional connections.

With Extra User License Kits, you can even download the data independently to multiple PCs—

I bet these client licenses won't be cheap.

And therein is the place for a network VirtualVP to replace the licensing hooey...

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    « Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 11:04:46 PM »
    Quote from: "racenet"
    Maybe not control it, but possibly gather data from it.  :wink: Bob

But surely if this interface replaces a serial/USB, you would expect to be able to access the station, how else would you be able to change settings? And since it's a network connection, it shouldn't care where the computer is, unlike a serial or USB which must be physically connected to the computer...

But this is all speculation until Davis releases more info...
    Marc
    Wilmington, NC

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
      • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
    « Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 10:37:59 PM »
    Quote from: "ncpilot"

Yeah, just plug the ethernet cable in to your adsl modem with appropriate port forwarding, and you could have your station almost anywhere you can get 240 volts and a phone line to, and still be able to play.  :)
    Brendan,
    vk4blp
    IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

Offline PSJohn

• Senior Contributor
      • DesertWeather.com
    « Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 01:41:56 AM »

This is what I'm hoping for! I have relatives scatter through out the area and would like to create a "regional weather network".
    John Slama
    Palm Springs, California
    Davis Vantage Pro 2, FARS

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
    • WxElement panel
    • Forecaster
    • Station will be back up someday...
      • Forecaster without a site
    « Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 08:38:08 AM »
    Quote from: "weatheroz"
    ... you could have your station almost anywhere you can get 240 volts and a phone line to, and still be able to play.  :)

That's right, you guys down under need twice the voltage we do because <fill in your favorite zing here>.  :wink:
    Rick (N9RJH)
    Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    « Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 10:45:54 AM »
    Quote from: "k6dyc"
    ... you could have your station almost anywhere you can get 240 volts and a phone line to, and still be able to play.  :)

That's right, you guys down under need twice the voltage we do because <fill in your favorite zing here>.  :wink:

I didn't want to say anything when I noticed that... :lol:
    Marc
    Wilmington, NC

Online SLOweather

• Global Moderator
    • Forecaster
    « Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 11:11:33 AM »

Yeah, their "conductors" are smaller than ours. Size matters. ;)

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
    • WxElement panel
    • Forecaster
    • Station will be back up someday...
      • Forecaster without a site
    « Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 09:25:05 AM »
    Quote from: "SLOweather"

Wow, you're brutal!  Be careful, I understand that OZ is 6'7" (200.66cm) tall and just might come kick your patootie.
    Rick (N9RJH)
    Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Online SLOweather

• Global Moderator
    • Forecaster
    « Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 10:02:35 AM »
    Hey, hey hey, I was just talkin' about the P=IE part of Ohm's Law. For the same wattage appliance, for double the voltage, the current is halved, so the minimum circular mils of the conductor is less, and therefore the wire in smaller in diameter.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    « Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 11:02:58 AM »
    But if the wire is a smaller diameter, is it longer?  :wink: Because then length would matter more than thickness...
    Marc
    Wilmington, NC

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    « Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 11:03:39 AM »
    Yeah, Davis will take us seriously if they monitor this thread...
    Marc
    Wilmington, NC

Offline weatheroz

• Senior Contributor
      • http://www.jimboombaweather.com
    « Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 06:18:34 PM »
    Quote from: "SLOweather"

Dem's der fighting words !  ;)
    Brendan,
    vk4blp
    IRLP 6857 Echolink 672767

anything