Author Topic: Will it be vandalism or...something else that is easily correctd?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Well, I noticed the other day that the image from the weather cam had some type of mark in the center of it.  I meant to check it but have had several things going on.  Tonight I looked at the image and there is definitely something there...I'm hoping it's some debris that some of the recent storms blew against the camera housing window and it stuck.  Otherwise either a rock or pellet gun appears to have marked it.  :?  I'll drag the ladder out tomorrow and check it out, though looking at it it doesn't look good.  I hope I'm surprised with good news....I could use some.  Ed

Updating image:

Night capture, in case you're reading this during the daytime it shows the mark better:

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:54:18 PM by Intheswamp »

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
Re: Will it be vandalism or...something else that is easily correctd?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »
It may well be a bit of translucent debris on the glass, the night image is showing a couple of partial diffraction rings from the two lights on the front of the store across the street.  Do you have any images from before either day or night that we can compare this to?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:03:58 AM by corwyyn »
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 06:28:19 AM »
Looks as if it cleaned itself up  =D>

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
Looks as if it cleaned itself up  =D>
Yeah, looking at the current daytime image I don't see anything that would point toward damage from a BB gun or similar, probably a spot left from a rain drop that dried after a recent storm.  Here's a comparison of the night image above and the most recent image I was able to copy:

I even tried sharpening the daytime image to see if anything matched up but got nada.  If there were damage from some type of strike it would probably show as at least an out-of-focus spot at that location. 
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
I thought I had already replied, but I guess the message is still on the computer at the house...I need to remember to hit "Send", eh?  :roll:  Of course, that message didn't have the info below in it...

I checked the camera out and the window in the housing looks good.  I even looked with a magnifying glass  :grin: and saw no scratches or anything.  Unless there is something that has gotten on the actual camera lens inside the housing it looks good...it must of been *something* on the lens.  I went ahead and wiped it off...damp rag and then a dry one...I figured it probably needed cleaning anyhow due to grime from the downtown traffic maybe soiling it.

We'll see if the mysterious "X"  returns tonight. ;)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:54:01 PM »
Looks like the mark(?) is gone!!!!!  \:D/  I can't tell if those halos around the lights are from fresh moisture in the air condensing or if the inner service of the housing window or the camera lens has acquired a haze that needs cleaning....??

Glad to see it wasn't a rock or something.  We've been broken into several times through the years and have had a window or two shot...hazards of being in a downtown, (somewhat) high traffic zone.  :-|

Anyhow, we're good to go! :)

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

anything