Author Topic: AcuRite Access??  (Read 25468 times)

Offline daman

• Forecaster
AcuRite Access??
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: AcuRite Access??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »
I just got the Email with the invite this afternoon. Looks like they're trying to give existing customers a chance to upgrade at a reduced price. But I need more information before I would update. Looking for a product link. Its shipping sometime in January.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
Is this for the new stations coming out or just a updated hub or?
KMIBADAX38

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
Its says its for ..

•Support for current My AcuRite compatible sensors
•Expandable to support new My AcuRite compatible sensors

So I guess that means its for the upcoming Elite Atlas line and its sensors.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:23:58 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
The new access hub looks like the one in the picture on Amazon for the Atlas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XK4BSN/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IYMOKVOU6OIQ0&colid=MUG0SDO321YO&psc=0

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 04:31:46 PM »
Is the Access being released for January 2019 or January 2020?  #-o

Offline txbayou

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »
Hate to say it but if you buy this, be prepared to fall back on your old flip up hub a few times while they work out the bugs on the new Access unit. There are bound to be some . Maybe thats the idea behind this low price intro: to get a crowd of test drivers for the new hub before they release it as the standard hub for the  Atlas or as a standalone upgrade for as they say $90 more?

Would be nice to have more specs and I might just take the intro offer if there was a chance of better signal reception than with the flip up hub. How long does the intro offer run?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:50:49 PM by txbayou »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:34:30 PM »
KMIBADAX38

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »
Is the Access being released for January 2019 or January 2020?  #-o
19 I take it.
KMIBADAX38

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
How long does the intro offer run?

I'm thinking of signing up. My Email says....   

Once you sign up, we will notify you with an offer code that’s unique to your email, which you can use to complete your AcuRite Access order.

Sounds like I don't have to use the code if I don't want to.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »
How long does the intro offer run?

I'm thinking of signing up. My Email says....   

Once you sign up, we will notify you with an offer code that’s unique to your email, which you can use to complete your AcuRite Access order.

Sounds like I don't have to use the code if you don't want to.
I sighed up just to get on the list, not saying ill use it.
KMIBADAX38

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »
Some of you guys are such Negative Nancies.  ;)

The SmartHUB hardware was getting pretty long in the tooth.  There just wasn't much memory or other resources there left to work with.

The Access resolves that issue.

It will be necessary for the 433MHz Atlas.

There have been some technical changes that will make network interception of the data more difficult, if not impossible.  Data is encrypted going to myAcurite.  Data to wunderground is currently not.  That could always change, though.

Also, data seems to be stored and sent to myAcurite in 5-minute intervals.  I imagine this is to cut down on the traffic and processing on their end.  Data to wunderground is still sent "rapid-fire", though.  Again, this could always change.

So in its current form, you could always sniff the wunderground data.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:15:22 PM by nincehelser »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »

The SmartHUB hardware was getting pretty long in the tooth.  There just wasn't much memory or other resources there left to work with.

There have been some technical changes that will make network interception of the data more difficult, if not impossible.  Data is encrypted going to myAcurite.  Data to wunderground is currently not.  That could always change, though.

Also, data seems to be stored and sent to myAcurite in 5-minute intervals.  I imagine this is to cut down on the traffic and processing on their end.  Data to wunderground is still sent "rapid-fire", though.  Again, this could always change.

So this new Access will have plenty of room for updates,etc?
KMIBADAX38

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »

That's the plan.  I don't know any specifics of how much memory it has, nor have I opened it up to see what's inside, though.

I've gone through a few update cycles without a hitch.  Like before, there's no user involvement.  It just updates quietly when one is available.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 05:33:04 PM »

That's the plan.  I don't know any specifics of how much memory it has, nor have I opened it up to see what's inside, though.

I've gone through a few update cycles without a hitch.  Like before, there's no user involvement.  It just updates quietly when one is available.
Is there any internal interface like the old hub has as to see signal strength etc?
KMIBADAX38

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »
Is there any internal interface like the old hub has as to see signal strength etc?

There is still an internal "splash" page like the SmartHUB for debugging purposes.

They have done away with the "app" and "boot" firmware levels, though.  Now there is only one number.

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 05:37:21 PM »

The one thing I dreaded they would do. Ugh. Was really hoping for an API, or at least an MQTT implementation.  :sad:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »
The one thing I dreaded they would do. Ugh. Was really hoping for an API, or at least an MQTT implementation.  :sad:

So am I, but I suspect such a thing is not out of the question for a future release.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »

There is still an internal "splash" page like the SmartHUB for debugging purposes.

They have done away with the "app" and "boot" firmware levels, though.  Now there is only one number.
Thanks George
KMIBADAX38

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »
Any thoughts on how the signal is with this vs. the current smart hub? I'm still getting random disconnects on one of my hubs/stations.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 03:53:01 PM »
Any thoughts on how the signal is with this vs. the current smart hub? I'm still getting random disconnects on one of my hubs/stations.

I've been running two of them at two sites.  They're also running in parallel with SmartHUBs.

I haven't seen any difference as far as signal reception goes.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »
So we can discuss the little mushroom antenna now? 8) This thing is so simple to install. I'm getting 4 full bars on mine, so my signal is much better on the access than it was with the smarthub. I found that having it sit with the back of it pointing towards the outdoor sensors was best. If I turn it just a bit, the signal will go down.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:20:05 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline A1cntrler

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 08:57:40 PM »
I didn't find any difference in signal vs my SmartHub.  I'm in a stucco constructed home (wire with concrete walls) and am about 30-50 feet from my various sensors it reads from. 

The best feature is the battery backup.  Still miss that I can't pick and choose which sensors I want to share to WU and that only WU is the only choice.  I'll stick to my SmartHub and hope for integration with my Meteobridge for the Access (although from reading here it looks like the data is encrypted now and can't be sniffed out?).  With the all-in-one stations that are available it's hard to site properly for all the readings.  If you're good for one reading, you're off for the others.  As it is now for me I use a Tower in a radiation shield for my temperature and humidity for my reports to WU and others I share with through Meteobridge.
Ambient WS-5000 (KVACHEST93)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »
The Access uses a vertical helical antenna.  It takes up maybe about half of the vertical height of the Access chassis.  There's a funny little "bumper" on the end of the antenna.  I guess they didn't want it whacking against the sides if somebody shook the Access?

The antenna looks to be a much cleaner installation than the bent-wire antenna in the SmartHUB and is certainly a better omni.

Other things I noticed in my quick-look was that the main processor appears to be an ARM2.

There's a rather large shielded area, too.  I suspect that's where the radio components are.  There were no markings on it.

The baro sensor (if I identified it correctly) appears to be a tiny thing.  It's so tiny it's hard to read the markings.

I've got some pics, but I've been asked not to post pics of the internals yet.  The layout does look nice, though.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 09:25:04 PM »
I didn't find any difference in signal vs my SmartHub.  I'm in a stucco constructed home (wire with concrete walls) and am about 30-50 feet from my various sensors it reads from. 

The best feature is the battery backup.  Still miss that I can't pick and choose which sensors I want to share to WU and that only WU is the only choice.  I'll stick to my SmartHub and hope for integration with my Meteobridge for the Access (although from reading here it looks like the data is encrypted now and can't be sniffed out?).  With the all-in-one stations that are available it's hard to site properly for all the readings.  If you're good for one reading, you're off for the others.  As it is now for me I use a Tower in a radiation shield for my temperature and humidity for my reports to WU and others I share with through Meteobridge.
I have asked about adding CWOP to the choices of sites to send data, but I haven't heard anything. I would expect it should be simple to do, being that they use Lat/longitude and a simple identifier, but I am not sure.
As far as "sniffing" data to an external device like a pi, meteobridge, etc, I have no clue if that will work again. I would hope so.

anything